PDA

View Full Version : Reminder - think safety

Seadog
06-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Sad, I am glad I don't have to deal with this part of the lake operations
STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma Lake Patrol officers recovered the body of a Drummond man Thursday who had disappeared in Lake Carl Blackwell while trying pull a boat to shore.
The body of Lavern Lentz was found in an area near the Beaver Cove Campground at 2:51 p.m., Oklahoma State University officials said. The 3,500-acre lake is located on OSU property east of Stillwater.
Lentz, 38, had gone to the lake Tuesday to celebrate his 20th wedding anniversary with his wife, OSU spokesman Nestor Gonzales said.
The couple launched a boat from the lake's southern shore but couldn't get the engine to work. As the boat drifted, Lentz jumped into the 30-foot water and attempted to pull the boat toward the shore, officials said.
He disappeared into the water, came up once, went under again and never resurfaced.
Lentz wasn't wearing a safety jacket, but his wife was. The boat had other safety jackets and paddles. Game wardens helped Lentz's wife after the boat drifted to the lake's northern shore.

Kilrtoy
06-17-2004, 08:45 PM
WOW
that really sucks .....
:(

mtndewdrops
06-17-2004, 08:49 PM
It is not easy to swim and pull a boat at the same time...unless you are Jack LaLaine... I tried it and it was not pretty.
My condolences to the family.:(

RiverToysJas
06-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by mtndewdrops
It is not easy to swim and pull a boat at the same time...unless you are Jack LaLaine... I tried it and it was not pretty.
My condolences to the family.:(
I did it with my old Hawaiian one time, but I put a ski jacket on first. ;)
Sad story!
RTJas :(

JetBoatRich
06-18-2004, 04:45 AM
Sad story, :(
Even worst, plenty of jackets and paddles and he was trying to swim it to shore:confused: I guess he wanted to prove something to his wife of 20 years:yuk: