PDA

View Full Version : Resin experiences.

dmontzsta
06-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I am going to attempt to fix my crack. I have talked to several people and get diffrerent advice.
So far I have been told to use Poly resin cause that is what was probably used when the boat was built. Then I have heard of epoxy resin, but have been told it can weaken with heat and other weather conditions. Now my friend that makes alot of carbon fiber hoods and parts recommends a vinyl ester resin? he said it cures faster but is a bit more expensive. Have you guys ever used this stuff? he said the fiberglass and resin he could get me for around $25 since he has an account with the company that sales it.
Thanks in advance.

Kurtis500
06-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I currently use all three. I would bet your boat was built with polyesther resin, maybe a vinyl esther. I would just scuff up the area and use the polyester resin to fix your repair. Polyesther and vinyl esther cure up in the same time depending on how the resin is activated (DMA, cobalt blah blah blah). 1% - 2.5% catalyst is used. I would use 1.5% in the summer at the most. More catalyst the hotter it gets and more warpage.
Epoxy is a different compound, I would use the polyester to bond to itself before you try epoxy.

Spotondl
06-22-2004, 03:56 PM
You should definitely use polyester resin for your repair if your hull was originally laid up in polyester. Epoxy and polyester shrink at different rates over time and your crack will reappear. Make sure to really scuff up the surrounding area so that a good mechanical bond is created. Just my .02.

wsuwrhr
06-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Crap, I thought we were talking about something else.
Brian:)

Spotondl
06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Crap, I thought we were talking about something else.
Brian:)
That kind of resin makes for a tarry mess but I would bet that the water repellant qualities would be good. Not too sure how it would fare at speed though.... Any expert tokers have an opinion on that one? :D :D :D

wsuwrhr
06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
I am going to attempt to fix my crack.
Have you guys ever used this stuff?
Brian