PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't drive Rice Road

summerlove
06-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Head-on collision leaves five dead
NEEDLES, Calif. - On State Route 62 in California a five person two-car, fatal accident occurred Thursday afternoon. California Highway Patrol spokesman Officer Shannon Stumbaugh said neither car saw each other coming, because the car was attempting to pass a semi-truck while cresting a hill.
"Both vehicles exploded into flames and both drivers were killed. The three passengers in vehicle 1, the Lincoln, also sustained fatal injuries. Officer Michael Callahan is the investigating officer and will be assisted by Inland Division M.A.I.T. Identification of the deceased is yet to be determined due to the severity of the burns." All of the bodies have been taken to the San Bernardino County Coroner's Office and the investigation is being handled by CHP's Major Accident Investigation Team.
Officer Stumbaugh says the only eye-witness, a semi-truck driver, detailed the events. "The driver said the Lincoln just whipped out around him and boom, he just hit that car head-on. There was no evidence of any skid marks, just both vehicles burst into flames. So our M.A.I.T. team is our Major Accident Investigation Team and they come out and it is really in depth what they do."

Scream
06-21-2004, 08:34 AM
That's just disgusting. Why in God's name would anyone need to be zippin around that fast, that stupidly on a two lane road in the first place. 5 dead... That makes no sense.
Scream

Dr. Eagle
06-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Damn, that's 10 people this weekend just in 2 accidents... bummer:(

Phat Matt
06-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Summerlove, what is your other route. Through Blythe?

welk2party
06-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I have had so many close calls on that road. I still drive it though. Best way to get to the Landing. People pass me like I am going nowhere sometimes.

Ultra5150
06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
My wife and I were just talking about it as we drove home from Havasu yesterday afternoon. She said this way just seems longer, I said this way is safer. Quartzite is on 19 miles longer than Rice Road but is a straight 21 miles to the 10 with hardly any traffic. It takes us an extra 10 minutes longer than going down Rice Road.
I will not jeapordize my family for an extra 10 minutes.

havaduner
06-21-2004, 09:12 AM
I got to the accident scene a couple hours after it happened. They were trying to figure how to get the bodies out. I dont think this accident was survivable even without the fire. THis is the second time i have seen this type of situation (passing over a hill) on rice road/95 in the last couple years. I guess people dont know what that double yellow line means. It makes me nervous to think how many times a year I drive these roads.

Dr. Eagle
06-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by havaduner
I guess people dont know what that double yellow line means.
I have seen it time and time again where some impatient prick passes where there is a double yellow "no passing' zone. It'd be fine with me if they were only putting themselves at risk, but they risk others as well. THey have no business with a DL IMO....

h2oski2fast
06-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Ultra5150
My wife and I were just talking about it as we drove home from Havasu yesterday afternoon. She said this way just seems longer, I said this way is safer. Quartzite is on 19 miles longer than Rice Road but is a straight 21 miles to the 10 with hardly any traffic. It takes us an extra 10 minutes longer than going down Rice Road.
If you go through Blythe, get off at exit 1 or A (I don't know what they call it now, but it's where the truck stop is), make a left go over the freeway to the stop sign. Then make a right, go through Erinberg and Poston, follow the road and you'll end up by the Parker Hospital. It's way faster then going through Quartzite.

MudPumper
06-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Damn, that's 10 people this weekend just in 2 accidents... bummer:(
Pretty sure there was only one accident, 5 people.

RiverDave
06-21-2004, 10:13 AM
So your averaging 120mph on this safer route?
21 miles @ 60 mph = 21 minutes.
I saw the Navigator on the flat bed as it arrived @ Parker Oil. It was very "spooky" seeing the same truck that I was driving in that condition. I stopped and looked at it for a minute (just drove around it) and it was a very sad scene to say the least. You could see all the peoples stuff still in what was left of the truck etc.. :( I always wondered how my truck would fair in a high speed accident or a roll over situation.. can't say I was very pleased with what I saw as a result.
RD

rrrr
06-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Pretty sure there was only one accident, 5 people.
Unfortunately that's not the case.
Nevada I-15 crash (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50338)

summerlove
06-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Summerlove, what is your other route. Through Blythe?
yep - through Poston and ehrenberg. Two lane, but it's a wide road with no dips and or curves...only 8 miles further than the rice rd route. PLus Interstate for an additional 40 miles or so....

Ultra5150
06-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
So your averaging 120mph on this safer route?
21 miles @ 60 mph = 21 minutes.
RD
From Havasu to Desert Center it takes us two hours on Rice road, From Havasu to Desert Center it takes us two hours and 10 minutes going through Quartzite. It is 19 miles longer total trip to my home going through Quartzite.

Ziggy
06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I noticed a fresh burn/scorched spot at the crest of a small hump on the road not that far after the double tracks heading home, think the railroad was still parallel at that point....I thought maybe someones once a year motorhome caught fire, now I know it was FAR more serious--
I just cruise that road these days(~73-74mph), I'm in no hurry and won't pass unless its CLEARLY safe...and yet people with boats behind them still pass me...they look at me like I'm goofy for driving so slow with no trailer:rolleyes: I then just shake my head and point at the Semi bearing down on them.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Watch your speed going thru Ehrenberg/Poston/Sotuh Parker rout. You are travelling on Indian Highway 1 and the CRIT PD will pull you over.