PDA

View Full Version : Bad accident on the river last week.

eliminatedsprinter
06-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I have been off the boards for a week. Did anyone post anything about the accident that happened last week? Apparently a large cat was struck head on by a smaller boat at high speed and a man and his 10 year old son were killed. Has anyone posted the details?

91nordic29
06-21-2004, 11:58 AM
in today's az republic:
Search for dad after boat crash suspended
advertisement
Associated Press
Jun. 21, 2004 12:00 AM
LAKE HAVASU CITY - Heavy boat traffic forced divers to suspend a search over the weekend for a Southern California man missing since a boat crash killed one of his sons and seriously injured another, authorities said.
Tyler Patchett, 10, of Moorpark, Calif., was killed in the Wednesday crash.
His brother, Stephan Patchett, 18, was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
He was listed in good condition Friday.
Steven Patchett was thrown from the boat and has been missing since the crash. Divers were using sonar and a remote-operated vehicle, said Sgt. Tim Smith of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, which was conducting the search.
The father's 32- to 34-foot catamaran collided with a powerboat Wednesday on the lake straddling the California-Arizona border.
The boys' mother and sister were at a resort about 20 miles away when the crash occurred, authorities said.
Four adults and two children aboard the powerboat suffered minor injuries.
The search was scheduled to resume today.

Brady Bunch
06-21-2004, 03:30 PM
That's Horrible! What a tragic accident.
My prayers go out to there family!

riverrunner
06-21-2004, 03:55 PM
My prayers go out to the family. I can't even imagine what they are going through right now.

JetBoatRich
06-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I did not hear about it, terrible news:( my heart goes out to the family as they go through this terrible time

sandblasted
06-21-2004, 05:07 PM
The L.A. Daily news carried the story on friday...They claimed the other boater admitted to drinking alcohol....just a tragic event no matter what the cause was...

eliminatedsprinter
06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by sandblasted
The L.A. Daily news carried the story on friday...They claimed the other boater admitted to drinking alcohol....just a tragic event no matter what the cause was...
That is where I read about it also. It hit me close to home, because I love to boat with my 10 year old son. Since I have no other kids, if he was to parish in an accident, I would want to be granted the mercy of being killed with him.

Bre
06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
My husbands parents are out there right now..they said they had a bunch of people/boats looking for him yesterday:( I hate hearing about stuff like this.

No Regrets
06-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Someone @ Springs said the boats were playin chicken.
Are you ****in kidding me?

eliminatedsprinter
06-22-2004, 03:57 PM
With his 10 year old on board???Oh god....If that is true, then it would indeed be mercifull for the father to have died with him. What father could ever live something like that down?

BILLY.B
06-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by No Regrets
Someone @ Springs said the boats were playin chicken.
C'MON MAN. To say "SOMEONE SAID" is bullshit!!!!. No one really knows what happenend unless they were there. This was a tragic deal and it gets really old when people say things they don't know anything about and start spreading rumors. :mad: Now i'm not saying your that guy, I mean the person at the Springs should keep his mouth shut until all the evidence is in. My heart goes out to the Wife/ Mother, Daughter, and the Son that survived the crash, my prayers go out to you.

mtndewdrops
06-23-2004, 05:46 AM
I didn't hear about this one...how tragic. Our prayers to the family.:(
Makes me think I need a bigger boat.

91nordic29
06-23-2004, 06:26 AM
the way the article mde it sound was that a powerboat hit a catamaran (sailboat). ?????:confused:

hot_diggity_dog
06-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
I have been off the boards for a week. Did anyone post anything about the accident that happened last week? Apparently a large cat was struck head on by a smaller boat at high speed and a man and his 10 year old son were killed. Has anyone posted the details?
Here' the full story including the recovery of the 2nd body.
Too sad!
HDD:cool: Havasu Boating Accident kills two (http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000154)

Danhercules
06-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
the way the article mde it sound was that a powerboat hit a catamaran (sailboat). ?????:confused:
Correct me if I am wrong, but a catamaran is a Cat, not the kind that MEOW, but the kind like Hairless Kitty.

91nordic29
06-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Correct me if I am wrong, but a catamaran is a Cat, not the kind that MEOW, but the kind like Hairless Kitty.
http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/images/group_mid3.jpg

Boatcop
06-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Victim's Body Found
Please be careful out there, Folks!! :(
Body of second boating victim found
By Sharon Dunham
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 11:22 PM MDT
Officials recovered the body of a 48-year-old California man on Tuesday, nearly a week after he fell from a boat in an accident that killed his 10-year-old son and left an older son in fair condition at a Las Vegas hospital.
Steven Patchett's body surfaced near the scene of the two-boat collision in the Colorado River between the Arizona and California shorelines across from the Havasu Palms resort, said Sgt. Church Willis with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the agency conducting the search by boat and with a dive team. The body was found at 12:30 p.m.
Willis said that searches for a body in the water usually take between three and five days, depending on the heat and on what the victim ate before the accident. Sometimes, officials need as long as two weeks to find victims if they're hung up on something underwater, he said.
At least a half-dozen divers with the county dive team searched underwater from the time of the accident last Wednesday, but suspended diving because of heavy boat traffic Saturday and Sunday. However, officials continued a surface water search on the weekend, Willis said.
Patchett and his sons, of Moorpark, Calif., were on a 32-foot catamaran when it collided with a speedboat carrying six Corona, Calif., passengers about 6 p.m. Tyler Patchett, 10, was ejected and died at the scene. His brother, Stephan, 18, was listed Tuesday in fair condition with head injuries at the Las Vegas University Medical Center.
Passengers on the second boat - a 23-foot Magic speedboat - received only minor injuries
The boys' 12-year-old sister, Kalen, and their mother, Sheila, were at the Black Meadow Landing resort about 20 miles away when the crash occurred.
Though the Patchetts are divorced, they frequently vacationed together, neighbors said.
The driver of the boat that struck Patchett's told police he had been drinking before the high-speed crash, said Sgt. Phil Odom of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. The preliminary investigation indicated alcohol might be a factor in the collision, authorities said.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Boating Accident Investigation Team is investigating the accident.
You may contact the reporter at sdunham@havasunews.com

Debbolas
06-23-2004, 07:37 PM
:(
so sad:frown:

Partycattin
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Driver gets probation in fatal boat collision
By Michelle Klampe, mklampe@VenturaCountyStar.com
July 19, 2006
Family members of a Ventura County father and son killed in a Lake Havasu boating accident confronted the man charged with their deaths at an emotional sentencing hearing here Tuesday.
"The crash tore apart my family and I'm left with only half a family. All I have are memories and pictures of my father and brother," said Kalen Patchett, 14, of Moorpark.
Her brother Tyler, 10, and father Steven, of Simi Valley, were killed in the June 16, 2004, crash. Her brother Stephan, 20, was seriously injured.
The Patchetts — Steven, his ex-wife Sheila, Stephan, Kalen and Tyler — were vacationing at the lake when Steven and the boys went on a boat ride and were struck by an oncoming power boat operated by Robert Padilla of Corona.
Padilla was charged with vehicular manslaughter but pleaded guilty to one felony count of boating under the influence after reaching an agreement with prosecutors in April.
At the formal sentencing Tuesday, San Bernardino Superior Court Judge Joseph Brisco sentenced Padilla to three years' probation. Padilla also had to forfeit his driver's license, and must attend counseling and alcohol education programs.
Padilla did not speak during the sentencing hearing. Afterward, he and his wife apologized to Sheila Patchett and her children in the hallway outside the courtroom.
"I'm very sorry," Padilla told Patchett softly.
"We do think about both of them every day," said his wife, Kimberly.
Padilla's lawyer, Debra S. White, said her client agreed to the plea in order to prevent "the pain of a trial."
Sheila Patchett said she was disappointed that Padilla would serve no jail time, but glad the deal called for a felony conviction and the opportunity for her and her children to give victim impact statements.
Before the judge issued the sentence, Kalen, Sheila and Stephan Patchett spoke about the devastating loss of Tyler and Steven. Although Steven and Sheila had been divorced several years, they remained close friends and vacationed together with their children often.
"He was my partner and best friend," Sheila Patchett said. "I needed and depended on him. Without him I feel so all alone."
She was nearly overcome with sobs as she talked about the loss of her son.
"I miss every single thing about him, whether it be good or bad," she said.
"There is not a minute in a day which I don't think about him or yearn to hold him."
Kalen Patchett spoke of missing the chance to have her father walk her down the aisle at her wedding or drive her brother to school after she gets her license.
"The little brother who pestered me, made fun of me, even tried to embarrass me by hanging his head out the window and calling my name, I wouldn't mind that anymore if only I could have him back," she said.
"All I'm really asking for is justice ¿ justice for my family, though justice can't bring back daddy and Tyler."
Stephan Patchett, who suffered severe injuries to his face, faces additional surgery. He, his mother and sister all suffer from survivor's guilt, he said.
"I stand alone, being the last true witness to that man's atrocity, feeling guilt because I survived and they didn't," he said. "Every time I see the scars on my face, I am forced to relive that hellish moment. That feeling will never diminish."

carreraelite
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Sad Story..... All of the survivors are victims(both families). Sadly,I don't think that any of there lives will ever be the same.......... :cry:

Screemy1
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
wow, two years down the road and thats that.... love the legal system.... I hope the victims family make it all right, ....... :mad:

JetBoatRich
07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
probabtion :mad:

NorCalCat
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
What is wrong with people? I have been boating all my life. Mainly hot boats too. I have heard of only a handful of accidents like this. It seems like every time I log onto Hot Boat there is another death in Havasu.
What is happening? Seriously, I have no idea what is going on there. I visit havasu about 2 times a year and I am amazed at all the IDIOTS on the water.
Sorry to vent, it has just gotten so bad!

aquaholic5150
07-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Steve was one of my best friends. I have know him and his family for well over 8 years. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how the F they can send Martha fing Stewart to jail but this MF only gets 3 years probation and his lic taken away. Steve loved his family above all else and now his family is torn apart and his KILLER gets a slap on the hand. Our legal system SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

acatitude
07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Steve was one of my best friends. I have know him and his family for well over 8 years. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how the F they can send Martha fing Stewart to jail but this MF only gets 3 years probation and his lic taken away. Steve loved his family above all else and now his family is torn apart and his KILLER gets a slap on the hand. Our legal system SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
yea only knowing what we do about the incident, I agree, someone takes 2 lives and gets 3 years probation,,,,,,, un real

framer1
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I've gotten more time than that for loitering. Very strange!!

CBadDad
07-19-2006, 07:28 PM
As I read it, he plea bargained out of the vehicular manslaughter (times 2) and pled guilty to boating under the influence. There is no jail time for that (is there?) and the family of the deceased agreed to it.
Sad and no justice for the dead.

OCMerrill
07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I am not a lawyer but by agreeing to the plea bargain ends the penalty phase and that opens the door to a Civil Trial. If the victims lawyer did things correctly then all the guilty parties assets should have been frozen.
Most likely no jail time will still find the guilty man life ruined in a different manner. Doesn’t make up for it though.
If it were me I would have a hard time letting him walk around. :crossx: :crossx:

WUTWZAT
07-22-2006, 08:54 AM
No matter what happens, no fine or jail time can even come close to replacing those lost. An accident is bad for everyone involved and the only thing worse than being injured or dealing with the loss of a loved one is hearing the rumors and aqusations that go around. I think Billy B said it right..
C'MON MAN. To say "SOMEONE SAID" is bullshit!!!!. No one really knows what happenend unless they were there. This was a tragic deal and it gets really old when people say things they don't know anything about and start spreading rumors. Now i'm not saying your that guy, I mean the person at the Springs should keep his mouth shut until all the evidence is in. My heart goes out to the Wife/ Mother, Daughter, and the Son that survived the crash, my prayers go out to you.
Maybe this oughta be added as some type of disclaimer to each one of these threads when they do appear. Just my .02.
Jason