PDA

View Full Version : Best marina to launch a 29 near Needles?

skygod73
06-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Just wondering which launch ramps are best for launching a 29?
We like staying in Laughlin and driving down. Is the Avi large enough, and is the water deep enough heading south? How about Park Moabi? I just did Needles marina thanks to Frenchie, and it was good. Any other good suggestions?
Thanks.

Hustler
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Try Moabi, if the water is down at needles you will have a hard time getting out but at Moabi you should have no problems at all

dicudmore
06-21-2004, 01:01 PM
people have suggested moabi to me also, have not put my 29 in there yet....

SoCalOffshore
06-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Moabi should be fine, but I find it a tad small for that large of a boat. Namely just making the turn and backing down with the curbs as lane markers.

FRENCHIE
06-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by skygod73
We like staying in Laughlin and driving down. Is the Avi large enough, and is the water deep enough heading south? How about Park Moabi? I just did Needles marina thanks to Frenchie, and it was good. Any other good suggestions?
Thanks.
no problems bro! how come your still looking???;)

DogHouse
06-21-2004, 06:45 PM
I've launched my 28 cat at Moabi and Avi. Avi is a small ramp stuck out in the current without much of a breakwater. Once you leave the trailer you better be in gear and under power! Moabi is a great place to launch, totally protected and quiet. Great beach too. Yeah there are little curb dividers between the lanes but that just keeps ya honest and in your own lane.
Wait a minute, what am I saying, Moabi sucks, yeah that's the ticket! ;)
:cool:

Mandelon
06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Topock Marina is well protected and deep enough. Watch the mouth on the way out. It is across the bridge and a bit south of Moabi. It doesn't have the 1/4 mile no wake zone either. Not a ton of parking, but I've never seen it that busy, has food and gas, and is only $5.

FRENCHIE
06-21-2004, 07:21 PM
good to know!;)

fourspeednup
06-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Topock Marina is well protected and deep enough. Watch the mouth on the way out. It is across the bridge and a bit south of Moabi. It doesn't have the 1/4 mile no wake zone either. Not a ton of parking, but I've never seen it that busy, has food and gas, and is only $5.
Topock has a very narrow and steep ramp. But so long as you have a powerful tow rig and can finesse the gas pedal it shouldn't be a prob pulling out:cool:

ACCEPTENCE
06-22-2004, 08:52 AM
We tried to launch our salvage vessel there (Topock) and with a 32 foot long trailer unless the water is up-up the trailer bottoms out in the back, no launchin there. $10.00 per day.
Don't know about Moabi. ???
Needles is always a good place to launch. $10.00 per day.
If your there before 10:00 when they shut down the ramp to the public.
Jack Smith Park just south of Needles on the same road is very launchable when the water is up. Even when the water is low if you run down the middle of the ramp then at the last moment aim the trailer sideways towards the river channel you should have enough depth and be fine. $5.00 per day.

79 HUSTLER
06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ACCEPTENCE
We tried to launch our salvage vessel there (Topock) and with a 32 foot long trailer unless the water is up-up the trailer bottoms out in the back, no launchin there. $10.00 per day.
Don't know about Moabi. ???
Needles is always a good place to launch. $10.00 per day.
If your there before 10:00 when they shut down the ramp to the public.
Jack Smith Park just south of Needles on the same road is very launchable when the water is up. Even when the water is low if you run down the middle of the ramp then at the last moment aim the trailer sideways towards the river channel you should have enough depth and be fine. $5.00 per day.
You act like you know the town of Needles or something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

79 HUSTLER
06-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by skygod73
Thanks.
Moabi is a nice place to launch at. Launch my 29 there with no problems. Very nice beech to hang out at and has a conv. store. Would not try at topock. I started to try but was afraid the front of my trailer, near the jack was gonna scrape on the crest of the ramp. Way to steep and pretty slimy, espially for a 29. IMHO. KELLY

PlaneNutz
06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree. I used to launch my 28' at Moabe. Great experience every time.

skygod73
06-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys,
You peeps is all right with me. I think I 'll give Moabi a try next time.
Frenchie,
Needles was good, people were very helpful. I just want to get some experience with a few of them around there so I have backup plans if there is a problem with one. Can't have too many options. I really liked staying in Laughin driving down to needles, I can hit Mohave/Havasu easy. Bummer about Avi, it's so close to Laughlin. I would have stayed there if the ramp/marina was nice.
Later,
Carl

FRENCHIE
06-22-2004, 07:58 PM
10-4 got it!!;)

Debbolas
06-22-2004, 08:58 PM
The thing about Moabi, is the LONG HOT DRIVE TO THE RIVER from the ramp. It is really long and hot. Stay to the right, there are sand bars by the beaches on the left. (going out) I have driven it at night (not fun) but do-able....
And the lane dividers are queer.
Don't shop at the Marina Store as the ownership has changed...:(