PDA

View Full Version : sunk Boat ....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I`m having a hell of a time trying to find that damn boat. Just learned that "fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water" Being that fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water, The Sonar is not going to pick up a fiberglass boat at the bottom of a lake... So how do you locate a boat after it`s sank?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kim Hanson
06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
I`m having a hell of a time trying to find that damn boat. Just learned that "fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water" Being that fiberglass has similar sonar characteristics as water, The Sonar is not going to pick up a fiberglass boat at the bottom of a lake... So how do you locate a boat after it`s sank?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
With a big pole or snorkel gear........( . )( . )............:eek:

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks Kim, at this point I`ll try just about anything! It sank Saturday and we`v had no luck as of yet....errrrrrrrrrrr

Kim Hanson
06-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks Kim, at this point I`ll try just about anything! It sank Saturday and we`v had no luck as of yet....errrrrrrrrrrr
You sank your Hydro :eek: that sucks........( . )( . )......:frown:

summerlove
06-18-2004, 03:04 PM
what about a dive/salvage company? Many times, rescue divers will work for something like this on the side. good luck

lucky
06-18-2004, 03:13 PM
boat is more important ...

lucky
06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
smart ass comment - not intended to be tak'n seriously by any one - including the fbi and cia - IT IS A JOKE __ AHHH DO YOU GET IT SON A JOKE _ :rolleyes: :eek: :)

Some Kind Of Monster
06-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Dive down there and look for it? How deep is the area it sunk in?

396_Z
06-18-2004, 05:05 PM
I'd PM Acceptance and see if he can help you out. From everything I've heard Greg's the man to call when end up swimming back. Maybe he knows a few tricks.

CrazyHippy
06-18-2004, 06:25 PM
The motor should show up on Sonar???
Dont forget to account for drift from the current if any, and dont expect a boat to sink verytically, it will not go straight down, but at roughly a 45* angle...
Good luck, sorry you're having to deal w/ this
BJH

vdrivenman
06-18-2004, 07:34 PM
hydro,
we have a lot of success using the dive teams from various vol. fire departments. most of them are very knowledgeable and well equipped and love to have a reason to dive. we then make a donation to the dept once it is found.
we use large magnets and do a grid search pattern. no oil slick or sheen on the water. do u have an reasonable idea as to where it is located ??

DaveA
06-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey Jet,
Did it go down in Cheney? Or on Afton? Hope it wasn't Eldorado...
Man that bites.
Rescue squad types love this sort of challenge. Have you called the Yacht Club guys on Cheney for a recommendation? Maybe they know somebody.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I have friends that dive for fun. If you paid to have their equipment filled I know they would dive down there looking. Unfortunately they don't live anywhere near you, but perhaps you can find a diving forum in your area?

Jet Hydro
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DaveA
Hey Jet,
Did it go down in Cheney? Or on Afton? Hope it wasn't Eldorado...
Man that bites.
Rescue squad types love this sort of challenge. Have you called the Yacht Club guys on Cheney for a recommendation? Maybe they know somebody. It went down in Cheney.Going back out tomorrow to run some grids all weekend. I just cant believe that we cant find the &*^% Boat...errrrr :mad:
The only divers we found, will help once we find the boat for $300 an hour
:eek:

DansBlown73Nordic
06-19-2004, 12:47 AM
How deep of water is it in?

Thunderbutt
06-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Jet, When you get it back blow up some truck tubes in the bowl, next time it will float, bowl up.

bighead
06-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I've seen coast gaurd us bottom chart plotters to find a boat. Also divers pulling a chain or small cable around 20 ft in a grid, eventually snagging. Good luck

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-19-2004, 11:29 PM
that sucks.. I hope you find her:( ;)

BLOWNDEAVER
06-20-2004, 08:06 AM
HEY JET, WE HAVE A FEW DIVERS DOWN HERE, THEY USE 2 BARRELS AND TWO RACHET STRAPS, GO UNDER BOAT IN CARRIAGE DESIGN, AND USE BREAK AWAY AIR SUPPLY,AND FILL BARRELS THEY WILL FLOAT BOAT, IF YOU NEED THEIR NUMBER LET ME KNOW. DEWAYNE UP YOUR WAY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU

Moneypitt
06-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Have you tried a good quality fish finder. My son says his will show stumps and rocks and such, so a good one should show a rough image of a boat on the bottom......Just an idea.........MP

INEEDAV
06-20-2004, 06:42 PM
I wish I would have known about this Jet Hydro. I was diving at Lovewell over the weekend. I would have loved to help.
Have you had any luck yet.

Jet Hydro
06-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Just got home....No Luck
We now have a Pro Diver on the site that is trained in salvage, he say`s " I`ll have your boat real soon" .. We`ll see ?????
Storms have kept the search down to a crawl... errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

INEEDAV
06-21-2004, 04:31 AM
JH
I know what you are talking about with the storms, it was bad at Lovewell too, all the fresh rain had the water pretty muddy as well. I hope all works out for you with the boat.
Billy

ACCEPTENCE
06-22-2004, 08:30 AM
What kind of sonar are you using???
A human body has the same characteristics as a slity bottom, that's to say both return soft signals but a fiberglass boat is a good hard target and should be easy to find.
Are you using a fish finder, echo sounder???
A Side Scan Sonar system will find that boat in a short matter of time.
Bummer your not out in this neck of the woods, I'd help ya out.

78Eliminator
09-20-2004, 06:38 AM
I am reading through some old threads this morning. Did you ever recover the boat?

ACCEPTENCE
09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Since this thread was posted we have added to our arsenal a deep water video system, towable or drop in and capable of securing a hook onto the vessel when located, complete with deep water lighting and nite capabilities.
Side Scan Sonar will work the best for locating it.
Then the video and hook system if the water is to deep to dive.
The rest is a cake walk using lift bags @ 50' intervals.
Wha-La your boats on the trailer!!!
So...how deep is it???
...and the million dollar question; how bad do you want your boat back???

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Since this thread was posted we have added to our arsenal a deep water video system...
Think of the shot with that camera strapped to your strut, while you jumped a canoe full of boyscouts. :idea: :cool:

ACCEPTENCE
09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Think of the shot with that camera strapped to your strut, while you jumped a canoe full of boyscouts. :idea: :cool:
Funny you say that, The motor is leaving for the engine builders place in a day or two and work will be starting on the stringers and floors very soon.
It's been a busy summer and I for one am glad it's drawing to a close. I can get back to goofin with my stuff again.
I'll get you some new vinyl lickity split too.
Hummmm...I could make that jump!!!

Her454
09-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I am reading through some old threads this morning. Did you ever recover the boat?
Damn I thought he sank the thing again! :supp:

Jet Hydro
11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Just an up-Date for those that have PMed me on this boat.
We got a call today that (it) might have been found. We will go out Saturday and see if we have a boat. They said they found a 19 foot tall tree where one shouldn't be. Just might be that damn boat. I will make a few passes over the area and get some pictures of what show`s up on the sonar just in case it`s the boat. That way we will all know what we are looking for next time. :squiggle:

Carnivalride
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Jet Hydro,
You mean the boats still down after 4 months??? Where did you lose it at around Cheney? It almost has to be along the dam some where or is the water there deeper than I remember? Sorry about the bad luck, weren't Stucky or any of the other regulars able to help you find it?
Hope you get it soon.
Loren

ECeptor
11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Cheney is very shallow. I believe the deepest part is less than 30' deep. Most of the coves are only 10-15' at the deepest. I've skied many times in water I could stand up in.
I also pulled a swamped boat to shore there this summer. It was a small outboard fishing boat that was way over loaded. The cove was so shallow the tip of the nose pointed straight up above the water about a foot. I tied mmy 24' Chaparral Villain on to it and idled it up to shallower water. Then about 12 of us guys pulled it on to the trailer which had been backed in the water.
Cheney is dirty, dirty, dirty...so that's what keeping him from finding his boat. Visibility is about 6" (really!).

Jet Hydro
11-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Mark and Stucky went out Saturday and just happen to stumble a crossed it. It was luck Mark said. We have ran grid after grid with no luck. It would have helped if they would have had a better Idea of where they were when it went down. It`s somewhere along the Dam. The water range is anywhere from 29ft to 42ft in that area. Where they think they found it should only be about 32ft. I cant wait till Saturday, it`s been a long 4 months and now it`s a personal thing...lol

19cobaltcd
11-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Cheney can be 50 to 60 feet deep if you get right out over the channel. Hopefully it's not there or drifting that way. But your right, everywhere else on the lake is pretty shallow. In the last 20 years I've run aground in some of the damndist places. Good luck in your search.

Jet Hydro
11-02-2004, 10:06 AM
I also pulled a swamped boat to shore there this summer.
Was it white with a custom paint job? I sold my little O/B and herd they sunk it too. Had a big Black Max motor.
Did you see the Orange Flat bottom that busted out the side in July? We had a hell of a time loading that thing. I`ll see if I can find one of the pictures.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213P1020446-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213P1020455-med.JPG

Carnivalride
11-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Was it white with a custom paint job? I sold my little O/B and herd they sunk it too. Had a big Black Max motor.
Did you see the Orange Flat bottom that busted out the side in July? We had a hell of a time loading that thing. I`ll see if I can find one of the pictures.
Sounds like it's getting dangerous out there with all the sunk and busted boats. :supp: :supp: :supp: LOL.
Hey seriously good luck on retrieving your boat saturday and tell Mike Hi for me.
Loren

Jet Hydro
11-02-2004, 10:32 AM
will do and yes it`s been a bad year for boating in our mud hole :jawdrop:

ECeptor
11-02-2004, 11:09 AM
No, it was a crappy little fishing boat with a tiny outboard. Sunk in the cove by Hobie Beach.
Same day I towed a boat that quit running back to the dock. One of those days, I suppose.

Jetdriver
11-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Did you find it?????