PDA

View Full Version : Noise Laws

floatnturd
04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I am just finishing my rebuild, so i have not been to the river in 2yr. I need some info on the noise laws, should I be worried about it or is it all hype that I read? I have an 18ft jet with a blown 496, I run over trans. water inject. Should I convert to tru trans? or just use baffles. I like to go to havasu, but that was 2 years ago, and I have been told thats not the place for my size boat anymore. So I need some real stories about the laws and police and some new spots to go. Good to be back.....

Squirtin Thunder
04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
The Laws (http://www.cpperformance.com/TechTips/state_noise_laws.htm)

LVjetboy
04-05-2006, 02:19 AM
I usually jet boat Mead, "The River", Havasu, Mohave, and Powell. A few lakes in CA if I have to. Mostly Nevada, then Arizona and a bit of Utah... state noise laws vary. So far I've been checked once by "the law" for mufflers in the parking lot at Mead. I had them, they relented.
But trust me, I choose to avoid "the law" if at all possible. If not then appease with the appearance of complying, in other words some sort of muffler. And all safey equipment aboard. I'm sure they could nail me with a db test. Hell, they could nail me with any other follow-up test they choose. After all, insurance companies have already labeled my jet as a reckless endangerment to society. Do not insure! That proves I'm a threat no matter what.
So I feel blessed to even have the opportunity to float this near pirate ship on any of our hallowed, well-regulated and over-restricted water ways as I have floated them safely for more than 30 years.
The restriction of performance mufflers is a small price to pay to avoid stupid laws and even stupider johnny law. Just stay a moving target. Boat weekdays. Avoid trouble spots.
jer

Squirtcha?
04-05-2006, 04:07 AM
The Laws (http://www.cpperformance.com/TechTips/state_noise_laws.htm)
I think he's looking for the practical real world deal as opposed
to the written (mostly unenforced) law Jim.
Arizona shows up as 86 db, but the truth is I've been running
open headers on mine for 10 years or so. I have operated on
almost every navigable waterway in the state (save for Powell).
I've only been stopped for noise one time and it turned out
the officer (Maricopa County Sheriff) just wanted a closer look
a the boat (no ticket). He asked me why it didn't steam at idle
and I explained it to him, probably in more detail than he cared
to hear. We shot the stuff for a few he looked the boat over
and let me go.
So, although the law is in place I think you'll find that most
places don't enforce it. I have heard that the docks by the
Nautical (Havasu) won't let you in if you have open headers (unsubstantiated).

spudsgarage
04-05-2006, 06:29 AM
I think he's looking for the practical real world deal as opposed to the written (mostly unenforced) law Jim.
Arizona shows up as 86 db, but the truth is I've been running open headers on mine for 10 years or so. I have operated on almost every navigable waterway in the state (save for Powell). I've only been stopped for noise one time and it turned out the officer (Maricopa County Sheriff) just wanted a closer look a the boat (no ticket). He asked me why it didn't steam at idle and I explained it to him, probably in more detail than he cared to hear. We shot the stuff for a few he looked the boat over and let me go.
So, although the law is in place I think you'll find that most places don't enforce it. I have heard that the docks by the Nautical (Havasu) won't let you in if you have open headers (unsubstantiated).
I dunked my jet in @ the Marina Docks near the Nautical just this past weekend. When I entered, I was asked if I had been tested, I said tested for what, The answer was noise. I was told they would meet me @ the ramp, while I was waiting, they tested another guy, he failed and had to pull her out. I was next, I knew I would be ok with their 86db limit, in fact, I tested @ 69db. The test is done @ idle while in the water. Bottom line, they do test @ the Marina but not sure if they turn you away @ the gate with open Headers. http://www.hotautoweb.com/images26/IMG_4989.jpg

h2oboy
04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I think if you have a set of muffs with you just incase you need to slap them on you should be ok.... I know I picked up a pair for mine and carry them under the seat incase I have to slap them on... I refuse to cut holes in my transom....
Just be aware that there are laws trying to stop us, but if you are ready to counter act those laws then you should be ok... Mufflers are a cheep insurance that you will be able to go down the ramp, instead of turning back home...

diggler
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Here's a picture of mine with slip on mufflers on the headers. The only problem with them is:
1. They'll never get me within the decibal limit. However, the police leave me alone as it's obvious I made an effort.
2. The high vibration, high heat, made it a bear to keep them bolted on. Nylocks were out of the question. I ended up using locking bolts from ARP that are "oval" shaped bolts and lock on with a simple flat washer.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142DSC00498.JPG

SHIFTY
04-05-2006, 09:22 AM
I BELEIVE THERE HAS TO BE A RADIUS OF "X" AMOUNT OF FLAT LAND (NO BUILDINGS, HOUSES, MOUNTAINS, CANYONS, ETC) FOR THERE TO BE A PROPER DECIBEL READING. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN MOST MARINAS DON't MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS...

Racer277
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I BELEIVE THERE HAS TO BE A RADIUS OF "X" AMOUNT OF FLAT LAND (NO BUILDINGS, HOUSES, MOUNTAINS, CANYONS, ETC) FOR THERE TO BE A PROPER DECIBEL READING. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN MOST MARINAS DON't MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS...
By law that's correct.
However, at the LHMarina, they'll still turn you away based on their test.
From what I've seen at the Nautical, they'll give you dirty looks, but you're already launched by then...
Site Six, no one around, but the cops are on the lake once you've launched...

SHIFTY
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Is Lh Marina Privately Owned?

Racer277
04-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Is Lh Marina Privately Owned?
That's a can of worms bud...
Do a search.
Privately owned, on Fed land...They are enforcing their own standards for length and noise.
Many people on here have been turned away.
It's a whole nother Oprah...

SHIFTY
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
PRIVATELY OWNED, ON FEDERAL LAND. IF THE FEDS DON't HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LH's POLICIES, THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.
HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE TICKETED FOR SOUND, AND THERE IS ANOTHER BOAT RUNNING, BUILDING, HOUSE, COVE, HILL, KIDS PLAYING, ETC.; WITHIN A HALF MILE... YOU CAN FIGHT IT AND WIN.

Racer277
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
PRIVATELY OWNED, ON FEDERAL LAND. IF THE FEDS DON't HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LH's POLICIES, THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.
HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE TICKETED FOR SOUND, AND THERE IS ANOTHER BOAT RUNNING, BUILDING, HOUSE, COVE, HILL, KIDS PLAYING, ETC.; WITHIN A HALF MILE... YOU CAN FIGHT IT AND WIN.
LHMarina doesn't ticket you, they just won't let you launch (and won't return the money you just paid to launch)...

SHIFTY
04-05-2006, 09:59 AM
LHMarina doesn't ticket you, they just won't let you launch (and won't return the money you just paid to launch)...
IF THAT IS POSTED SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE "PAY AREA", THEY DON't HAVE TO RETURN ANY MONIES PAID TO ENTER.
REGARDING THE TICKETS, I WAS REFERRING TO GETTING STOPPED AND SOUND CHECKED ON THE WATER. ALSO, ANY OFFICER CONDUCTING A SOUND CHECK HAS TO BE CERTIFIED TO DO SO. I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO FIND OUT HOW MANY TICKETS WERE ISSUED BY 'UNCERTIFIED' OFFICERS.

floatnturd
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
what about different spots south of parker. Im not a big parker fan. I hear alot of jets are going south cause the boats at havasu are too many and to big, is this true?

Boatcop
04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I'll give you "Real World" for Parker.
If you run open headers or zoomies (no water, no mufflers/inserts) you'll get ticketed and sent back to the beach. Switchable mufflers (Silent choice - or solendoid operated water) run in the "open" position will also get ticketed.
The law says 86 db at 50 feet. We're extremely flexible on that. Mid 90s will get you noticed. High 90s and up will get cited.
Bottom line is, if you're trying to keep it down and making an attempt to muffle the exhaust, you're usually good to go. If all you're doing is making noise for noise's sake, you'll get an invite to see the Judge and have the boat sitting on the trailer for the reat of the trip.

sleekcrafter
04-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Hope the Banderlog water Solenoid's are not considered a switchable Exhaust. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Sleek

Boatcop
04-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Hope the Banderlog water Solenoid's are not considered a switchable Exhaust. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Sleek
The mufflers have to be "in constant operation", so while the solenoids or Silent choice are not, in themsleves, illegal, running them open is.

77charger
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I'll give you "Real World" for Parker.
If you run open headers or zoomies (no water, no mufflers/inserts) you'll get ticketed and sent back to the beach. Switchable mufflers (Silent choice - or solendoid operated water) run in the "open" position will also get ticketed.
The law says 86 db at 50 feet. We're extremely flexible on that. Mid 90s will get you noticed. High 90s and up will get cited.
Bottom line is, if you're trying to keep it down and making an attempt to muffle the exhaust, you're usually good to go. If all you're doing is making noise for noise's sake, you'll get an invite to see the Judge and have the boat sitting on the trailer for the reat of the trip.
sounds like it is all about makin an effort to muffle boat down.Even though an older jet or flat cant really be quited down to a "legal" level.

floatnturd
04-05-2006, 05:25 PM
so what company makes a good muffler for over the trans headers? and is it worth the money to just switch to thru.trans, so the headers are not so noticable and not make so much noise because the exit holes would be underwater at idle?

bergen
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
i live in the sacramento, ca, area, and we have the delta which is hundreds of miles of water ways, i have a freind that has a bad ass boat which he runs on alcohol and he has zoomies, he showed me in a international water ways law book about what is legal and what is not, since the delta waterways do end in the ocean at some point noise laws due not pertain to the delta according to maratime law.
(sorry about spelling) bergen

Boatcop
04-05-2006, 05:55 PM
i live in the sacramento, ca, area, and we have the delta which is hundreds of miles of water ways, i have a freind that has a bad ass boat which he runs on alcohol and he has zoomies, he showed me in a international water ways law book about what is legal and what is not, since the delta waterways do end in the ocean at some point noise laws due not pertain to the delta according to maratime law.
(sorry about spelling) bergen
Not true.
Although Federal Law does not address noise or muffler issues, States have the right and ability to enact and enforce their own laws on their waterways. It doesn't matter where the waterway starts or ends. And California waterways include all waters that are within the State's exterior borders and out to 3 miles off-shore.
I'd like to see they look on the Judges face when someone tried to use International law as a defense to a State violation.
And for the record, the International Navigation Rules end at the line of demarcation for that partiular waterway. For the Sac Delta, it's at a point where the waterway's opening to the sea is less than 2 miles in width. That point is where the Sacramento River empties into San Francisco Bay.

floatnturd
04-05-2006, 06:05 PM
hey, Boatcop what do you like to drink? I'll send ya case if you turn blind eye to me out on the river, or a deft ear......

W.O.T
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
straight headers will definitely attract a little more attention than anything else. if you want to stay or try to stay out of trouble i would run the baffles at least. nobody wants to much attention directed towards them from the law. i usually boat on the lower colorado river and local lakes. straight headers will usually interrupt your day of fun on the launch ramp at the lakes. i plan on running baffles on my next boat. that and a little common courtesy will go along way

BigBlockBaja
04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
hey, Boatcop what do you like to drink? I'll send ya case if you turn blind eye to me out on the river, or a deft ear......
I dont know what worse... Bribing an officer of the law or doing so and offering him alcohol....
:idea: :idea:

Squirtcha?
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
hey, Boatcop what do you like to drink?
I'll send ya case if you turn blind eye to me out on the river,
or a deft ear......
Hmmn that almost sounds like a bribe? :squiggle:

Fast Freddy
04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
with my jetboat i have been DB'd at 103 decibles on apache lake as i blew past the game & fish officers boat with the nitrous flowin at 80+ mph right in front of burnt corral. it was right after sunset and it was gettin dark. he chased me down with the lights flashin and gave me a ticket. seems like it cost me close to $200 if i remember correctly. got a ticket on saguaro lake one time too. got a warning on canyon lake one time when i was blastin right in front of the marina and the sheriff threatened to throw me off the lake and never let me come back. the officer was so mad at me that as he was yellin at me his face was turning red and the veins were poppin out of his neck, lol. he says he hates boats like mine. he said they are to loud, fast and obnoxious. unbelievably after all that he did not throw me off the lake or even write me a ticket, lol.
i take my jet to the lake only on weekdays now and never have any problems anymore as there simply is no enforcement around. also the water is much flater on weekdays which is a nice perk. if you really have it bad do your boating on san carlos lake on the apache indian reservation. when i feel the need to take my jet to a lake on the weekend this is the lake i go to. no cops, no game & fish ever. the indians don't give a **** and neither do i. you can put a keg of budweiser on your boat and fish with dynamite on that lake. here is pic of me and my disciples lettin it all hang out on san carlos lake.

floatnturd
04-05-2006, 06:28 PM
hey I saw the movie "training Day", and I watch "The Shield" ya never know. :220v:

bergen
04-05-2006, 06:54 PM
hey boat cop, i respect your point of veiw on our ca water ways, can you tell me how many boat cops patrol the 1000 + miles of our ca, delta water ways, well if you guess 3, yes 3 cops for 1000+ miles of water ways you would be correct, so regardless of who is correct on the noise issues in ca on the delta, chances of being ticketed for noise are slim to none, of the many years boating on the delta i have seen the patrol boats maybe 3 times and noise is not high on their list for offenders, dui is their main issue on the delta,
stay cool in az.
bergen

Boatcop
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
The only thing stronger than Ice Tea (not the Long Island kind) that I drink is my morning espresso.
But hell. I've been doing this so long I could tell an illegal boat even if I was blind and deaf. :crossx:
And unfortunately, I've also been doing this so long I've lost some hearing from boat noise and some eyesight from the sun. :hammer2:

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
And unfortunately, I've also been doing this so long I've lost some hearing from boat noise and some eyesight from the sun. :hammer2:
Those are the best kind of BoatCops to have on the water.

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
If your boat is load it sould be raced, if you are done in the Parker area you may think of running in the Nostalgia Jet Class on the 22nd of April.

robk
04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
So... where does a mostly stock 455 with logs and thru-transom exhaust fall in this discussion? I'm not trying to be loud, am I going to get picked on?
Rob

h2oboy
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I can see the cops points, but at some point they are going to have to make a law for all the damn Wakeboard boats that just circle and make huge wakes for us....
My boat may be loud, but come on I am just going to the sand bar to drink anyways... leave me alone!! ha

SHIFTY
04-06-2006, 10:18 AM
So... where does a mostly stock 455 with logs and thru-transom exhaust fall in this discussion? I'm not trying to be loud, am I going to get picked on?
Rob
HOW ABOUT A BBC 496 TWIN TURBO. TOO LOUD? DO I HAVE TO RUN SOME SHITTY BAFFLE ON MY EXHAUST EXITS?

Jetdriver
04-06-2006, 10:25 AM
HOW ABOUT A BBC 496 TWIN TURBO. TOO LOUD? DO I HAVE TO RUN SOME SHITTY BAFFLE ON MY EXHAUST EXITS?
Your shit will be fine since its running through a turbo!

floatnturd
04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I have talked to some people and they said its kind of a hit or miss w/ the cops. if you blow right buy them you will get stopped if you are real loud, or if you have over trans like mine they will be looking for you, so im going to put some big ass slip-ons on my pipes so atleast it looks like I tried to do something to quiet them down. This crap sucks, I love the sound of an open header boat. Is there anything that is being done to get the law repealed. I want to do something.

LVjetboy
04-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Repeal a noise law? I'm thinking that's as likely as raising the BAC back to .1 Sorta like pushing a rope. If I remember right, repeal's a violation of some universal law the says all things must end up in a more complex and over-regulated state. Otherwise who knows? Mass hysteria in the streets. Cats and dogs, maybe even goats living together. Is that what you want?
jer

Boatcop
04-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Rob
You just described my boat. :)
No, I've never seen any issues on boats with logs and thru-transoms. The logs, and the way the water is run thru them do an excellent job of muffling. The next time I'm on the water (not working) I'll have my guys run a test on mine, just to see where it's at.

Boatcop
04-07-2006, 05:44 AM
I love the sound of an open header boat. Is there anything that is being done to get the law repealed. I want to do something.
I love the sound of race cars and dragsters too.
But do you want them running down the street in front of your house at all hours?

Squirtin Thunder
04-07-2006, 06:33 AM
You just described my boat. :)
No, I've never seen any issues on boats with logs and thru-transoms. The logs, and the way the water is run thru them do an excellent job of muffling. The next time I'm on the water (not working) I'll have my guys run a test on mine, just to see where it's at.
My father got hit up at Clear Lake, he had a little 302 Ford, Nicson logs and risers and threw the transum. They told him he had to run more water threw it or get off the Lake. it was at 98dbs 100' -75'. This has only happend once.

superdave013
04-07-2006, 06:52 AM
I think if you have a set of muffs with you just incase you need to slap them on you should be ok.... I know I picked up a pair for mine and carry them under the seat incase I have to slap them on... I refuse to cut holes in my transom....
If I was the cop I would look at that as a slap in my face and you would get the ticket for sure.

Cas
04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
hey boat cop, i respect your point of veiw on our ca water ways, can you tell me how many boat cops patrol the 1000 + miles of our ca, delta water ways, well if you guess 3, yes 3 cops for 1000+ miles of water ways you would be correct, so regardless of who is correct on the noise issues in ca on the delta, chances of being ticketed for noise are slim to none, of the many years boating on the delta i have seen the patrol boats maybe 3 times and noise is not high on their list for offenders, dui is their main issue on the delta,
stay cool in az.
bergen
Bergen,
I've spent many many years boating the Delta....since about 1978 or so. I've seen people ticketed for many things and excessive noise is one of them. As far as the amount of Sherrifs and or USCG that are patrolling, you're right. There aren't too many of them out on the Delta just because it is so massive and there are some pretty remote places to run a boat with open headers. The thing is though, just because it's remote doesn't make it legal and sooner or later your buddy might get a ticket or at least a warning.
Most of the officer's I'm spoken to on the Delta and a couple of other lakes here in NorCal are more concerned about the excessive noise from the boom boom roll bar boat stereos. A couple of the officers mentioned they've seen more fights break out with a couple of boats sitting in a cove. One turns up their stereo and then the other. One gets pissed because he doesn't like the kind of music the other is playing and bingo, a fight. A lot of the other officers mentioned that if a person is making an attempt to baffle down, they'll usually cut them a break. One officer at Lake Sonoma said that if anyone is breaking the law in any way, they will get ticketed and kicked off "his lake".
As far as appealing the law, I doubt it would fly, it's been in place since the 70's. The difference now is they've come up with a better way to enforce it.

77 Apollo
04-07-2006, 09:39 AM
anyone run in arkansas?
just put headers on mine and spend most of my time on ark lakes
i see the law doesn't required them there
i wonder if the boat police would still pull me over even though?

thriller
04-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Was cruisin thru the forum and noticed this discussion about all the issues you are facing on the noise issue so just thought I would chime in here.A friend of mine has developed and patented a new muffler design for use initally in Bassett "long tube" headers.I will be handling potential marine sales for this product.Our muffler has been proven to provide no horsepower or torque losses and some dyno tests have actually shown horsepower and torque increases as compared to no mufflers at all.(It seems that the wilder the cam the better the increase)I was skepical when my friend first told me of this but after providing his first test subject "my Rogers Bonneville jet boat" the product quickly made me a believer! After 3 seasons of testing the product in my Bassetts (long tube) (mufflers are currently too long for shortys) I loose ZERO rpm at top end VS no mufflers at all!! Now to the noise issue the mufflers had a drastic effect on audible noise from inside the boat but we have not performed any testing outside the boat as all states have their own noise laws and ways to measure it so rather than develop a product for each state or region we will offer initially 1 product only which can be modified by the user (caps on or off) depending if he is involved with sanctioned racing.A set is currently being tested my a marine dealer in California and we hope to have feedback on noise and performance tests within 30 days.If any of you are interested let me know your email address and and I will keep you updated. Brock (brock@torlex.com)

boater012
04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I love the sound of race cars and dragsters too.
But do you want them running down the street in front of your house at all hours?
Hey boatcop I have respect for you but I can't see the connection between a jet boat out on an open lake and someone racing Sterling Marlins cup car down my street next to John Force' Dragster at as you say "all hours of the night" I think if thats the position of the police then thats why we get hassled over something silly like making noise with a boat!!!!!
Do they give harleys tickets for being too loud??? The answer is NO if they came with open pipes then they are grandfathered in. Ive seen new bikes with no pipes and the guys never get hassled.
Again my opinion not meant to be disrespectful but wouldn't it seem more important to be hassling the 7 teenagers who just rented a wake board boat and each one carrys on a whole case of beer????????
Ive been at the river and seen this with my own eyes!! And thirty feet away from this the cops have got some guy in a jetboat pulled over and they are performing a noise test on his boat. What gives??????

77468sleekcraft
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
They make baffles,,,,,hahaha No just kidding I have a set nicely collecting dust in the closet,I have been tested a couple times but they didnt do anything,besides I own property on my favorite waterway so I guess they probably just dont mess with me...
My favorite thing I did was when the police asked if I they had my permission to put up no wake zone bueys near the shore in front of my place I said sure but dont think that I am not going to buzz my place or shoot unsuspecting partygoers on the front of my place with a little taste test of blue lake water....THEY JUST LAUGHED AND SAID OK .... :)