PDA

View Full Version : NADA guides

lovemyultra
06-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Are these guides accurate? I am CONSIDERING selling my boat it is a 21 ULTRA LX open bow,115 hours 2001 454, Bravo 1, EMI headers , remote oil filter ,all the other stock stuff and has been stored indoors all the time except when on the water.Now for the things wrong it has two knicks in the interior and a couple scratches in the gel I may even have these fixed if it would do some good on the possible sale . Now the NADA guide says low retail is 28,045 and the average retail is 33,580 does this sound right to you guys or what ? honesty is what I need here since I may not even sell this boat as it is my baby
THANKS DJ

Desert Rat
06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
I find that their prices usually run on the low side, for the west coast anyway. Just my .02

revndave
06-18-2004, 12:48 PM
SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT.THE FIRST YEAR A BOAT LOOSES 15% AND 1% A YEAR AFTER THAT.I JUST SOLD A 1995 250 ELIMINATOR EAGLE 502 MAG. GREAT CONDITION.I GOT 32,000.ITS 60,000 NEW IN 1995.DID YOU SEE HOW WELL SCHIADA'S HOLD UP.15 YEAR OLD RIVER CRUISER IS WORTH MID 40s.I WONT BY ANOTHER NEW BOAT.

BarryMac
06-18-2004, 01:18 PM
I have to say that I don't find them to be accurate, my first not so hot boat according to NADA was worth about $3,800.00, I placed a For Sale add and got almost twice that for it?...
gjb

dmontzsta
06-18-2004, 01:19 PM
good

plaster dave
06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
if you need someone to fix the gelcoat & the interior i know a great shop @ 661-295-5245 ask for victor or roberto there off the 5 @ lake huges road. good luck o the sale if you do.

Scream
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Nada should be used as a guideline only. Shop for your boat online or in print ads, this will give you a reasonble market value. Remember that you're in prime season and boats are higher now than in the fall/winter, so now may be the "sellers" market.
Scream

manuel
06-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I find NADA handy when checking production years and when buying you can print out the results of a car/boat/bike and show it to the seller to burst his bubble, but for realistic value it's a total joke, Harley's that sell all day long for $15K will come in at $5K, I checked on a Cigarette Cafe Racer and it came back at $35,900. even though the selling price was $79K(it sold for that) when I spoke to the finance co. they said they loan 2 & 1/2 times NADA because of the lowballing they do on boats, on something like a Toyota Camry or a Ford Taurus they are pretty acurate but on boats and bikes their values do not reflect the actual market prices that items are bringing, this is just my opinion,

welk2party
06-18-2004, 03:00 PM
NADA USEFUL AT ALL is what it should be called.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by revndave
DID YOU SEE HOW WELL SCHIADA'S HOLD UP.15 YEAR OLD RIVER CRUISER IS WORTH MID 40s
LMAO! That is funny David!! You should get one of them that Shiadas!

Keith E. Sayre
06-18-2004, 04:33 PM
The boat version of the NADA guidebook doesn't use any
current market values when figuring their numbers. They
contact the manufacturers about the cost of their new boats
and then they depreciate them. Unfortunately, they use
the same percentages of depreciation for all boats. In other
words, its not even an educated guess. Unfortunately the
banks use them when funding loans so alot of good boats
are hard to sell. For example, we had a 1995 Conquest
Deckboat for $55,000 recently that was mint. We had people
try to buy it every week. They would get to the bank and
open the NADA book and it booked for about $28,000. The
bank would want to finance maybe 120% of $28,000 which i s $33,600 so the buyer would have to come up with $21,400 in cash for a down payment to do the deal. The NADA book really hurts those selling boats with great resale value and really helps those production boats that have little resale value.
****If you want to sell a boat and are hoping to establish
current market values--go dig up some 4 to 6 month old boat trader magazines and call people with similar boats. chances are they have sold the boat and will be happy to tell you what they got for it, asking prices don't mean a thing. if they still own it, it's a good possibility that they are asking too much for it.
Keith Sayre

TRIMM MANN
06-18-2004, 04:36 PM
YOU DIDN'T SAY WHAT YEAR THE BOAT IS?

Jordy
06-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
You should get one of them that Shiadas!
When I got my 21' Schiada River Cruiser it was worth nada according to Nada. Shows what they know... :p

mtndewdrops
06-18-2004, 06:26 PM
I think it is always best to survey the market for the boat you are interested in buying/selling BEFORE advertising or determining a Sales Price. There are seasonal fluctuations and also supply and demand reactions. Just because NADA is suggesting a price doesn't mean you can't sell it for more.
Also a marine appraisal is a good thing for someone financing a boat. It gives the banks more peace of mind.
Anyway, just my .02:)

Dr. Eagle
06-18-2004, 09:10 PM
I have found NADA to be a fairly good barometer for the price of a boat. But you have to remember that some people take better care of their boats than others. Pictures and nada can lead you off the mark if a boat has either been trashed (not cared for) or fully restored.
I have my own horror stories from shopping in the last year.

sandblasted
06-18-2004, 09:59 PM
if it's your baby what do you want to sell it for?
I probably know the answer, are looking to move up to a larger boat? If not keep the Ultra...

lovemyultra
06-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I probably will keep it but just testing the waters By the way greg was that you on Ave L this morning heading west ?

Kilrtoy
06-19-2004, 11:30 AM
When I got my 21' Schiada River Cruiser it was worth nada according to Nada. Shows what they know
Jordy you forgot to check the box with thru transom, That would have made it PRICELESS:D

Dr. Eagle
06-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Jordy you forgot to check the box with thru transom, That would have made it PRICELESS:D
Not to mention 5 mph faster........;)