PDA

View Full Version : IPOD help

Chris Winn
06-23-2004, 07:54 AM
hello,
i just got my wife the new IPOD mini, with it i bought the fm modulator and it sounds like crap.
can anyone wire in the jacks into both of our cars so it would be plug and play through an auxilary input rather than RF???
the cars are
2003 5 series
2004 mercedes G500 (i have seen kits for this one i think)
any help would be appricaited.
i have to leave for a trip, but i will check the boards for an answer tonight.
thanks,
Chris

riverbound
06-23-2004, 08:12 AM
the fm modulator that is for the ipod (wireless) is a piece of crap. Buy a good fm modulator that is hard wired into the car and you will be much happier. Im not sure of any aux. inputs for the mercedes but I can look for you once I get back to the shop.

Chris Winn
06-23-2004, 03:51 PM
thanks riverbound,
i decided to try the ipod over the XM for the more personal music selections.
if you have a kit, i'm all over it (i could even come out to you on saturday if you can get it done)
i saw te hard wired kit in some magazine 9it even had the interface to be controlled from your sterring wheel controlls)
let me know...

riverbound
06-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I think I have the bmw interface in stock the mercedes one I will check for you once I get back in the shop (friday)

Chris Winn
06-24-2004, 10:22 AM
hello riverbound,
thanks,
i would like to get this done, so let me know when you get back, my wife is off for the summer, and i can have her bring them in one at a time.
Chris

Akamatsu
06-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Sounds like Bill already has you hooked up.
If he doesn't have anything for the mercedes, Here is another possiblity:
As far as the FM Transmitter, I know I had the Belkin and it plain sucked. I found another one that was an all in one solution at www.everythingipod.com. I have the DLO Transpod FM All-in-one Car Solution(page 2 middle under 'For your car' section($99)) and it broadcasts over FM great. Fully selectable from 88 - 107 Mhz on a LCD screen. And it is powered by the cigarette lighter which seems to broadcast with much more power than the little Belkin. Looking at the website it is for 3G or the mini. I have the 40 GB regular size and have been very happy with this solution as it charges and plays at the same time. No problems hooking it into any of our vehicles, as it comes with a couple double-jointed locking extensions to place it in a convenient location for each one.
If you have any questions on it, let me know. It does work in the boat as well! :) I just move it from vehicle to vehicle.
Akamatsu

riverbound
06-25-2004, 10:54 AM
chris I have the adapter for the BMW The mercedes aux input piece will be out soon. Do you have the factory changer on the BMW?

Chris Winn
06-29-2004, 08:04 AM
hello Riverbound,
sorry for the late reply, good news on the BMW, but i do not have the factory changer (i have been watching the BMW site periodicaly and they seel the changers new for about $400 in the box new) so i will hold off for deal (unless there is a cheaper solition that works throught he factory controlls)
i really need the MB done though, my wife is leaving for Nor cal (Eurica/Arcdia) and it is about a 12 hour drive alone. so she would like to have the ipod working.
dumb Question, but can i have rca kajs installed into the radio with just the single headphone jack sticking out of the bottom of the radio to plug it in directly (or something like thta for that matter) basically hard wire it in??
if that can be done, can you get it in this week?
best regards,
chris

ROZ
06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Chris Winn
dumb Question, but can i have rca kajs installed into the radio with just the single headphone jack sticking out of the bottom of the radio to plug it in directly (or something like thta for that matter) basically hard wire it in??
if that can be done, can you get it in this week?
best regards,
chris
I don't know if RiverbBound's guys do that sort of thing. It usually envolves factory schematics and additional harness(s) attached to test equiptment to make sure all of the connections made are correct. Then again I could be wrong. It may be something he does...
I do know that La Jolla Audio in LaJolla has done different modifications to OEM Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Rolls Royce decks. They've even been know to chop up a customer's 512BBi when asked :D
Scott (owner) or Donald 858-581-6545.
You might want to check with Speakerworks/USD as well. They're in Orange and have installed some famous systems. Eric @ 714-997-9880.

Chris Winn
06-29-2004, 10:53 AM
thanks Roz,
speakerworks is just right up the street from my office, they did my wifes old boxter (it was so clean you would not have know that the speakers were not factory, and it sounded great with the top down.
i will check into that, i swore that i saw a site that had a retrofit kit to controll to IPOD from the factory controls (i think that it was in Rob report), i know that i should have saved that ad then.....

ROZ
06-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Chris Winn
thanks Roz,
speakerworks is just right up the street from my office, they did my wifes old boxter (it was so clean you would not have know that the speakers were not factory, and it sounded great with the top down.
i will check into that, i swore that i saw a site that had a retrofit kit to controll to IPOD from the factory controls (i think that it was in Rob report), i know that i should have saved that ad then..... If you do go up there, tell Eric that John Polo still works at Tweeter(old DOW Stereo), but nobody has figured out just exactly what he does.... YET :D

Chris Winn
06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
thanks Roz,
i always do want to try to give the buisness to an HB member, i do like the guys at speakerworks, but they always have this funny way of getting me to spend double my budget.
what i really want is a inexpensive hard wired set up (if that is possble) (this is one of those with the stero intagrated with the nav).
i really do appriciate the input, i am going to have to do some homework today

riverbound
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Chris,
If you are right around speaker works go to our Orange location and see Kenny (he is a good friend of mine). Tell him what you are trying to do and he can get you the right adapters. The reason we sell adapters is because we dont want to have to go in and cut up the wiring on you factory radio. His number is
(714)771-1188
Bill

Chris Winn
06-29-2004, 01:46 PM
hello Bill,
i know righ where that store is, if i remeber right that is your old store. i will try them tonight.
i really wanted to give the buisness to someone on the boards if would benifit them, but if its cool to go to that store it would be more convienent.
i will ahve you take a look at redoing my stereo in the boat when i bring it home in December, i need to add some power to that (i'm running 4 6x9's and 2 10's with 1 800w sony) (its all the explode sony stuff), and it lacks the power to do much at all......

riverbound
06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Yes that is my old store. Kenny is now the owner of that one and is a good guy. He is a fellow boater but I dont think he comes on here. He should be able to get you set up. Unfotrunately I am booked up this entire week and I will not be able to bring on anymore work until the middle of next week Or I would get you set up.
Bill

Chris Winn
07-02-2004, 01:35 PM
hey bill,
i spoke to kenny, he is having me look for an aux input on the G500, he showed me a new E500 that had one in the glovebox ( i looked and couln't find it, so my wife is on her way over to have him look at it).
kenny was super nice and spent all the time in the world to expain what i needed (close to 20mins) he did not try to sell me on anything else (quite stand up)
hopefully this will work, but i wished to thank you for you recomendations.
Chris

riverbound
07-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Any time I can help just let me know:)