PDA

View Full Version : throughbred v drive

THE VIKING
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Hello, having a little trouble here.
My homebuild v drive boat has now been for a spin at the fjord,( great fun) and it all seems to work good, except for the fact that i have a prop release kit in the v drive.
Since i run it with an autobox (BMW) it seems stupid not to jam the prop release and thereby gain a reverse gear.
Does anyone know if throughbred ever made a part to fit instead of the two propreleasediscs???? or do i have to have one made???
AND if so, does anyone have one lying around??
Thankyou
The viking.

Moneypitt
06-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't think you've got a prop release, what I think you're experiencing is the drive dogs. They're made to catch in the forward rotation direction, but not the other way, so if you try to use reverse, they will disengage. This isn't a good thing, as the ears that engage in the forward direction are prone to wearing out on the corners and then the drive will pop out at the most unexpected time. IF you do truly have a prop release for the Aero v drive, I want more info on it as I use an Aero in my old Hydro and would love to have the safety feature of a prop release. Moneypitt

GofastRacer
06-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Ain't no way you would have a prop release for one of those, they went out of business way before the prop realease came out. And if I remember right(correct me if I'm wrong) the first one was a one way clutch dealio made by Stellings that went on the prop shaft to the output shaft of the v-drive!..

Rexone
06-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
And if I remember right(correct me if I'm wrong) the first one was a one way clutch dealio made by Stellings that went on the prop shaft to the output shaft of the v-drive!..
Algon prop release. Ran one on my avatar boat. Looked like an Apollo Space capsule. Worked pretty good. Pre whirlaway days. :)

GofastRacer
06-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Algon prop release. Ran one on my avatar boat. Looked like an Apollo Space capsule. Worked pretty good. Pre whirlaway days. :)
That's right it was an Algon and sold by Stellings!..:)

LakesOnly
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by THE VIKING
Hello, having a little trouble here....The viking.
You too, eh buddy? I'm searching high and low for T-Bred stuff.
Here's a tidbit of info that Moneypitt had to say in my post:
Originally posted by Moneypitt
Call Phil Bergeron, or Steve McElroy. Bergeron's is over near Phoenix, and Mc Elroy is in orange county. If you can't locate these guys, let me know. BTW the drive dog rotation direction is the same as your prop. (LH/or RH). If the motor is in for circles, driving off the front, you should have a RH prop, and need RH dogs. Bergeron reconditions the dogs, that's where I got mine for my Aero v drive. If you're popping the dogs, chances are the detent lever may be bad. I had to re work mine, and with the re cond. dogs I've had zero problems.............Moneypit
By the way, ther thread is here:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44154&highlight=thoroughbred
LO
p.s. somebody told me that Thoroughbred was the v-drive of choice until the owner's son took over the business in the mid-sixties...at which point they went to shitt. Then Casale came along took away the business...is this true?

THE VIKING
06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I think mr. Moneypitt is correct about the drive dog name, the description is correct anyway I'm gonna have a tube with splines made so that i can stop the backward rotation .
Thanks for the answers