PDA

View Full Version : Registration on a new haul (need help)

red rocker fan
06-21-2004, 12:52 PM
What do I need to show when Registring a new hull. I know I have to trailer the hull to the DMV with receipts But does all the rigging an motor an pump need to be installed when I take It to the DMV?

Essex502
06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Did you mean "hull"?

dicudmore
06-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Did you mean "hull"?
post *****....I let that go since I couldn't answer the guys question ;)

red rocker fan
06-21-2004, 01:35 PM
yes hull sorry.

Bre
06-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I do not believe so.....but the again..do you have to register something that doesn't run:confused: Do you need me to find you the DMVs number? I'm sure they can answer your question better than we can :)

Some Kind Of Monster
06-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I believe you need to show them the numbers on the transom providing you have them. I am not sure what happens if you don't have them.

Bre
06-21-2004, 01:39 PM
From what lil I know..all you have to show them is the bill of sale or pink slip. We didn't have to bring our boat in either.

Bre
06-21-2004, 01:49 PM
But we registered our boat in Arizona... I'm not sure what California will make you do..I think it also might depend on what year the hull is. But you said it was/is brand new...so you shouldn't have to take it down there. Now when registering the trailer to the boat in Ca... you have to drag it down there.

Essex502
06-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Call the DMV information line...they will tell you what you need to do. It sounds like the hull was purchased bare from some source other than a boat manufacturer who would have taken care of this for you. Since you will need to register the trailer just take both the boat and trailer to the DMV. Be prepared for possible sales tax payment required at the DMV and a subsequent property tax bill from your county once you register it in CA.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Hmm, Perhaps you only need to show the numbers if you don't have the title.

GASHGAZER
06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
register through the coast guard, no need for CF numbers and it dodges property taxes. DMV registration allows them to assess it and pay luxury tax.
Coast guard documention also gets better advantages when in an emergency situation.

red rocker fan
06-21-2004, 02:58 PM
This is a new hull out of the mold. We built this hull our selfs. I have tryed to call the DMV hotline an cant get through. How would I contack the coast gaurd?

coolchange
06-21-2004, 03:11 PM
The dmv sends someone to look at the hull and assign it a # and asses its value. Get on it now, it used to take a loooong time.
Have receipts for proof of cost ,ownership etc.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-21-2004, 03:14 PM
In Arizona we register through the Game and Fish department. It makes things easier because the DMV is a jammed hell hole.

Scream
06-21-2004, 03:16 PM
If you're a member of AAA, call them, they can help. Don't call DMV, those people are brain dead, I swear. Go to the website, and be prepared to spend a lot of time tracking down you problem. You will have to do a request for a certificate of number from DMV, or similar in AZ. You will have to get the hull Identificatin Number verified (paperwork and physical verification) and that can be done at the AAA or the DMV.
All the necessary DMV forms are available at thier website at www.dmv.ca.gov or at AAA.
I sorta went through this when I registered the trailer for my boat I bought in AZ. The boat is AZ, the trailer is CA.
Scream

red rocker fan
06-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the info . I will post some pictures when we get this boat going. once again thanks for the help.

coolchange
06-21-2004, 03:26 PM
if I understand you right, you need a # assigned not VERIFIED. I dont think AAA does that any more. I know a guy thart has a registration service. I dont know if he does boats or not. I'll find out and get a #

GASHGAZER
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/genpub.htm
This is where you start.... I know of a service that helps documenting things, but the info is in the boat at storage. But it really isn't too hard, all you have to do is give them all the specs and it's self explanitory....

red rocker fan
06-22-2004, 07:17 AM
That would be helpfull coolchange thanks.

coolchange
06-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Called him last night and he doesnt do boats. Different deal totally. Gashazer has the link to the CG. Thats where you need to go. Like I said it takes a long time so get started. A friend of mine said it took 6 months to get them out. Another friend became a manufacturer and did his own #'s.

red rocker fan
06-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks alot. Ive started right now.