PDA

View Full Version : Rice Road Drivers Poll

Ziggy
06-21-2004, 10:47 AM
After reading about the recent head on I was wondering about what you do out of habit and what speeds you drive. To me the speeds on Rice have seemingly slowed some but there are still the few that can't hold back. Elaborate on what you do to stay safer.
You can pick more than one answer.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-21-2004, 10:55 AM
well I voted for headlights on.. the speed you can vary for safety issues.. no matter how fast you go or how slow you always have a jerk that wants to pass at 100 then get mad at you because they can't get back in while passing 3-4 cars at a time..

Starloans
06-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I have the automatic daytime running lights which I think is great out there. I think they are GAY during the day in town. <75 towing. >75 not towing and no cars close by.

THOR
06-21-2004, 11:15 AM
I travel under 75 whether I am towing or not on that road. I still get scared and dont travel that on Sunday afternoons or Friday afternoons/evenings. It just plain scares me. It would scare me as much if my wife and daughter werent in the truck.
I am goint to start going through 29 palms to cut off some of Rice road.

Bre
06-21-2004, 11:33 AM
We always have our headlights on while traveling on Rice Road. Makes it easier for people on the opposite side to see that you are in their lane;) I drove the whole thing yesterday. I got up to 93 while passing , I was not towing. Once we got on the freeway I let Andy drive. He hates the way I drive..and I hate the way he drives:rolleyes: I think we need to start driving seperate cars;) But as far as my normal speed when I wasn't passing... I had the cruise control set at 73.

TheEduKATor
06-21-2004, 11:39 AM
If you are behind me sorry, maybe 70 mph is all I'll do. My bro and I had a pretty close call 4 years back and that was towing a 19' Jet boat. The truck in front of us blew it's tire and kicked up the steal belt towards our driver window. My bro moved over slightly so it would hit the side of the truck but all it took was that little movement and we were out of control on two wheels and the trailer almost turned over. We were at the mercy of the road and ended up stopped taking up both lanes of Rice Road. Trailer bent, boat barely hanging on. Our friends saw everything happen behind us and thought we were dead and didn't want to approach the car for fear of seeing death. The part doesn't start til we get there anyways. So if you come up behind me and see "The EduKATor" take it easy, I don't want to almost die again.

Scream
06-21-2004, 11:41 AM
It's been at least 15 years since I was on Rice Rd, and it sucked back then. There was a thread not too long ago in HSW talking about alternate routes on the AZ side. The last time I went to Parker was on the AZ side and it was nice and liesurely, no need to get myself killed or my family for that matter...
Headlights on, speed below 75 regardless, and get there in one piece w/o white knuckles.
Scream <----just because I can.

mtndewdrops
06-21-2004, 12:24 PM
I usually cruise between 75 and 80, since I am not towing. Always have headlights on. I find it tough to pass a guy pulling a boat at 70+ on Rice until you can see a long empty stretch of road ahead. I don't like to chance it.
Sometimes I will just put on a new CD in and crank the tunes. I will get there eventually.

waterboy
06-21-2004, 12:45 PM
i had a close call also, but it was all my fault. 1988 going out to havasu left at 11:00 pm fri night was on rice road just past 29 palms turn off i fell asleep rolled my truck dont know how many times. Me and my buddy both flew out he went fist while we were still on the road and got road rash real bad, i fell out later in some bushes was unconscous for a while i couldnt move people stopped and went for help, (this was before call boxes) we were there for 2.5 hrs before ambulance showed up. totaled my truck and 2 jet skis and trailer. but i am still around and still take rice road.:cool: