PDA

View Full Version : Paint Pros--->

dmontzsta
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
do you know what the next shade lighter to Artic White would be? I am doing some touch up work on the boat and used Artic white, but it is just a shade too dark compared to the color on the boat now, anyone know what color I should try next?

LakesOnly
06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Tint your Arctic White.
LO

dmontzsta
06-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
Tint your Arctic White.
LO
tint it?

LakesOnly
06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
tint it?
a TINT: add pure white (to the color)
a SHADE: add pure black (to the color)
a TONE: add a blend of black & white (to the color)
Get some pure white and slowly mix it into your arctic white...a little at a time until you have the right color tinted white.
LO

dmontzsta
06-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
a TINT: add pure white (to the color)
a SHADE: add pure black (to the color)
a TONE: add a blend of black & white (to the color)
Get some pure white and slowly mix it into your arctic white...a little at a time until you have the right color tinted white.
LO
oh, I gotcha now. I failed to mention it is spray. :)

mickeyfinn
06-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Don't know much about painting but it would seem that if arctic white is what you started with and has faded slightly that if you tint your paint to match the fade then in the future the 2 paints will fade differently. So instead of having a boat with 2 slightly different colors that eventually weather together you would have a boat that starts out looking like it is all the same and over time will weather differently. Maybe not but makes sense to me.

coolchange
06-23-2004, 05:42 PM
By spray do you mean not gelcoat? A trick back in the late 70's was to add blue to the white paint to make it more brilliant in the sun. But it became a little gray in indirect light. Most whites have some combo of black blue maroon or other to make them cover.

BILLY.B
06-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Put a stripe in the area and call it a day :D .

TRG
06-23-2004, 06:54 PM
:D

dmontzsta
06-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
haha, or some stickers. :D
coolchange, by spray I mean paint, not gel...my boat is painted.

DaveA
06-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
That's why they invented vinyl- to cover up boat booboo's. Love that peel & stick! :D :D

Da-Bull
06-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by DaveA
That's why they invented vinyl- to cover up boat booboo's. Love that peel & stick! :D :D
I love them decals. CA...CA mon:D :cool: :D