PDA

View Full Version : Place diverter Disapointment

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 10:39 AM
My buddy just put on a new place diverter on his 18 foot southwind. Took it out yesterday and with the nozzle all the way up it only shot a roost about 4 feet high at WOT. We wherent expecting a 30 foot roost but this was a little smaller that we thought. Any suggestions to why this is? Does it have to do with the pump? ANy help here is appreciated.

hboldno7
06-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Did the Boat gain any MPH ? Did it handle better ?

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 10:49 AM
We forgot the GPS unit so I dont know really, felt a little faster and it def. handled better, these we are looking for as well.
but the roost is cool....isnt that why you have a jet boat?
I guess I shouldnt have said disapointment, it was better than without, maybe we just expected to much?

GM Killer
06-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Make sure the adjustments are correct so that it has full movement.
Do you have a droop or any other add-ons? What kind of pump do you have? If it is adjusted correctly, that might be all you get.
I had a Berk C pump and only got about a 7ft roost with that. When you add a droop you pick up another 4 degrees of lift which really kicks up the tail.
good luck

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I dont recall what the pump is but maybe that is all we will get.
I looked to see if there is an ajustment but I didnt see anywhere to do that. No droop on it.

MudPumper
06-23-2004, 11:37 AM
You have to adjust it via the cable. With the cable disconnected bove the nozzle up and down by hand and you will see how far up it goes, then reconnedt the cable and check to see if it gets full travel using the lever. If not adjust the cable with the heim joint ?? or the two large jam nuts. I have the same boat and mine is bigger than 4 ft.

promod
06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
put a 4 deg wedge in it and get the roost up and then if the boat is riding to high bring the nozzle back down

Jetdriver
06-23-2004, 12:39 PM
You can buy my rooster booster! :D

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
I will check the adjustment tonight. THanks for the tips, what is this 4 * wedge. where does that go?

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Mudpumper you have a Southwind? Very nice my buddy has an 18 foot jet and i have a 18 foot outboard southwind. Good to see some more out there. Have you checked out www.southwindjetboats.com?

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
You can buy my rooster booster! :D
Where were you when I was looking for one ? :D
C.T. :wink:

wideopen23
06-23-2004, 01:18 PM
whats a roost booster?

Jetdriver
06-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Basically an 8degree wedge!

wet77
06-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Check your cable play:D
My diverter the first time I used it I could move it up and down and it looked like it worked fine out of the water but with slack in the cable it had a bad rooster tail
You should not be able to push down on the nozzle when it is locked into the up position if you can you are loosing the max up trim on your diverter;)
Funny how a inch or so will make a difference in how big the rooster is:D :D

BarryMac
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Basically an 8degree wedge!
Is it really for sale? If so how much and any pics???
gjb

cave
06-23-2004, 04:37 PM
From onboard the boat mine looks like its only 4" but as I found out later in the day it was more like 10' as I roosted the knuckleheads throwing rocks from the bluff. It sits at around 10' and the water rained down on em. :D
cave

TRG
06-23-2004, 06:47 PM
i was always told that your "ROOSTER" should be right around 4' anyways?...any higher, then it would start to slow you down!
any takers?
todd

BigBlockBaja
06-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I think this is just about looks, not how fast there going or any improvemnts from it... Just my 2 cents

roostwear
06-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
i was always told that your "ROOSTER" should be right around 4' anyways?...any higher, then it would start to slow you down!
any takers?
todd
I think I heard 3-4', and that's what my hull likes (at least when the ride plate was at 0 degrees). I set the plate to 4 degrees, so I'll see what difference it makes on the 4th.

TRG
06-24-2004, 06:18 PM
BBB, if i were involved in a more performance rated hull,... i would have to believe that the diverter or ANY other form of trim adj. would be very beneficial to achieve higher speeds. not to be taken in any other way than just some of my own opinion!:D
tizzle..........OUT!

BigBlockBaja
06-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey Toddnjuzz, I think we think alike. I really dont care how big my roost is. I just wanna go faster. If that means trimming it up some to get the hull a little more outa the water, im game. But im not going to do it for the "wow" factor.

stillgoin
06-24-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm the guy with the diverter diasppointment. The boat feels faster, rides, handles better and is faster at idle. I can feel the speed increase from all the way up to one notch down. Which I like, I think I just expected the roost to be higher. Don't get me wrong, I'll take any performance increase I can get, but the big roosts are so cool looking...I do have a little lax in the cable, will work that out and test on Sunday. Thanks guys for the imput....and what's this roost boost wedge all about????
Stillgoin

MudPumper
06-25-2004, 02:48 PM
How about throwin up a pic of your boat!!;)

Jetdriver
06-25-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/79DSCF0021-med.JPG
PM me if you want to talk!

77charger
06-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by promod
put a 4 deg wedge in it and get the roost up and then if the boat is riding to high bring the nozzle back down I did the same thing to my old boat .By far the cheapest option to go.

cave
06-25-2004, 07:45 PM
stillgoin
Where you boating this Sunday? If I can get me boat ready by Sunday I'll be out at Sugauro Lake.

shaun
06-25-2004, 08:25 PM
When i used to go to the river with my family when i was younger my dad had a friend that had a diverter on his boat. He owned a plastic molding shop and also owned the equipment to make the molds. He fabed up his diverter and would throw a huge roost. I mean this was a serious roost. If any of you guys are fermiliar with blyth and the freeway that runs over the river he could through a roost right over it. Not sure what he had fabed up exactly because i was too young to really care about what the hardware looked like.

stillgoin
06-26-2004, 09:10 AM
goin to saguaro, if I could figure out how to put a pic on here I could show you what to look for.

cave
06-26-2004, 02:18 PM
stillgoin,
Mine is like my avitar. Ill be there early to avoid the rodeo later in the day.

Rexone
06-26-2004, 04:11 PM
2-4 feet is generally considered optimum for max speed. Higher = all show and less go and the angle of thrust becomes counterproductive to forward movement of the boat, instead driving the ass end down into the water.
Good advice above on checking cable adjustment for full travel of the nozzle. 4D wedge should also work if cable is already correct.

stillgoin
06-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Wedge allows for more show, but is it counterproductive, or do you still have room to work with to stay within optimum performance boundaries?
Stillgoin

Rexone
06-27-2004, 02:32 AM
If you have an application where you can't get high roost and you're already getting full nozzle travel and have proper cable adjustment, etc, etc, then adding a 4ยบ wedge would still allow you enough range to both utilize the max speed roost range as well as negative trim for out of the hole etc.
There are numerous variables at work here with different boats so to make a blanket statement that covers all is next to impossible. Different setups and different hull characteristics make every application different that the next.

Dan Lorenze
06-27-2004, 06:20 AM
You should play around with the cable. On my Place diverter I spent a couple of hours just screwing around with the adjustment on the cable.. My mild 460 can shoot a roost much higher than 4', it's fun but not optimum. Like RexMike said everyboat is different. I've adjusted mine so that when I'm pulling a raft or wakeboard it's down enough not to spray people but when I'm running WOT I can throw the lever all the way forward to lift the boat..
Dan

stillgoin
06-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Just got back from lake. Played around a bit with cable to eliminate any bit of slack. Made a huge difference. Can't tell for sure from boat, but I'd say it is now about 6-8' ft. I'm happy with that, much closer to what I expected. Mostly I just played around. It is amazing how much better the boat rides through chop. Don't get me wrong, I still know it's there, but I won't be peeing any blood tonight either.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just had a successful trip to the lake....Now it is off to work :(
Stillgoin:

GlastronGuy
06-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Did you remember the GPS this time?

stillgoin
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
GPS is on Wednesday. We got a group of about 4 boats goin, that are all curious to know where they stand. Will post numbers as to diverter performance improvement..
Stillgoin

cave
06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
What time you both heading out?
My jet isnt that fast but sitting that low gives that
"I'm going faster than that huh feeling":D
cave
Its a lowrider without the curb feelers

BigBlockBaja
06-29-2004, 06:15 PM
If ya ask me.. I think this is enough of a roost.. Gets my hull outa the water enough to notice a speed difference.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1636dock4.JPG
Pat

cave
06-29-2004, 06:22 PM
With my hydrolic place diverter i get about 3 to 5 feet out of it but the boat is faster at around 2 1/2' Not to mention the quick up position for those wake board boat rollers.
Stillgoin
Oh BTW, What lake are you guys going to Weds?

Jordy
06-29-2004, 06:27 PM
You can always hit Saguaro on Wednesday and then catch the fish fry at the marina. :D

cave
06-29-2004, 06:33 PM
That is the plan right now. If I can get my inventory done in time for some daylight fun.

stillgoin
06-29-2004, 10:06 PM
planning on canyon, what's all this fish fry talk?

cave
06-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Back in the day Saguaro lakes Lake view restraunt had a Weds. fish fry. Not sure if they still do. I'll find out today.
Canyon is Nice. Unfortunatly it would be dark before I got on the water.
stillgoin
I read That Squirtcha? and his buddies will be at Bartlett Lake this weekend for the 4th. I met up him and his friends a couple of times and it was great. Even got a ride in Squirtchas? boat. Good peps out there.
What are you all doing. Cali? Local?
Freaking Inventory. Canyon would be great today. I'll be at Suguaro late in the afternoon.

stillgoin
06-30-2004, 09:24 AM
already have a friend at Canyon, but we'll get ya one of these times. No plans for the fourth, other than work:(
We're all local...Mesa.
Have fun at Saguaro
Stillgoin

Scarab Jet
07-16-2004, 07:09 PM
This subject got me thinkin'... How do you adjust a hydraulic place diverter? I.e., how do you know that it is going all the way up and down like it is supposed to?
I only get about a foot or so from the diverter all the way up, which makes me think that there is something not quite right...
Thanx in advance for any ideas...

Rexone
07-17-2004, 12:40 AM
First check to see that your cylinder is getting full travel up and down.
If it is then the next step is add a wedge.

Scarab Jet
07-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanx Mike...
This might sound like a dumb question but here it goes...
How do I check to make sure that the cylinder is going all the way up and down? My gauge on the dash indicates all the way up, but I am not sure if I can trust that or not...
Thanx again for your reply...

Rexone
07-19-2004, 01:00 PM
On the trailer, have someone operate the diverter for you. Go round back and do a visual check on the diverter and cylinder to make sure your getting full travel out of the cylinder.
:)