PDA

View Full Version : Running 4 batteries

doogie
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
When running 4 batteries, 2 for the engine and the other 2 for the stereo system, would you want the 2 from the system be connected to the alternator? Would this harm anything connecting them this way? What does everyone recommend? Thanks. Doogie

Phat Matt
06-17-2004, 08:03 PM
A battery switch.

hd&boatrider
06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
I run 5 in mine. One on switch 1 and 4 on switch 2. I usually just keep it on all continuously. I don't know if my alternator really puts out enough to charge all the batteries but I hook up a battery charger every night. When not in use I turn off the batteries. They seem to be holding up very well.

riverbound
06-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Run only one batt on number 1 and run the other 3 on batt 2 your4 boat will not need more than 1 good batt to start. More batts= more play time with out engine running.

Jetdriver
06-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive.

SCUBA STEVE
06-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Dave aka Doogie, The way I did mine, which isnt the most popular way, is I have 2 batteries per channel on the perko switch. As you know I dont have a ton of wattage for amps, usually 2 batteries will last me all day. But if they dont I can switch it to the other 2 batteries. And when its time to start the boat, I just turn the perko switch to all, and run it on all until the next destination.
Then charge all the batteries when the boat is off the water.
If I happen to drain all the batteries when its time to start, thats when the jump box comes in, or jumper cables, which I havent had a need for yet. (knock on wood) :D
See you in 2 weeks! :cool: :D

TrojanDan
06-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
your boat will not need more than 1 good batt to start.
Good suggestion. I finally did that with our system and was able to take out an extra starting battery. Make sure that the one starting battery has enough CCA to start the engine though. I went with the Optima Blue Top starting battery (dark grey case, not the light grey one) for the engine. :cool:

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive.
yes

rivercrazy
06-18-2004, 08:53 AM
If I was running 4 batteries, I would run 3 together in parallel (negative terminal to negative terminal and positive terminal to positive terminal across all 3 batts) for the stereo. Then just have 1 battery reserved just for starting duty. The 3 batteries connected in parallel will have more stable voltage over a longer period of time. That will be easier on the amplifers and possibly not run them down as far making the batteries last longer (depending on how loud and long you play your system)

ROZ
06-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Would you wire the batteries In series and then to the switch? ie. positive to positive. That's parallel, and it's what you want to do.... + to + and - to - .....
EDIT: Just like RC said :D

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
+ to + and - to - .....
was what my "yes" was for. :)

throwerb
06-18-2004, 12:58 PM
A question for you guys on the same subject. Can you run the alternator charging wire straight to the positive terminal on the perko switch. Thanks... throwerb

Jetdriver
06-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys!

riverbound
06-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by throwerb
A question for you guys on the same subject. Can you run the alternator charging wire straight to the positive terminal on the perko switch. Thanks... throwerb
Yes

Jetdriver
06-18-2004, 01:24 PM
WOW I actually got useful info from the boards today!

ROZ
06-18-2004, 01:28 PM
WOW I actually got useful info from the boards today! a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down :D

Jetdriver
06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
No thats Funny ROZ!

doogie
06-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for everyone’s advice. Scuba sounds like I should invest in a jump box. This would seem like a must have being out on the water all day bumping the system. I think I will run one battery to position 1 on the switch, which will be used to start the boat, and the 3 other batteries for the stereo system on position 2. I went out and bought an extra switch, but now it sounds like I only need one. Thanks again. Doogie
Scuba – I am counting the days til the 4th.

SCUBA STEVE
06-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Doogie, and everyone else. I forgot to say one of the reasons why I wired 2 batteries per channel on the perko was because a while ago Rivercrazy said that its better for the batteries that are wired in parallel to be the same age.
I previously had 2 batteries ran them for a season + and recently added 2 new batteries. #1 has the new batteries #2 has the older batteries.
So far 4-5 trips out with the battery additions and its working just great. If I had 4 brand spanking new batteries I would go the 1 battery for start up and the other 3 for the stereo route :cool:
Doogie, 2 weeks from now we should be waking up with some serious hang overs! :D :eek: :D