PDA

View Full Version : Are there too many STARBUCKS

Kilrtoy
06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
I have to say NO
They are on every corner , but damn they are always packed......

HCS
06-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Ya! and their razing their prices. $4.50 for a mocha!:eek:
Someone is cashing in.

LASERRAY
06-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Starbucks is just plain bad coffee.:yuk:
Trader Joe's Bay Blend whole bean. 1 1/2 pounds for $7.99 versus $5.00 for a Starbucks venti latte. What a rip! Starbucks is every bit as bad as Folgers. :yuk:
So my answer is yes. Way too many.
Corporate America at it's whorelike worst.:cool:

Kilrtoy
06-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Trader Joes is good....
BUT NO,
Im not a pot smoking liberal and i have never been inside of a Trader Joes

LASERRAY
06-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Trader Joes is good....
BUT NO,
Im not a pot smoking liberal LOL! That makes two of us.:cool:

Rexone
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Trader Joes is good....
BUT NO,
Me neither but TJ's rocks. good stuff bout 60% grocery store prices in lot of cases. Their stuff is good quality too not a bunch of cheap crap discount store crap.
yeah starbucks is way overated. IMO 7-11 and CirK has better coffee about a quarter the price. Unless you want all the foo foo shit that is. Me...foo foo.. :yuk:
having said that I think I need to own a couple starbucks at $4.50 a cup.... woo hooo.. :D

Kilrtoy
06-17-2004, 10:01 PM
I was in starbucks the other day,
$36 for a pound of coffee.
Yeah right. They said well its grown in a volcano, BIG F#$%N DEAL

LASERRAY
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I was in starbucks the other day,
$36 for a pound of coffee.
Yeah right. They said well its grown in a volcano, BIG F#$%N DEAL There's actually a coffee that comes-out of a cat's ass that cost about $300.00 a pound. No kidding.:rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
06-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Up here in teh Silicon Valley, they are everywhere:eek:

BarryMac
06-18-2004, 04:50 AM
In my little town of Escondido, pop. 130k, there are 10 and more on the way.
They have no Franchises, they are all owned by the corp, can you say rollin in the dough, I am typing this as I am sitting here drinking my Venti (foofoo word for Large) Vanilla Latte that I just thrugh $4.00 down for...
gjb

Garrddogg
06-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Starbucks is just plain bad coffee.:yuk:
Trader Joe's Bay Blend whole bean. 1 1/2 pounds for $7.99 versus $5.00 for a Starbucks venti latte. What a rip! Starbucks is every bit as bad as Folgers. :yuk:
So my answer is yes. Way too many.
Corporate America at it's whorelike worst.:cool:
Dude you got to be High! (forgot i was talkin to ray;) )
Starbucks is way better than Traders:D

ahhell
06-18-2004, 05:14 AM
There's actually a coffee that comes-out of a cat's ass that cost about $300.00 a pound. No kidding.:rolleyes:
Wonder if i can grind up my goat marbles to make some" exotic blend" .....i'd only charge $100.00/ pound:confused:

Garrddogg
06-18-2004, 05:16 AM
There's actually a coffee that comes-out of a cat's ass that cost about $300.00 a pound. No kidding.:rolleyes:
My question is who the hell figured that out?
I could understand the labrador weed,but the cat shit coffee,
I JUST DONT KNOW!
:D

Kachina26
06-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by ahhell
Wonder if i can grind up my goat marbles to make some" exotic blend" .....i'd only charge $100.00/ pound:confused:
Goat marbles! Now I have to clean the folgers off of my screen and out of my nose.
Pot smoking liberal? How about a nice pot smoking conservative, yeah they do exist.

Boatcop
06-18-2004, 05:25 AM
The Starbucks in Havasu should be open soon. It's in the strip mall by Crown Jewels and West Marine.
Circle K amy have cheap coffe, but nothing wakes you up like a triple shot of espresso in a tall coffee. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I've got my own espresso machine at home. I agree that $4.00 for a cup off cofee is ridiculous.
I keep telling people, if we could only get the tweakers to drink espresso, there wouldn't be a meth problem.:D :D

Kachina26
06-18-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
I've got my own espresso machine at home. I agree that $4.00 for a cup off cofee is ridiculous.
I keep telling people, if we could only get the tweakers to drink espresso, there wouldn't be a meth problem.:D :D
At those prices, they're still gonna have to rip off stereo's to get a fix :D

Sleek-Jet
06-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Anybody seen Shrek II??? There is a nice little referance to the # of Starbucks in there.
But you have to remember, Dr. Evil owns all of them anyway. :D

Garrddogg
06-18-2004, 06:02 AM
I keep telling people, if we could only get the tweakers to drink espresso, there wouldn't be a meth problem.:D :D [/B][/QUOTE]
That is TOO funny !:eek!:

ahhell
06-18-2004, 06:07 AM
I keep telling people, if we could only get the tweakers to drink espresso, there wouldn't be a meth problem.:D :D [/B]
That would ruin the high deserts economy;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Debbolas
06-18-2004, 06:21 AM
IMO
Starbucks is ok, I prefer our local Coffee Shop, Alta Loma Coffee and my favorite blend is Sumatra (yum)
My brother is certain that all Starbucks are E V I L (maybe he watched Austin Powers, too many times) and he WILL NOT buy coffee from them. (We delight in torturing him by buying him Starbuck, coffee cups, t-shirts, baby bibs...etc....)
:D :D :D
There are MANY Starbucks in our area and they are building more each day......

Scream
06-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
Me neither but TJ's rocks. good stuff bout 60% grocery store prices in lot of cases. Their stuff is good quality too not a bunch of cheap crap discount store crap.
Boy could I tell you a few stories...

BarryMac
06-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Forensic
Not to change the subject but where abouts in Escondido are you? I always wonder if of one these boaters in my neighborhood is on the boards.
Forensic
We live on the West end of town, Between the Old Home Depot on West Valley and Lake (Swamp) Hodges.
How about yourself?...
gjb

FRENCHIE
06-18-2004, 07:49 AM
must have caffeine!;)

FRENCHIE
06-18-2004, 07:58 AM
true i heard the same...and it is addicitng!:(

dicudmore
06-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
true i heard the same...and it is addicitng!:(
Caffeine? addicting?
maybe that has something to do with all the empty red bull cans on my desk here ;)

Dave C
06-18-2004, 08:06 AM
funny.
neither am I but they got some good stuff in there.
My advice. Just hold your breath, look straight ahead, don't listen to the other customers conversations and go for it!
besides there are some really hot young hippy chicks.
Trader Joes is good....
BUT NO,

Dave C
06-18-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't care who you are that right there is funny .....
Originally posted by Boatcop

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Deb, I tend to agree with your brother, only because they seem to enjoy running the little guy out. Being a small business owner, I do my part to avoid that company, even if I have to suffer a caffeine headache for it!
I've posted this before, on the last anti-starbux thread, but it's so damm funny, I feel compelled to post it again, for those who may have missed it.
ill will press--starbux (http://www.illwillpress.com/sml.html)
warning, video with some profanity

NoCal NoBoat
06-18-2004, 09:14 AM
small, medium, large. I refuse to speak "barrista"...
A medium is not "grande" !

Kilrtoy
06-18-2004, 09:22 AM
there are some really hot young hippy chicks.
I agree with that:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by NoCal NoBoat
small, medium, large. I refuse to speak "barrista"...
A medium is not "grande" !
My favorite line in the video is when he says, "Forgive my squirrelly ignorance, but isn't 'small' the opposite of 'tall'? LMAO

Dave C
06-18-2004, 09:44 AM
speaking of really hot young hippy chicks.
PETA had an event to raise money yesterday in Frisco. They got two young hot hippy chicks in bikinis to wrestle in wet Tofu on a street corner.:D
They were raising money for vegetarian causes.
I went and had a steak afterwards.;)
there are some really hot young hippy chicks.
I agree with that:D

Rexone
11-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Fock Starbucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRPVunUvMTg&eurl=) :D :D

BiggusJimbus
11-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I happen to work for Peet's Coffee and Tea.
Way better than Starbucks, and we use standard units of measurement... Small, medium and Large.
As for Caffiene content... You'll all be disappointed (or maybe not) to know that your Folgers has more caffiene than the good quality coffees out there.
The good coffees are made from Arabica Beans. Folgers and other dreck are made from Robusto beans. the Robusto Beans have more than half again as much caffiene, but far less flavor.
Don't tell Tracy I work for Peets. She'll never want to talk to me again. On the other hand, I suspect she skipped this thread entirely.
Jim.

GHT
11-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I have to say NO
They are on every corner , but damn they are always packed......
Only one in Havasu and I'll be there at 0700...tomorrow.. Then me and my son are going fishing.
there sould be at least two in Havasu....

BiggusJimbus
11-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh, and to the point of this thread...
There are about 12,000 Starbucks worldwide. They don't believe that they have near saturated the marketplace yet. They look to McDonalds (yeah, they suck too) with 30,000 outlets worldwide as a barometer for saturation.
So, expect to see more.
Have a nice day.

BadKachina
11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
There are two Starbucks within a mile of my house, three Walgreens within a mile of my house, and two Mc Donalds within a mile of my house. Doesn't it seem like corporate America is out of control? They are all busy though, all hours of the day. :rolleyes:

GHT
11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh, and to the point of this thread...
There are about 12,000 Starbucks worldwide. They don't believe that they have near saturated the marketplace yet. They look to McDonalds (yeah, they suck too) with 30,000 outlets worldwide as a barometer for saturation.
So, expect to see more.
Have a nice day.
Unfortunately you are right... Everyone hates the big boy on the block, BUT they do offer a good product at a reasonable price. Not to mention their timing on bringing their product to the market was PERFECT.....

Biglue
11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
yeah starbucks is way overated. IMO 7-11 and CirK has better coffee about a quarter the price. Unless you want all the foo foo shit that is. Me...foo foo.. :yuk:
having said that I think I need to own a couple starbucks at $4.50 a cup.... woo hooo.. :D
7-11 does have some pretty good coffee. Have you tried their muffins.....pretty damn good. :rollside:
Starbucks has too many stores IMO. A few years ago we didnt have a one here in Carson. Now there is 5 within a 2 mile radius. The geeks that hang out there take up all the god damned parking. :mad:

TCHB
11-21-2006, 07:26 PM
No love em! When I am traveling through airports it is always nice to find a good cup of coffee.

lawbreaker2
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
99cent at speedway, :D I spend to much as it is on monster. :rolleyes:

riverroyal
11-21-2006, 08:31 PM
not a big place, has 170 of them at last count

Kilrtoy
11-21-2006, 08:32 PM
DAMN REXONE must have had too much Starbucks too find this one

cola
11-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Only one in Havasu and I'll be there at 0700...tomorrow.. Then me and my son are going fishing.
there sould be at least two in Havasu....
There are two in Havasu. Safeway & the one by West Marine.
Late, Mike

Flyinbowtie
11-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Starbucks coffee tastes just like the stuff in bottom half of the pot that has been simmering for 5 or 6 hours, on the burner of a coffee machine that hasn't been cleaned in at least 3 or 4 years, in squad rooms all across America.
I have simply never seen what the big deal is. My wife and eldest son have been trying for a long time to get me in to designer coffee, but I jsut can't get there. Fresh beans, ground on the kitchen counter and dumped into the machine right away? Yep, tastes good. Worth buying and grinding.
Starbucks?
Nope.

ratso
11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't drink coffee...

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Lets see what Foamy thinks
Coffee house poraganda (http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.php?id=189419&name=189419_propg.swf&title=Coffee%20HOuse%20Propaganda&date=1164085200&quality=b&uj=0&w=550&h=400)
Small, medium, large (http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.php?id=145365&name=145365_041SmallMediumLarge.swf&title=Small%2C%20Medium%2C%20Large&date=1164085200&quality=b&uj=0&w=550&h=400)

OCMerrill
11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
The Starbucks in Havasu should be open soon. It's in the strip mall by Crown Jewels and West Marine.
Circle K amy have cheap coffe, but nothing wakes you up like a triple shot of espresso in a tall coffee. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I don't know for sure how much meth or speed costs but it might be allot cheaper than a Venti Triple Shot Late at about $5.50 at Starphucks. If I venture in I only get a House Drip with no room for cream. Still $1.80 which is about .40 higher than the Mobil gas station and tastes way better.
Some times there are so many peeps in a bucks I just drive on. Not worth the wait.

GHT
11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
There are two in Havasu. Safeway & the one by West Marine.
Late, Mike
Oh, yea.... You would be talking about the one IN Safeway?? Right?

SHOTKALLIN
11-21-2006, 09:37 PM
starbucks is gonna hurt themselves. there are too many in my town and they are opening more. they just opened one that is too close to another but it is brand new and doesn't have business yet. there are plans for another that is also too close to an existing one. there are two at UCR that are a block apart and do extremely well due to the students. I think this one is the exception.

4DAY4PLAY
11-21-2006, 10:42 PM
starbucks is gonna hurt themselves. there are too many in my town and they are opening more. they just opened one that is too close to another but it is brand new and doesn't have business yet. there are plans for another that is also too close to an existing one. there are two at UCR that are a block apart and do extremely well due to the students. I think this one is the exception.
Since they are coorperate. it really doesnt matter, busy locations will make tons of money, enough to carry less performing locations. The whole idea of opening multiple stores in the same area is to have a monopoly, and not allow other competitors such as coffee bean to move into the area in vacant or new buildings. Were i work, there are 2 home depots within 3 miles of eacother. One has been there forever, the other was built when a K mart went out of business, and Lowes threatened to buy the building and open a store, thus taking $$$ from the closest home depot. HD just outbid lowes on the property and opened another store, which is very slow, but still better than giving the business to lowes.

SHOTKALLIN
11-21-2006, 11:14 PM
oh I get it. it makes corporate sense. I like Its a grind better than starbucks anyway.

RitcheyRch
11-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Definitely too many. I have seen a few places where there were more than one Starbucks within the same strip mall. One in the strip mall and one in the Ralphs grocery store right next door.

lawbreaker2
11-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Does this mean I can't hang with the cool people, :D So do these people put there coffee latas and cream puffer on credit cards. :notam: $5 bucks for a coffee is just insane.

lawbreaker2
11-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Oh I want to see pic's, I love pic's. :rollside:

SCUBA STEVE
11-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Definitely too many. I have seen a few places where there were more than one Starbucks within the same stip mall. One in the stip mall and one in the Ralphs grocery store right next door.
They just did that in my area as well. (safeway) But the new one is going to have a drive thru. I am glad I never picked up smoking or drinking coffee, more $ for booze and $3.00/gallon gas. lol

Debbolas
11-22-2006, 08:20 AM
I have a favorite Starbucks that makes my Chai Tea Frapaccino, just the way I like it! Extra Spicy :D

beaverretriever
11-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Is it a DCB cat? Because if it is, I can see why its so expensive. ;)

a catered life
11-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Up here in teh Silicon Valley, they are everywhere:eek:
where? you live in av..stop trying to sneak into a raider game

a catered life
11-22-2006, 08:44 AM
I am glad I never picked up smoking or drinking coffee, more $ for booze and $3.00/gallon gas. lol
that there is the statement of the day

Miss Jackie
11-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Starbucks are usually packed and I hate waiting 25 minutes for my Grande 2% iced caramel macchiato w/ an extra shot...sheesh!

Kilrtoy
01-14-2007, 02:16 AM
damn this thread has been going for almost three years now

GHT
01-14-2007, 02:30 AM
damn this thread has been going for almost three years now
Wow, I was thinking the same thing... This thread is ALMOST as good as "Three Word Post" and "What song are you listening too now"....
Longevity.......:)

Trailer Park Casanova
01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
Playboy needs to do a 'Girls of Starbux" photo shoot.
Hell, didn't they do 'Girls of Wall Mart"?
We have a Starbux on every main drag in Simi, and currently the girls are Costco level girls in the looks dept.

shueman
01-14-2007, 07:21 AM
We like their coffee at home...get it through Food Service...Starbucks machine right in the office...:) Was in Times Square NY last year, they ARE on every corner....:D

Troy McClure
01-14-2007, 08:47 AM
I liked Dietrich's (sp?) over Starbucks, better coffee and usually not as crowded. BUT, guess who bought up all of the Dietrich's. Guess I'll have to try that 7-11 stuff?:(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-14-2007, 09:19 AM
The horror! Jeff has succumbed to the Starschmucks addiction! I however have remained strong and I'm still hoping for another coffee house to open close by. Until then, I'll just keep drinking my pot a day from home :D

Debbolas
01-14-2007, 09:24 AM
French Press coffee is our new favorite (at home) My kid are way more addicted to Starbucks than we are....I prefer the local coffee shops if I can find them. Alta Loma Coffee is good and they have free internet:D

JetBoatRich
01-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, I was thinking the same thing... This thread is ALMOST as good as "Three Word Post" and "What song are you listening too now"....
Longevity.......:)
and "who's still up" thread

Froggystyle
01-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I am caffeinne fueled. I try to deny it, but it is apparent to a casual observer.
I also dig Starbucks. I have a certain sense of welcome when I go there and they know what I want... and I frequent four in little old El Cajon. I choose the direction I take to work to pass by the traditionally least busy of the locations, but have been swerving to hit the drive through more lately.
My favorite coffee is a local company called Cafe Moto. I like their coffee best, and they have a "Mexican Mocha" that I drive across town for, but that is just it... I have to drive across town for it. The closest one is in La Mesa at "Cosmo's" coffee shop, where I go once a weekend for a breakfast bagel and mexican mocha.
I probably spend on average $30/week at Starbucks. I buy a lot for my business partner and Audrey, but I hit it at least once a day... and the first move before a late night is a mocha at 6pm or so.
They are consistent, have good service and are convenient. Tough to argue with.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Admit it, Wes. You are a junkie.

ratso
01-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I've never been to a Starbucks... guess I'll put that on my "to do" list for next week.

IN2-IN2MX
01-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I treat myself to Starbucks about 2-3 times a month. It's just too fattening to do everyday. When I do go I HAVE to order the Caramel Frap cause it's soooooo damn good (even if it's freezing outside). :)
There's a new little joint by my place called It's a Grind. Damn, their stuff is strong! Kevin bought my a macchiato (ms?) yesterday and I literally got buzzed off it. We were at the Tattoo Expo in Pomona and I was hunting for a bathroom soon afterwards (too much info probably :D ).

Froggystyle
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Admit it, Wes. You are a junkie.
No question.