PDA

View Full Version : Olsen Twin, in the news....

RiverToysJas
06-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Mary-Kate Olsen Treated for Eating Disorder
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
http://www.foxnews.com/images/129105/1_21_olsen_marykate.jpg
NEW YORK — Mary-Kate Olsen, (search) the brunette half of the Olsen twins entertainment empire, has entered a treatment facility "to seek professional help for a health-related issue," her publicist said Tuesday.
Us Weekly and People magazines reported that Olsen has an eating disorder (search) and entered the unidentified treatment center during the past few days.
Olsen's publicist, Michael Pagnotta, would not comment on those reports.
Us Weekly said Olsen is anorexic (search).
Mary-Kate and her sister, Ashley, turned 18 on June 13. They recently graduated from high school and plan to attend New York University in the fall.
They've been acting together since they were 9 months old, most notably on the sitcom "Full House" and in a series of direct-to-video movies. They've also attached their names to a line of products ranging from clothing to beauty items to home decorating merchandise.
Their big-screen debut, "New York Minute," (search) did poorly at the box office after its May release.
RTJas :D

bigpapasean
06-22-2004, 02:49 PM
I was just thinking the other day that they were starting to look like the Barbie twins just with no silicone all sucked up. It’s sad to see

Bre
06-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
She needs to eat more meat. :D
You sick sick man:eek: :D ;)
That is sad to see. Seems like there is too much pressure on famous people to be skinny.

bigpapasean
06-22-2004, 02:57 PM
The bad part of this is all the little girls how want to be like them

RiverToysJas
06-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bre
.... Seems like there is too much pressure on famous people to be skinny.
Not just famous people caving into that pressure!
Although, judging by what I've seen around the sandbar lately, not everyone has given in yet. :eek: :D

1stepcloser
06-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bre
You sick sick man:eek: :D ;)
That is sad to see. Seems like there is too much pressure on famous people to be skinny.
That is indeed very sad.
Anorexia is an awful, misunderstood disease that kills too many of our youth.
I wish her all the best, and hope she recovers from this.:(

Bre
06-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Not just famous people caving into that pressure!
Although, judging by what I've seen around the sandbar lately, not everyone has given in yet. :eek: :D
It's just sad. Don't see how she couldn't have gotten help sooner..I'm sure someone had to of known. I wonder if her sister is too:confused:

RiverToysJas
06-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Anorexia is an awful, misunderstood disease that kills too many of our youth.
Here's some interesting info along those lines....
Three percent of adolescent and adult women and 1% of men have anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge-eating disorder.
A young woman with anorexia is 12 times more likely to die than other women her age without anorexia.
Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder are diseases that affect the mind and body simultaneously.
About half of those with anorexia or bulimia have a full recovery, 30% have a partial recovery, and 20% have no substantial improvement.
Forty percent of fourth graders report that they diet either "very often" or "sometimes."
More than 5 million Americans experience eating disorders.
In the United States, conservative estimates indicate that after puberty, 5-10 million girls and women and 1 million boys and men are struggling with eating disorders including anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, or borderline conditions.
Between 10% and 15% of those diagnosed with bulimia nervosa are men.
Fifteen percent of young women have substantially disordered eating attitudes and behaviors.
Approximately 90-95% of anorexia nervosa sufferers are girls and women.
Approximately 80% of bulimia nervosa patients are female.
Anorexia nervosa is one of the most common psychiatric diagnoses in young women.
Between 1-2% of American women suffer from anorexia nervosa.
Bulimia nervosa affects 1-3% of middle and high school girls and 1-4% of college age women.
Anorexia nervosa typically appears in early to mid-adolescence.

1stepcloser
06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Bre
It's just sad. Don't see how she couldn't have gotten help sooner..I'm sure someone had to of known. I wonder if her sister is too:confused:
It's very difficult to make the person understand they have a problem. They hide their appearance, and will constantly view themselves as "fat" and often will focus on a single area on their body (their butt, arms, thighs, etc) as a standout area of excessive weight.
Kind of like an addiction, in that the affected individual wont admit to having a problem.
An "intervention" is usually required.

CEO
06-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
It's very difficult to make the person understand they have a problem. They hide their appearance, and will constantly view themselves as "fat" and often will focus on a single area on their body (their butt, arms, thighs, etc) as a standout area of excessive weight.
Kind of like an addiction, in that the affected individual wont admit to having a problem.
An "intervention" is usually required.
Ok, "I am Fat" !! Wow, that felt good

Froggystyle
06-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Mary-Kate Olsen Treated for Eating Disorder
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
http://www.foxnews.com/images/129105/1_21_olsen_marykate.jpg
Us Weekly said Olsen is anorexic (search).
She can read minds?

leibniz
06-22-2004, 04:08 PM
When I look at the Olson twins, I don't see anorexia.
Anorexia looks more like this:

Phat Matt
06-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by leibniz
When I look at the Olson twins, I don't see anorexia.
Me either. I see this...
http://www.nodownelpaso.com/money2.jpg
...as a weekly allowance. :p