PDA

View Full Version : Registration in Az,What are the benefits

Slider
06-22-2004, 03:50 PM
REG IN CALIF OR AZ ?

ryantparks
06-22-2004, 03:58 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Az. is the way to go!

welk2party
06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
What is the best way to change from CA to AZ? Is Nevada just as good?

jbtrailerjim
06-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Tag's are more expensive in Az. for non residents' but you won't have to pay for the California property tax on your boat. I'll never register another boat in California again.

Slider
06-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Whats the property tax ( % ) on a new boat every year?

Slider
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
In California

Advantage Adam
06-22-2004, 04:34 PM
it is 1% of the value of the boat. My first boat was registered in CA. THe boat was $32,000 and the property tax was $320.

RiverToysJas
06-22-2004, 04:36 PM
If you're boat is not worth a lot, it's far better to register in Ca. The average 18-19', 20-30yo jet boat is money way ahead here. New boats, it's better to go with AZ or NV, and avoid the property tax.
If you use the boat in Az more than 50% of the time, they want you to register it in their state.
RTJas :D

Slider
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
So you can save a few bucks.Thanks

ryantparks
06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
2002 ultra stealth value approx. $32k costs me $86 in Az and thats with the non-residence fee so it is mailed to me directly at my home here in Ca. I also didnt have to pay any sales tax since I purcahsed in Ca from a private party and then went and registered it right away in Az.

cheezpanel
06-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Tag's are more expensive in Az. for non residents' but you won't have to pay for the California property tax on your boat. I'll never register another boat in California again.
Yep. Nothing pisses me off more than this "luxury" tax you pay in CA. Registering in AZ is the only way to go

RiverToysJas
06-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by cheezpanel
Yep. Nothing pisses me off more than this "luxury" tax you pay in CA. Registering in AZ is the only way to go
In the case of boats, it's not a "luxury tax", it's "unsecured property tax". ;) - Meaning....
All property that is not real property is considered personal property and therefore are issued an Unsecured tax bill. There are several types including, Business fixtures, Business Personal Property, Boats, Aircraft. Supplemental Escape and Pro-Rated Escape Taxes on real property that has changed ownership prior to issuance of the tax bill.

FRENCHIE
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
yep i agree! almost $70 g boat brand new, about $125 in az!;) only way to go!

dicudmore
06-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
yep i agree! almost $70 g boat brand new, about $125 in az!;) only way to go!
me too, $119 I think it was....
I think the "tax" in CA was going to be over $1,000 from what my friends are paying with similar priced boats.....

Havasu_Dreamin
06-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
If you use the boat in Az more than 50% of the time, they want you to register it in their state.
Not to get technical but the letter of the law also states it needs to be in the state of registration on the first of every year I believe.

dicudmore
06-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Not to get technical but the letter of the law also states it needs to be in the state of registration on the first of every year I believe.
damn, I have to go to havasu for new years, I'm crushed :D
You are correct as far as assessment etc go, you could be screwed if you get assessed on jan 1 and your AZ boat is in your CA driveway

mtndewdrops
06-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I have my boat in my garage in Havasu 100% of the time. I still pay the non-resident fee, since I do not live there full time. Am I wasting my money? Technically I don't qualify.:(

Essex502
06-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Slider...do a search on this board for registration and AZ. There is a wealth of information and the legal requirements for moving registration from one state to another.

ryantparks
06-23-2004, 07:00 AM
I forgot to say that I also have the boat reg. in Az. and the trailer reg. in Ca. so I dont get pulled over in Ca if I bring the boat home sometimes.

Scream
06-23-2004, 07:01 AM
You cannot escape personal property taxes by registering in AZ...UNLESS you also store your boat out of state.
San Bernardino County can and will assess property taxes on any vessel stored in it's jurisdiction regardless of it's state of registration.
I registered my boat in AZ, much cheaper, in hopes of staving off my property taxes for a while. They will catch up to me some where down the road, but hopefully not right away, saving me thousands in the process...and I don't think I've heard that you need to have your boat in the state of registration on Jan 1 of the year, but I could be wrong here...
Scream
BTW, my trailer is registered in CA. Something about the trailer being a motor vehicle that needs to be registered in the state of the owner, not the state of use...

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Scream
You cannot escape personal property taxes by registering in AZ...UNLESS you also store your boat out of state.
San Bernardino County can and will assess property taxes on any vessel stored in it's jurisdiction regardless of it's state of registration.
I registered my boat in AZ, much cheaper, in hopes of staving off my property taxes for a while. They will catch up to me some where down the road, but hopefully not right away, saving me thousands in the process...and I don't think I've heard that you need to have your boat in the state of registration on Jan 1 of the year, but I could be wrong here...
Scream
BTW, my trailer is registered in CA. Something about the trailer being a motor vehicle that needs to be registered in the state of the owner, not the state of use...
You're right Matt....but if they don't come looking then you're in good shape ;)
My AZ boat and AZ trailer are known to spend the occasional night at my CA house....

Essex502
06-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Scream
Scream...allowed by CA law and at least for L.A. County and Orange County you must have your boat out of state on January 1 of any tax year.
http://www.ocgov.com/assessor/faq.asp#BA (See this)

Slider
06-23-2004, 07:47 AM
SO I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO SPEND NEW YEARS IN LAUGHLIN.Thanks for the advice

RiverToysJas
06-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Good point, but I thought that was before out of state registration was allowed in Az (which only started a few years ago, from what I was told), but I could be very wrong. I think it's Boatcop who's posted about the 50 or maybe 75% of the time use thing.
Trailers must be registered in Ca, if they are being pulled by a Ca registered vehicle. CHP will get you for that one.
Scream is right, you can only legally avoid the Ca Personal Property tax if you also store the boat out of state. That's why there's no benefit to switching to AZ registration, once CA knows you have it. You have to start it from there right from when the first numbers are issued. Otherwise it's a pain in the azz to convince the state that you don't have it here. Unless you actualy don't. ;)

Slider
06-23-2004, 08:09 AM
So if you register it when it's "NEW" then you have a less likley chance of getting slamed by california property tax bill later down the road

Essex502
06-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Actually, if you do store it outside CA and use it more more than 50% outside CA it benefits you to register it outside of CA. I did this and save $500+ the first year.
It's a Coast Guard regulation, I believe, that requires you to register the boat in the state of primary use - i.e. greater than 50% usage. Anywhere along the Colorado River qualifies since it separates the states.
Again, if you're a CA resident (as defined by having a CA driver's license) you MUST register the trailer in CA.

jbtrailerjim
06-23-2004, 08:25 AM
I've never had a problem storeing my boat in Ca. and registering it in Az. My old boat that I bought new was registered in Ca for the first two years I owned it. I switched the boat registration to Az. as non-resident and I never recieved another property tax bill again for the last six years I owned it. The new boat I registered in Az. right from the start.

IN2MX
06-23-2004, 08:30 AM
I purchased my boat used used in California from a private seller but I financed it thru Essex Financial. Its a 2001 Stealth and I have owned it for 2 years now. It has always been registered in California, both the boat and the trailer. I had to pay PT Fees for the trailer but when the registration came up for the boat, I got the 2005 sticker for only $10.00.
I have always heard about this "Luxury / Property" tax, but have yet to get a notice / bill.
Am I just lucky or should I be expecting a huge bill someday?
My friend told me that maybe it has to do with me not being a home owner? Does that have anything to do with it?

Excessive Force
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Just wondering if park rangers give anyone, with Az. registered boats, a hassle when you try to use california state parks lakes.

Huckleberry
06-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Actually, if you do store it outside CA and use it more more than 50% outside CA it benefits you to register it outside of CA. I did this and save $500+ the first year.
It's a Coast Guard regulation, I believe, that requires you to register the boat in the state of primary use - i.e. greater than 50% usage. Anywhere along the Colorado River qualifies since it separates the states.
Again, if you're a CA resident (as defined by having a CA driver's license) you MUST register the trailer in CA.
Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner here! This is the exact truth of the law.

Slider
06-23-2004, 03:24 PM
THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE,I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DRIVE TO KINGMAN AZ ON THE 1st OF JULY TO REGISTER IT SO I CAN BE ON THE LAKE THIS 4th.TAKES 30 DAYS BY MAIL.

Doug H.
06-23-2004, 11:22 PM
I have a 88 21ft. Commander open bow jet, i just registered it with the fish and game dep. today and it was $ 14 total. I about shit my shorts and wanted to kiss the young pisky whipper snapper. He gave me new #'s and everything. I just moved to Kingman Az. over the last weekend from Lancaster Ca. and am loving every moment of the benefits this state has over Cal.

Essex502
06-24-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I've never had a problem storeing my boat in Ca. and registering it in Az. My old boat that I bought new was registered in Ca for the first two years I owned it. I switched the boat registration to Az. as non-resident and I never recieved another property tax bill again for the last six years I owned it. The new boat I registered in Az. right from the start.
Be aware that you're breaking the law and if caught can be held liable for the property tax bills back to when it was last registered in CA and the last time paid property tax. The counties sometimes send inspectors to storage facilities, launch ramps and marinas in CA to check for boats with out of state registration attached to vehicles with CA registration. If you store the boat on your property and covered you probably will get away with it. But then again...you probably can go into a market and put something into your pocket when nobody is looking and steal it too.

Essex502
06-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by IN2MX
I purchased my boat used used in California from a private seller but I financed it thru Essex Financial. Its a 2001 Stealth and I have owned it for 2 years now. It has always been registered in California, both the boat and the trailer. I had to pay PT Fees for the trailer but when the registration came up for the boat, I got the 2005 sticker for only $10.00.
I have always heard about this "Luxury / Property" tax, but have yet to get a notice / bill.
Am I just lucky or should I be expecting a huge bill someday?
My friend told me that maybe it has to do with me not being a home owner? Does that have anything to do with it?
Lucky so far... it took the county of Los Angeles almost a year to send me my first property tax bill on our boat...purchased new from the manufacturer in May of 2000 and received the first bill from the county in 2001. Last bill I paid...got the boat out of CA and registered in AZ in November of 2001.

Essex502
06-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Doug H.
I have a 88 21ft. Commander open bow jet, i just registered it with the fish and game dep. today and it was $ 14 total. I about shit my shorts and wanted to kiss the young pisky whipper snapper. He gave me new #'s and everything. I just moved to Kingman Az. over the last weekend from Lancaster Ca. and am loving every moment of the benefits this state has over Cal.
Good for you, amigo! I'm planning on retiring within the next 5 years and plan to do it in LHC!

FRENCHIE
06-24-2004, 07:15 AM
must be nice!!:p

Essex502
06-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
must be nice!!:p
I've worked long enough and commuted to the office way, way too much....I want to change my commute from the house in LHC to the lake and back.

dicudmore
06-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I've worked long enough and commuted to the office way, way too much....I want to change my commute from the house in LHC to the lake and back.
sounds like a great commute to me :D

Lacolaw
06-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Has anyone ever heard of a one time non-resident fee for registering a boat in AZ.
I just purchased a new boat and wanted to register it in AZ. When I signed the loan papers they made a mistake and had the fees for CA included.
I had them change it to AZ but rather than change the contract I said I would just pay the difference. I was told that AZ charges a one time fee of $450 for out of state residents in addition to the $118 reg fee.
Has anyone else heard of this? When I got my registration in the mail it has no indication of the $450 fee.

dicudmore
06-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Lacolaw
Has anyone ever heard of a one time non-resident fee for registering a boat in AZ.
I just purchased a new boat and wanted to register it in AZ. When I signed the loan papers they made a mistake and had the fees for CA included.
I had them change it to AZ but rather than change the contract I said I would just pay the difference. I was told that AZ charges a one time fee of $450 for out of state residents in addition to the $118 reg fee.
Has anyone else heard of this? When I got my registration in the mail it has no indication of the $450 fee.
I've never heard of this fee....

Slider
06-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Go and get your $450.00 back .No such fee

Essex502
06-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Lacolaw
Sounds like your boat builder or dealer is screwing you for the task fo registering it out of state. DEMAND your money back.

Slider
06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Yep

TRIMM MANN
06-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mtndewdrops
I have my boat in my garage in Havasu 100% of the time. I still pay the non-resident fee, since I do not live there full time. Am I wasting my money? Technically I don't qualify.:(
My boat is in Havasu 100% of the time but I don't pay the non-resident fee.
There is no reason to. Just give them your Havasu address for a mailing address and they don't say a word I have been doing it forever.

welk2party
06-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Just got my property tax bill. I gots to change registration pronto.

Slider
06-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Good luck in trying.Once they get their hooks in you they will never let go it seems

phebus
06-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TRIMM MANN
My boat is in Havasu 100% of the time but I don't pay the non-resident fee.
There is no reason to. Just give them your Havasu address for a mailing address and they don't say a word I have been doing it forever.
When I asked about it the first time I registered there, they told me they looked at the tax rolls, and you had to pay your state taxes in Arizona to qualify as a "resident". We own a home there but with their definition of resident, didn't qualify, so registered as a resident/non-resident. Big mistake. Just tell them you live there full time, and let them tell you that you don't. I have friends (with residences there) that have registered as residents since day one without living there full time.