PDA

View Full Version : Bad Accident on Rice Road!!

ColeTR1
06-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Thursday Night about 10 pm went bye a truck and car looked like a head on. Both cars where totaly burnt up. It was one mile east of the Iron Mountain turn out. One of the worst ones I have seen.:eek: Does anyone have any details. (boatcop?)

FRENCHIE
06-20-2004, 11:15 AM
not again!!:rolleyes: :frown:

dmontzsta
06-20-2004, 12:58 PM
That sucks.

OGShocker
06-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Heard about it on Friday. I think seven people were killed.:(

Havasu Doug
06-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Here was some info posted on another board:
Five die in fiery collision
01:28 AM PDT on Friday, June 18, 2004
The Press-Enterprise
Five people, their bodies burned beyond recognition, died Thursday afternoon in a head-on collision on a highway in a remote desert area of San Bernardino County, coroner's officials said.
A 1991 Lincoln Towncar, registered in Phoenix, was westbound on Highway 62 east of Rice at 2:40 p.m. when it passed a tractor-trailer rig and collided head-on with an eastbound Ford Bronco, coroner's officials said.
The ensuing fire melted the license plate of the Bronco.
Officials said four people were in the Lincoln and one was in the Bronco, and that their ages and genders could not be determined. Dental records will be used to identify them and autopsies will be performed, officials said.

raff
06-20-2004, 04:45 PM
This is the reason we don't use Rice road any more..
We will take the longer way and travel thru Erinburgh.
Mark out

Kilrtoy
06-20-2004, 04:46 PM
That is some scary shit.
That can happen to any of us.
I read a big article in the daily news ....

mtndewdrops
06-20-2004, 05:45 PM
That is terrible news. That road is definately risky. I have had a close call once myself. Some peeps push the limit.

SoCal_fun
06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by raff
This is the reason we don't use Rice road any more..
We will take the longer way and travel thru Erinburgh.
Mark out
I agree :(

JetBoatRich
06-20-2004, 08:27 PM
pretty dam sad, to loose that many people:mad:
Rice road must be real bad:yuk:

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
pretty dam sad, to loose that many people:mad:
Rice road must be real bad:yuk:
I'll definitely go another route when I take the boat out there...:(

repo man
06-20-2004, 09:27 PM
i live off cajalco in south corona i almost get it every time i drive. isee these people pass on blind curves over double yellows all the time. it makes you wonder what's so important that they need to risk their lives and yours to get there one car ahead. pointless!!!

MudPumper
06-21-2004, 06:36 AM
It always kills me to see these people in such a hurry passing cars and risking peoples lives. They fly by me towing my boat and then 20 miles down the road I pull up right behind them at a stop sign. Why dont people understand that the 5 or less minutes you will save from speeding and passing dangerously isn't worth it. Relax, slow down and enjoy the drive. Where ever you are going it will still be there regardless of how quick you make it,;) I saw two people from the boards following eachother on Rice coming back on Memorial. I wont say who it was but they are married and were driving seperate cars, cutting in and out of traffic driving pretty fast. I bet they never thought twice about if they were going to make it home to see their children again. It worried me to see them driving like this.

Essex502
06-21-2004, 06:47 AM
It might sound callous but I'm not sad for driver in the Lincoln that died, but I am sad for his/her three passengers and the other driver of the Bronco that died. These stupid focks cross the lines all the time. I have had several close calls recently on Hwy 138 from Palmdale to Victorville with these a$$holes who cross the double-double yellow line. There is NOTHING so important that you risk the lives of those riding with you to do something so stupid.
Fortunately, Darwin was right. Unfortunately the jerk usually takes others with him/her.

Huckleberry
06-21-2004, 07:10 AM
That is one f&^ked up road. I avoid it at all costs.

mbrown2
06-21-2004, 07:44 AM
My sister in law was headed down Rice that evening a couple of hours after the crash doing 80, not towing....got pulled over and the cop said normally I would let you go with a warning, but we just had a big collision with fatalities and gave her the ticket....she saw the scene of the wreckage a couple of miles up.....really sucks....but you have to be a complete idiot to not completely know it is clear before you get out there to pass....you better know every dip, every curve and all places where double yellows indicate blind spots before you pull out to pass....terrible accident.:(

HavasuDreamin'
06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
How much time does Rice Road actually save vs. going through Erinburgh? What is it..........10 miles? Put the tunes on, cruise at a decent pace, and take the safe route people!

dimarcobros
06-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I am not going to lie, I have been known to use a lot of gas on Rice Road from time to time. However, I never pass on a curve or when the solid "no passing" yellow line is in affect. They have those lines for a reason and this accident proves it. If you can't see what is ahead of you then why would you pass? Dumba**!!!!
DMB

TCHB
06-21-2004, 07:09 PM
I have traveled Rice road for many years (20) and have seen my share of accident because stupid people passing in blind areas. The cross the double lines and just keep going. It seems to be getting worse every year. Last time I had a jacked up Ford truck pass me going at least 90MPH crossing the double lines. I am sure he does this all the time until he gets bit.

ColeTR1
06-21-2004, 09:04 PM
I looked at where the accident was on the way home, right on top of a little hill. Solid line on both sides. No skid marks pore person in the Bronco probably did even see it coming. I have been driving rice road 25 years and know every bump in it. ItÂ’s only the people that break the law that make the road dangerous. The time difference between going 70 verses 85 on rice road will only get you to Parker 12 minutes faster. Definitely not worth dieing for!!

JESSE
06-21-2004, 11:02 PM
the last time i was on rice road some guy with 2 sea doos passed me he had to be going 85 mph trailer all over the road about 5 miles up the road flat tire on his seadoo trailer so after all that passing and going way to fast. he would made it faster if he would have took it easy,and not f__ed up his tires
also how do you go to parker the other way?rice road is the only way i know and if thier is a easyer way i would love to try it

Bre
06-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
It always kills me to see these people in such a hurry passing cars and risking peoples lives. They fly by me towing my boat and then 20 miles down the road I pull up right behind them at a stop sign. Why dont people understand that the 5 or less minutes you will save from speeding and passing dangerously isn't worth it. Relax, slow down and enjoy the drive. Where ever you are going it will still be there regardless of how quick you make it,;) I saw two people from the boards following eachother on Rice coming back on Memorial. I wont say who it was but they are married and were driving seperate cars, cutting in and out of traffic driving pretty fast. I bet they never thought twice about if they were going to make it home to see their children again. It worried me to see them driving like this.
That married couple was us. Our kids were with Andy in the Excursion.

Bre
06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
And we only pass when we can see ahead of us a long way. Sorry you thought we were going too fast.

boxscore
06-21-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm done with Rice Rd. I'll be going thru Blythe and Indian land to Parker from now on. For every 10 cars on a Friday or Sunday on Rice Rd. ... there's easily 1 bonifide idiot. I'll really miss the burned up shoe tree and lingirie tree........NOT

Bre
06-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Oh and it wasn't Mem weekend cause we were not out there then.

RacerX
06-22-2004, 07:29 AM
The only time I've taken Rice Rd is when we went out at 2 am. It's a virtual ghost town and you can see headlights coming from what seems like miles out.
The best part is there is no need to pass because we didn't see a single vehicle heading to Havasu and only about 3 or 4 coming the other way the entire time.
The one negative would be that if you had acr trouble or needed some kind of help, you'd be up ______ creek....luckily we have the required paddle in the boat:D

Danhercules
06-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by JESSE
the last time i was on rice road some guy with 2 sea doos passed me he had to be going 85 mph trailer all over the road about 5 miles up the road flat tire on his seadoo trailer so after all that passing and going way to fast. he would made it faster if he would have took it easy,and not f__ed up his tires
also how do you go to parker the other way?rice road is the only way i know and if thier is a easyer way i would love to try it
Take the 10 all the way to Blythe. Go over the river and take the 1st exit. Errinburge(sp) Head north. You will be in Parker in no time.

Dan Lorenze
06-22-2004, 08:08 AM
I have had several close calls recently on Hwy 138 from Palmdale to Victorville with these a$$holes who cross the double-double yellow line. There is NOTHING so important that you risk the lives of those riding with you to do something so stupid.
The 138 is one of the most dangerous Hwys in the country. You can see memorials all the way down the Hwy. Since the 210 opened up I can't see myself ever taking the 138 again when going to Vegas,Laughlin or any other place off the 15 or 40. Life is too short.
Coming home from Laughlin this weekend I saw a rust colored f350 doing Mach towing his boat home, I was afraid I was going to see him in a pile of rubble up ahead on the road.
We should all just get an early start on the drive home and take it easy...
Dan

jbtrailerjim
06-22-2004, 08:13 AM
My parents came up on that crash right after it happened on Thursday and said it was a very bad looking scene. I quit taking Rice Rd. recently and started going through Ehrenberg. Way too many idiot's on Rice Rd. taking chances crossing over double yellow lines and driving way too fast. Ehrenberg is only about fifteen minutes longer and a much easier and safer drive.

Floatin'
06-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Bre
That married couple was us. Our kids were with Andy in the Excursion.
May I ask what the big hurry is ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just don't understand the big rush to save a few minutes.

Bre
06-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Floatin'
May I ask what the big hurry is ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just don't understand the big rush to save a few minutes.
He had to work. You can be an ass I don't mind.

Bre
06-22-2004, 08:42 AM
He may make it sound like we were going really fast... but we were going 70 most the way and of course a lil faster when passing. Thanks for the concern though.

Floatin'
06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Bre
He had to work. You can be an ass I don't mind.
You forgot to say "Smart" first :D

Bre
06-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Floatin'
You forgot to say "Smart" first :D
LOL. We were in a hurry to get home I admit..but you can ask anyone that rides with me I am chicken shit to pull into the other lane unless I can see far ahead of me. But if we ever take both cars I put the kids inthe Excursion as it is bigger than the Focus and I feel better with them in there if something were to happen.

TCHB
06-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Everyone needs to slow down. We came upon a wrecked car last summer and one of the ladies was dead. She was all packed up for the river with summer clothes, beach chairs, and all the other river goods. We all want to get to the river or lake but must do it in a safe manner!!!

Thunderbutt
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
One time going down Rice road this guy passes me doing about 80 pulling a boat, there was smoke coming out of the boat. about 4 miles up he was stoped and trying to put out the fire he started by throughing out a cig. That is why I tow with the cover on.

Bre
06-23-2004, 11:32 AM
He still shouldn't have written for 75:eek: That;s not right..but if your happy that's all that matters.

MudPumper
06-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Bre, you are right it wasn't Memorial it was before that. Anyway, you guys didnt seem to be driving crazy, just passing a lot of cars and it always makes me nervous. Then when I realized I knew who you guys were it made me even more vervous. Its one thing if somebody I don't know gets hurt but if I know you I'm going to take it personal. I think you are a cool ass chick and wouldn't want anything bad to happen.;) :D