PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Cove??

Mod VP
06-23-2004, 07:10 AM
What's the launch ramp like at Cottonwood cove?
I have a 31 ft motorhome,it's not the easiest launching vehicle :rolleyes:
Also is that a good place to launch with a small 19 foot boat,as far as a smooth part of the lake? I'll be staying at Needles 6-25 through 7-4,so a weekday trip is what I'm planning on.
Thanks...:D

hd&boatrider
06-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Mod VP
What's the launch ramp like at Cottonwood cove?
I have a 31 ft motorhome,it's not the easiest launching vehicle :rolleyes:
Also is that a good place to launch with a small 19 foot boat,as far as a smooth part of the lake? I'll be staying at Needles 6-25 through 7-4,so a weekday trip is what I'm planning on.
Thanks...:D
The ramp is good and you will be OK with the motorhome. You just need to head up lake from there. Be careful as the wind can eat you alive out there if it kicks up. Especially if you head down into the basin area.
Needles...launch from the Needles Marina just on the CA side of the bridge before going into AZ.

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 07:19 AM
HD knows that lake better than the next guy, and I agree with him. Cottonwood area and north you'll have a great time :D

Danhercules
06-23-2004, 07:21 AM
I am not trying to change your mind by any means, but why go to Cottonwood on a weekday. Katherins should be nice and empty during the week.
Just sayin, if you avoiding crouds, ya dont have to do it, if some other reason, I will put my foot in my mouth. ;)

hd&boatrider
06-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
I am not trying to change your mind by any means, but why go to Cottonwood on a weekday. Katherins should be nice and empty during the week.
Just sayin, if you avoiding crouds, ya dont have to do it, if some other reason, I will put my foot in my mouth. ;)
Now that school is out the crowds are a cunmin' :) Will be far less crowds at Cottonwood. Katherines will NOT be empty until after Labor Day or when the kids get back in school. Yes, during the week is less crowded than the weekend but it will still be crowded.

Danhercules
06-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Ok, cool. I did not think of that.

Mod VP
06-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
I've been to Katherines once,and by the time we decided to go up the lake (about 1 or 2:00 the 2-3 foot swells started,we took one over the bow and said we're out of here.Plus waiting in line that long to launch and retrieve was not my idea of relaxation...
:D
We want to see the good part of the lake...
Anyone else going to be there then ?

hd&boatrider
06-23-2004, 08:04 AM
I've been to Katherines once,and by the time we decided to go up the lake (about 1 or 2:00 the 2-3 foot swells started,we took one over the bow and said we're out of here.Plus waiting in line that long to launch and retrieve was not my idea of relaxation...
:D
We want to see the good part of the lake...
Anyone else going to be there then ?
If you had 2-3 foot swells outside of K I can guarantee you that the basin area was 4-5 foot sweels. Now if you go far enough up from Cottonwood you will be good to go, usually. However right outside of CW it can be pretty bad and can take you down...especially in a 19 footer.

Mod VP
06-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
If you had 2-3 foot swells outside of K I can guarantee you that the basin area was 4-5 foot sweels. Now if you go far enough up from Cottonwood you will be good to go, usually. However right outside of CW it can be pretty bad and can take you down...especially in a 19 footer.
Where would you suggest to launch then,is it Willow,and how far is it from Needles Marina?I've only been to Katherines that one time... I really don't want a bad 2nd experience.Or I may get pissed and buy a bigger boat while I'm out there... :wink:
Thanks

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
go ahead and go out of Cottonwood you'll have a great trip...
I'd stay north in a 19 unless you go out early.
The basin (south of cottonwood) can get pretty big but can also be the smoothest water you'll ever see in your life. Can change that quick too :D
If you drive to Willow you will spend all day driving. To get there you basically have to drive to the Hoover dam....

FRENCHIE
06-23-2004, 11:43 AM
he should a bought a SHOCKWAVE!!:p :D

Mod VP
06-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
Hey....at least it is a Laveycraft ...:D

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Frenchie you should see if they're hiring with all the plugging you give them ;)

Flying Tiger
06-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Cottonwood is like launching in the Carribean.
It's like the backround in the Corona Beer commercials ya see on TV.
I took the kids there last year and they though they went to heaven.
It's a bit more busy because Mead is so low, so parking can be a bitch.
Baby Blue 89 degree water,, launch and go north.
Nicest harbor on the entire Colorado river, excellent launchramp that you'll have no problem with.
Though it's rural,,, the LEO's still have on the water DUI checkpoints about 1/4 mile from the ramp from time to time.
Usually when you least expect it.
PWC's are abso****inlutely hated by all there. Totally unwelcome,, and everybody reminds them constantly of that.

FRENCHIE
06-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Frenchie you should see if they're hiring with all the plugging you give them ;)
It takes somethin to get my respect and ass kissin from me..and the way ive been treated-taken care of...ive got plenty left!!:D :D

dicudmore
06-23-2004, 05:46 PM
It takes somethin to get my respect and ass kissin from me..and the way ive been treated-taken care of...ive got plenty left!!:D :D
all I'm saying is they should cut ya in on a little bit of the action for all the free advertising you give 'em. You wouldn't do it if you didn't believe in the product yourself....
little extra gas $$$ ;)

PlaneNutz
06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm with you French. The treatin is nice down there. They're always willing to help with a problem or even just a question.

PlaneNutz
06-23-2004, 07:45 PM
As far as Cottonwood....... I get pissed off just thinking about launching at Kathrines. All the little Mohave maggots or lake lice, or whatever you want to call them, buzzing around showing off just outside the no wake zone. To afraid to venture off even a quarter mile from the marina. And the wait to load my boat??? I've waited 3 hours before. And by the time it was my turn, I was almost to drunk to load, having 3 hours to sit and drink at the dock. Cottonwood is worth the drive, and make sure you go north. The Nevada side has some pretty cool coves about 2 miles north. Private and secluded. I can actually let my kids play in the water without worring about tidal waves taking them out to sea.
Ahhh. I feel better now!

FRENCHIE
06-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey man where have ya been? What 's your river sdhedule like? WE will be out on the 4th of july, the weekend of the 17th adn also weekend of july 24 th let me know! would be great to connect!...leon;)

luckydawg
06-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Mod-
I haven't been on this site in quite a while, but was just lurking and caught your thread. Will be out there with the family Sun thru Wed next week and are thinking about heading up to Cottonwood - haven't been there yet. It's just going to be me with my pregnant wife and 2 yr old daughter, so I'll have my hands full, but if you see us, pull up and have a frawsty! We'll be in a 20.5 Advantage with black hull, yellow-orange-red fade and red binaby top.
-Craig

Mod VP
06-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by luckydawg
Mod-
I haven't been on this site in quite a while, but was just lurking and caught your thread. Will be out there with the family Sun thru Wed next week and are thinking about heading up to Cottonwood - haven't been there yet. It's just going to be me with my pregnant wife and 2 yr old daughter, so I'll have my hands full, but if you see us, pull up and have a frawsty! We'll be in a 20.5 Advantage with black hull, yellow-orange-red fade and red binaby top.
-Craig
Where are ya staying?
It might be cool to go to cottonwood together.
Do you have a pic of your boat?It'll be me,other 1/2,the 13 yr. old son,and 11 yr. old daughter...Oh yeah and an 80 lb. dog :eek:

RacerX
06-24-2004, 09:20 AM
How early would you advise to get on the water at Cottonwood to avoid crowds?
We're going next week as well with big group from work. We launch out of Katherine's and never have a problem because I'm a wakeboarder and on the water by 6:30 am. I never have to wait to launch.
I told my wife that I want to take the kids to see the Hoover Dam so I want to launch out of Cottonwood on wednesday morning.
I've asked before but I just want to confirm it's about 45 minutes from Laughlin? Up the 95 towards Searchlight right?
thanks...:D

BADBLOWN572
06-24-2004, 11:28 AM
At Cottonwood, you dont have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get on the water. I have launched on a holiday weekend and the most I ever had to wait was about 20 minutes. Even if I am staying in Laughlin, I will drive all the way to Cottonwood just to avoid the crowds at Katherines.
As for rough water, if it is rough go north! South and you will have a problem. When you exit Cottonwood going north, you will end up in Arizona Basin. Stick to the shore and you should be fine. Once you get to owl point, it will be smooth sailing all the way to the hoover dam.

luckydawg
06-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Where are ya staying?
It might be cool to go to cottonwood together.
Do you have a pic of your boat?It'll be me,other 1/2,the 13 yr. old son,and 11 yr. old daughter...Oh yeah and an 80 lb. dog :eek:
Sounds like you've got a FULL boat!
We are staying at a friends place and believe it or not, I'm not exactly sure where it is....yet. I think either Needles or Bullhead area. I'll know more tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't find a pic of my boat right now:rolleyes: but it looks kinda line the cartoon ad for ADN boatworks with the black hull and the fluting that fades from yellow at the bow to red at the stern.
PM me with your info and maybe we can hook-up?

luckydawg
06-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by RacerX
[B]I've asked before but I just want to confirm it's about 45 minutes from Laughlin? Up the 95 towards Searchlight right?
That's my understanding. Not sure if we'll be up there on Wednesday but we'll look for you if we are.

phebus
06-24-2004, 11:41 AM
If the crowds and chaos isn't enough when you launch at Katherine's, the freakin' walk from the parking area (or worse overflow parking area) sucks. I hate that place, and would drive to Cottonwood to launch, even if it was twice as far.

Trash
06-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Racer X,
Two schools of thought on getting to the dam.
1) I prefer this method. Launch at Katherines early and during the middle of the week. Crowds will be minimal. Head north assuming the wind isn't nasty (25 mph or more). Look for a high pressure system to create such conditions. Unfortunately, you can't always plan around the weather. I prefer using the boat to cruise upstream and see the sights. Hell, thats what I bought it for, so lets use it! I'd prefer being on the water for 40 miles than on the road for 60. At Cottonwood, get gas and continue north to the dam. Cruising at 30 mph will take about 3 hours including the small no wake zone at Willow Beach and getting fuel in Cottonwood.
Yes, Cottonwood basin can get nasty, but I have also seen the south half with 1- 1 1/2 footers and the north half smooth. It was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen. Almost as if there was a line in the sand so to speak. Bottom line, if you, your passengers and boat can handle it, continue north. It will get better around Owl point. On the other hand, I've seen it smooth the entire way and completely out of control all the way (i.e. I took 6 inches of green water over the bow).
Return to Katherines around sunset. Crowds if any will be gone or minimal.
2) Launch at Cottonwood as others suggested. Pros were already mentioned (less crowds, closer to dam etc.), but it is a drive from Laughlin.
Keep in mind the new regs regarding heading to the dam north of Willow Beach. Prior to Labor day it needs to be a Tuesday - Saturday. After Labor day, you need something with less than 65 hp to be allowed north of Willow Beach on those same days.
Hope this helps.

luckydawg
06-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Trash
Racer X,
Keep in mind the new regs regarding heading to the dam north of Willow Beach. Prior to Labor day it needs to be a Tuesday - Saturday. After Labor day, you need something with less than 65 hp to be allowed north of Willow Beach on those same days.
Hope this helps.
Good point. Thanks for the reminder.
I agree with you about heading up from Kathrine's, but with my other half being pregnant, I think my chice is limited for this trip if I ever want to hear the end of it;)

dicudmore
06-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I believe monday tuesday are the no go to the dam days....

Desert Rat
06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Here is the National Park site with info
NPS Site (http://www.nps.gov/lame/Compendium012804.pdf)
Quote "All motorized vessels are prohibited in Black Canyon, from the Willow Beach harbor to Hoover Dam,
on Sundays and Mondays year round."
:mad:
Hope this clears it up

luckydawg
06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Desert Rat.
I guess that puts me there Tuesday!

LaveyJet
06-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Did the Hoover Dam trip last Friday with the gf. Left from Katherins and yes the basin was a bitch. May go again on July 3rd with the rest of the family. Keep an eye out fot Big Horn Sheep. Saw quite a few.

Trash
06-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Desert Rat,
I'm with you on the new rules....grrrrrr....:mad: But not so much the Sunday Monday deal, but rather the complete ban on anything over 65 hp after Labor day but before Memorial day. We Sept and Oct trips which this obviously impacts us.

Desert Rat
06-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Friggen Eco-Nazi's:mad:

JetBoatRich
06-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Desert Rat
Here is the National Park site with info
NPS Site (http://www.nps.gov/lame/Compendium012804.pdf)
Quote "All motorized vessels are prohibited in Black Canyon, from the Willow Beach harbor to Hoover Dam,
on Sundays and Mondays year round."
:mad:
Hope this clears it up
There is a big sign hanging over the water, says the same thing:mad: