PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Fiat a few questions for ya.

Blown 472
04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
First off are there any regs as far as battery fuel cell placement? I am going to cut the spare tire well out of my car and put the battery and fuel cell in there with the battery in front of the cell and the cell more towards the back of the car.
Second, when alky burns rather then explode does it burn thru the entire stroke or does it act like gas and burn the charge and add no power to the rest of the stroke? also if it burns longer then gas do you have to change the exhaust valve timing?

Fiat48
04-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I never ran a door car but I do know the fuel cell and the battery can go in the trunk. I would use a full battery box to keep the battery covered and securely mount everything with 3/8's bolts.
A ground strap is required on the fuel cell.
As far as the alky...it is a slower burn than gas but nothing to be concerned with. Unblown do 40 degrees total timing. Blown keep it at 34. It would like to see 36 blown but it tends to get to parts when you do that. Less timing just creates more exhaust heat and tulips valves.
As far as cam timing, generally alky likes wider lobe seperations. But it is not imperative you do so. I run 114. Known guys to run 116.
We've run 110 and run damn good that way. The stuff is just not that picky.

Blown 472
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the info :rollside:

fc-pilot
04-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I would have kept my mouth shut, but figured since I have a rulebook sitting on my desk I may as well help out.
The Battery must be in an NHRA accepted sealed box (unless you put in a rear firewall of .024 steel or .032 aluminum) and must be vented outside the body. When the battery is relocated it MUST be secured to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8 bolts. Metal battery hold down straps prohibited. This is on page 221-222 of the rulebook in the general regulations area, section 8:1
All fuel tanks must be isolated from driver’s compartment by a firewall that is completely sealed. All tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented out side of the body. Section 1:5 of general regulations
This way you know what the tech inspectors will be looking for when you roll in. Now not to be a jerk, but one of our motors made its best power when the timing was at 33 degrees. That was an alky injected 600 cubic inch big block Chevy that didn't act like any other motor I have ever seen. The moral is sneak up on the timing; don't just jump right on up there. You never know what it may want. Good luck.
Paul

Blown 472
04-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Thank you too.