PDA

View Full Version : Locating the boat at the bottom of the lake????

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
I`m having a hell of a time trying to find that damn boat. Just learned that "fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water" Being that fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water, The Sonar is not going to pick up a fiberglass boat at the bottom of a lake... So how do you locate a boat after it`s sank?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
My first question is how deep is the water ???
Second is there any current ???
Third is do you have tanks ???
Sonar sould work I have used it many years ago to find a boat in the Sac. River.
Jim

manuel
06-18-2004, 02:57 PM
The high/end fish finders that the bass guys use can tell the difference between mud, rock, sand, stumps and side scan will show a 3D image of the bottom in colors depending on the composition of the bottom, my boat had one when I bought it but I sold it 'cause I don't care much about fishing but it was interesting to see what the bottom looked like, borrow a bass boat, good luck,

LVjetboy
06-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hear...what happened? Where's the thread?
jer

riverbound
06-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Spill it...what happened?

AZKC
06-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Sounds like time to go diving. If they can find drowning victims they can find a boat.

hboldno7
06-18-2004, 05:11 PM
I think acceptance over in the v-drive forum recovers sunken Boats by trade. look him up, im sure he will offer some pointers

hboldno7
06-18-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.metropolitanmarine.com/
go here ^^

Cs19
06-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Hydro, what the hell happened?
Not sure if this is gonna help, but heres what Ive seen done.
I used to be an ocean lifeguard at one of the busiest beaches around, and occasionally a body would go down and not come up.Once they had been down for too long (like an hour or so) we would call the sherriff dept. and they would come out and "comb" the bottom, as we were not trained to do this.
They would show up with 2 divers (full scuba gear and very heavy weight belts) 2 jetskiis,2 opeators and lots of rope..
The 2 divers would get towed behind the skiis at a very slow speed (idle) and the jet skiis would stay about 25' apart at all times, the divers were basically getting dragged across the bottom or maybe walking along the bottom,at the same time the divers were spread apart about 25' and they had a rope in between them which was pullled tight. If the rope was to snag on something, they would go check it out to see what it was.Anyways you get the idea, it worked for them everytime. It wasn't always a pretty sight, but in your case it would be a pretty sight to find the hydro.
If the water is not that deep, get some divers out there, and go buy a real high dollar fish/depth finder, its your only hope.

LUVNLIFE
06-18-2004, 07:02 PM
I think the big question here is how deep? I know my local lake here goes to almost 300'.

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Going back out tomorrow to run some grids.
We have found a few spots that are 78ft deep

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 10:19 PM
OH yea, It`s not the Hydro... It`s just an 18ft jet boat.

DansBlown73Nordic
06-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Oh HELL if its just a Jet Boat just leave it down there.....;)

Backtanner
06-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Where?

Wet Dream
06-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
**** off

Backtanner
06-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Going back out tomorrow to run some grids.
We have found a few spots that are 78ft deep
Unless you are a trained diver leave it to someone who is. Most dives under 60ft are considered advanced and from what I've heard getting the bends isn't a lot of fun. See if there are any local dive shops that might do classes there that might dive the areas you have in mind.

MudPumper
06-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Jet Hydro, I'm a Master Diver with experience in Search and Salvage. Call me if you need any technical assistance. If you arent a diver trained in slavage don't attempt to bring that thing up, somebody will get hurt!!! ;) :)
Mike
(661)755-0674

WriedtStuff
06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
I have to agree with Mud....I too have been a rescue diver for almost 20 years...it is very dangerous and you can get hurt or killed if you do not have the training.....expecially if it is in 80 feet of water.

ShowDown
06-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Jet Hydro- Check your PMs

HammerDown
06-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
No comment.:rolleyes:

Kachina26
06-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Ahhell has a boat locater built in, just look for the rainbow:)

Jet Hydro
06-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Just got home....No Luck
We now have a Pro Diver on the site that is trained in salvage, he say`s " I`ll have your boat real soon" .. We`ll see ?????
Storms have kept the search down to a crawl... errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MudPumper
06-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Good to know, what were the circumstances behind the sinking????

Danhercules
06-21-2004, 08:13 AM
When my boat went down, I tied a rope with a bouy on it, I was afraid the nose was gonna go down. I know the lake where I sunk is very shallow, but, ya still cannot see the bottom.
Good luck gettin her up. That sucks. I know the feeling.

Jet Hydro
06-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Good to know, what were the circumstances behind the sinking????
We don't have a clue. The bottom might have broken open or the hand hole cover may have broken? Wont know until we get it back to dry land if we ever find it???????
It just had the WJ to AT Conversion done so it could be a number of things. I never got a chance to look it over real good before they went out so I have no clue as of why yet.
I`m thinking about putting the Sonar & GPS on my Jet Ski and using it because the SJ is using so much fuel we could almost buy another boat.

cave
06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Jet Hydro
Dont let your friend make the same mistake I did. I payed the Salvage guy up front (He has recovered a bunch of boats here sept mine) and on the second day he gave up. 3000 bucks down the drain. He wanted another 2800 for expences. I told him to go F**K himself And leave my current location My glock was in my truck and I was PISSED :mad: :mad:
I know carry my GPS. Not really for speed . Just in case I get swampped by another oversized ship I have the GPS location.
Good luck!!!

MudPumper
06-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Heres a trick if you ever lose anything in the water and need to mark the location. I don't know that anybody would remember to do this with all the emotion and what not of just survivng sinking the boat but if you can keep your whits about you do the following. Its called Dead Recconing(sp). All you need is two locations and 4 objects to get a visual mark on any location. For example, say you are floating where your boat just sank. Look off to the shore and find two prominant land marks that line up with eachother. Lets just say a large tree on a hill and a house on the beach. They must be inline with eachother. Then scan about 90degrees right or left to find two more landmarks. How about a dock and a flagpole. You get the idea Remember those land marks. All you have to do to find the spot again is go back and line up the 4 land marks and that is the location or damn close to what you lost.

Danhercules
06-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Any luck gettin it?

Jet Hydro
06-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Nothing yet :(
The storm`s have kept us on land most of the time. We went out last night for about 2 hours and ran a few more grids before the rain set back in.
We`v got to be getting close?????

slotracer
06-28-2004, 04:11 PM
have you found the boat yet?
pat(slotracer):D

Jet Hydro
06-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Not yet... went out MXracing over the weekend so we didnt even look this last weekend. We were going to go out tonight but it looked like rain again. Still looking and running grids