PDA

View Full Version : Water in my oil ????

MAINEVENT
06-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I have a rebulit 454 bbc with OT headers i was getting way too much water out of my headers and a little bit of steam out of my breather so i called it quits checked the oil and was white??? I am thinking water went in from my headers in? What is a good way to flush my motor?? i heard to drain it then fill with fresh oil run a bit at idle then drain it again sound good ??? or is there an additive to realy flush everything out?:confused:
need some .02
Thanx

ONAROLL
06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Mainevent, just change the oil and filter, run it and do it again, it will clear, you need to address you water flow issue before you "milkshake' it again.

MAINEVENT
06-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanx i did find that my basset tee valve was not working right the ball sunk in to the spring so i ordered a new ball and spring from rex today and i have a valve to adjust my Flow thanks again for the input off to drain the milkshake :D

Petrofied
06-21-2004, 10:57 PM
The Bassett T Valve spring is directional It has 2 tight wound coils at the top to keep the ball from sinking into the spring. Be sure to check the new unit I find them upsidedown all the time. Hope this helps & good luck, :)
MR.P.

fourspeednup
06-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Be sure to run the motor a little warmer than usual next time out as well. One oil change won't get rid of all the vanilla milkshake in there. If you can get it over 160 or a bit more it should do it:cool:

MAINEVENT
06-22-2004, 06:59 AM
i ran the motor after the firt oil change for about 3-4 mins then drained it again after i had changed the milkshake this will be the second batch i will put in will it be good to run for a trip this way i dont want to tear it up the oil i drained the second time was clearing up but i look in the valve cover and still see a little bit of milky shity in their quick question what oil do you guys recommend using, Brand And weight???

Danhercules
06-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I use a 40 wt.
Make sure your gate valve on the inlet of your cooling water is not open all the way, unless you have a pressure regulator. there is too much pressure at WOT for your motor.
I run mine almost one full turn open. Bout 7/8's of a turn. I get no water in my oil and my motor dose not get hot.

MAINEVENT
06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
i have a Hi Tech performance bypass kit on it how much H2o should run thru the header? When i ran it the first time it was very little i was told that was fine and it kicked in at about 2k rpms and stopped at idle

Oldsquirt
06-22-2004, 10:24 AM
You should not see "water" coming out of the headers, only steam.

MAINEVENT
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
OK cause the guys who built the motor kept telling me you need a lot more water coming out of header I knew he was full of shit :yuk: Thanx for the input guys

moneysucker
06-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MAINEVENT
OK cause the guys who built the motor kept telling me you need a lot more water coming out of header I knew he was full of shit :yuk: Thanx for the input guys What do they care. water to the headers does nothing for the motor unless you have too much, then you have a milkshake maker and can sometimes do valve dammage. Water to the headers only keeps the chrome loooking good.

MarKist
06-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by moneysucker
What do they care. water to the headers does nothing for the motor unless you have too much, then you have a milkshake maker and can sometimes do valve dammage. Water to the headers only keeps the chrome loooking good. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2279scan.jpg I went and got a pressure gauge at northern tool (I think it was 12.00 )so I would know what the water pressure was any time,I'm glad I did, the first time out,the gauge was reading ..like.. 65lbs @WOT !!wat too much!! :eek:((yes ,it milkshaked) and I all ready was wide open on the dump line so ..notice the black hose going out the back:wink: after that I shut the valve about have way, so.. now I have no water coming out the headers at idle,and steam at WOT:D :D just thought you might want a gage, it was cheep ,and a easy intall:idea:
MarKist

MAINEVENT
06-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MarKist
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2279scan.jpg I went and got a pressure gauge at northern tool (I think it was 12.00 )so I would know what the water pressure was any time,I'm glad I did, the first time out,the gauge was reading ..like.. 65lbs @WOT !!wat too much!! :eek:((yes ,it milkshaked) and I all ready was wide open on the dump line so ..notice the black hose going out the back:wink: after that I shut the valve about have way, so.. now I have no water coming out the headers at idle,and steam at WOT:D :D just thought you might want a gage, it was cheep ,and a easy intall:idea:
MarKist
I must be reading it wrong, i get the gauge (how did you install that?? on to you thermo housing?? Drill & Tap?)but i am not getting what the black hose does???:confused: is it another dump?

MarKist
06-25-2004, 04:38 AM
you hit the nail on the head!!:wink: yes the black hose is a dump line also ,but that was just temporary I now have it plumb in s.s.
and it work fine!!good luck!
MarKist

Aluminum Squirt
06-25-2004, 07:03 AM
I use the Hi-Tech regulator and a T-Rex thermo housing and I have no more water issues and my temp stay around 160 (fluctuates a little due to the thermostat). My system is pretty simple because my headers are dry but the concept is the same. I never did put a gauge on the system, probably should have, but I know its bullet proof now with the regulator and thermostat-Aluminum Squirt