PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaner... Part Deux

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Ok, so I know how to clean vinyl, been cleaning that crap for the last 25 years in my boats... what do you do to clean the fabric interiors that Ultra, Advantage and a few other builders used in the 90s?
BTW this is a test and it will be graded... LOL...

Ntwotrance
06-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Ok, so I know how to clean vinyl, been cleaning that crap for the last 25 years in my boats... what do you do to clean the fabric interiors that Ultra, Advantage and a few other builders used in the 90s?
what type of material did they use?

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Ntwotrance
what type of material did they use?
It is a heavy supposedly marine tweed fabric... it seems to hold up pretty damn well...
I'd post some pics, but the HB web site seems to be down except for the forums...

Ntwotrance
06-20-2004, 08:54 PM
It is a heavy supposedly marine tweed fabric... it seems to hold up pretty damn well...
I'd post some pics, but the HB web site seems to be down except for the forums...
without seeing the acutal material, I'd have to say if it was me, I'd use a carpet cleaner/shampoo mixture...I'd stay away from the simple green (depending on the color of the material, as it would stain it)

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ntwotrance
without seeing the acutal material, I'd have to say if it was me, I'd use a carpet cleaner/shampoo mixture...I'd stay away from the simple green (depending on the color of the material, as it would stain it)
Actually I was going to see if I could get a chemdry guy to come do the boat upholstery and carpet. I think it'd be the safest way to get it clean. The backs of the driver and passenger bolsters are really dirty from being touched by people steadying themselves walking through the boat. I am sure it is a combo of skin and oil... needs a really good deep cleaning.

Ntwotrance
06-20-2004, 08:58 PM
that should work, but might have problems if your seats wrap around, there's a good chance portions of it might be missed. some material, you can allow the mixture to set for an extended period of time (about an hour or so, but not in extreme heat) to allow the cleaner to pull the stains out....just my thoughts on it...

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Funny you mention that, I was trying to see if it was possible to get all the seats, since the bolster seats are pretty square. Might be an issue... I'll see. I am going to try an auto detailer that does Chemdry and see what he thinks.

Dr. Eagle
06-20-2004, 09:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1152boat_front_top-med.jpg
There we go...... found it the back door way... where I posted it in another thread a while back.

Ntwotrance
06-20-2004, 09:10 PM
should be able to get it with chemdry no prob..

Outnumbered
06-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Dr E, a good friend of mine owns a carpet cleaning business and I will tell you that the only way to go is truck/van mounted steam extraction cleaning. You can have your seats and carpet done at the same time and you will be amazed at how nice it looks when its done.
Dont do Chem Dry they do not extract their chemicals or dirt and it will not leave the boat as clean. Chem Dry was invented for the people that complained about not being able to walk on their carpet for a few hours after it was steam cleaned. Most of the bad rep steam cleaning got about wet carpet was due to portable cleaners which didn't have enough power to pull the solution and dirt back out of the carpet. Van mounted cleaners have vacuums which are powered by 10 HP B&S motors. These machines have so much vacuum you can't run them full power without causing damage to some carpets. They will suck most of the moisture and all of the dirt out of your fabric and carpet.
Sorry for the long winded post I just didn't wan't to see you make a bad choice.
OL

Dr. Eagle
06-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Dr E, a good friend of mine owns a carpet cleaning business and I will tell you that the only way to go is truck/van mounted steam extraction cleaning. You can have your seats and carpet done at the same time and you will be amazed at how nice it looks when its done.
Dont do Chem Dry they do not extract their chemicals or dirt and it will not leave the boat as clean. Chem Dry was invented for the people that complained about not being able to walk on their carpet for a few hours after it was steam cleaned. Most of the bad rep steam cleaning got about wet carpet was due to portable cleaners which didn't have enough power to pull the solution and dirt back out of the carpet. Van mounted cleaners have vacuums which are powered by 10 HP B&S motors. These machines have so much vacuum you can't run them full power without causing damage to some carpets. They will suck most of the moisture and all of the dirt out of your fabric and carpet.
Sorry for the long winded post I just didn't wan't to see you make a bad choice.
OL
Thanks OL.... that makes some sense... and the stuff that needs to come out of these seats (not that bad really, but you can feel it) needs to come OUT of the seats. I'll look into a steam cleaner. And the length of time it stays wet is not really that important.

ahhell
06-21-2004, 06:25 AM
we wanna see....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/

Dr. Eagle
06-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ahhell
we wanna see....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/
see above...

Huckleberry
Chem Dry is a waste of money! All they do is clean the very top surface of your carpet, and they don't even do that very well. You could do it yourself much better with one of those Bissell carpet cleaning machines they sell at Costco. I have used one of them on my boat carpet and home furniture for many years, and it looks awesome. They also work good for spot cleaning around the casa. When its time to have the carpet cleaned, spend the money for a professional to do it right with the van cleaner like everyone has already said! My .02

ahhell
damn...late again:rolleyes: