PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network & DSL

riverbound
06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I finally made the leap and got DSL installed at the house and had them set my laptop up on the wireless network. Now I am hooked, this is great. I am sitting in my la-z-boy in front of my big screen TV and browsing the internet all at once I love technology:D Oh yeah I also got an ice cold beer in my hand:cool:

Phat Matt
06-23-2004, 03:02 PM
That's not fair. I'm at the office and I only got to drink on my extended lunch! :D

riverbound
06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
That's not fair. I'm at the office and I only got to drink on my extended lunch! :D
I'm off today. :D :D :D
Of course when most people are off at the river I am stuck working dreaming about it.:mad:

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
he he eh Nice isn't it :D
Ive noticed with my directional "cantenna" I can feed the condos down the street with wireless internet :D
C.T. :wink:

XtrmWakeborder
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
haha...im doin the same thing riverbound...cept with cable..its the only way to go

mickeyfinn
06-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Make sure you turn the ssid broadcasting off and change the default name of your network. This will keep almost everyone out. If you want a little more security (probably not needed) set your wireless router to filter by MAC address (its tied to hardware, but can be spoofed). If you want to get serious about security and are willing to deal with some speed loss turn on the 128 bit encryption with the keys on the machines. This will cost you some speed but the speed of the network should still be much faster than your DSL so you would never notice it surfing. (only if doing file transfers between machines).

riverbound
06-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm not to concerned with security on my home computer. I just didnt want to have to be stuck in the office if I wanted to be on the internet. If other people want to use my connection then they can have at it as long as it doesnt slow me down.

Debbolas
06-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I finally made the leap and got DSL installed at the house and had them set my laptop up on the wireless network. Now I am hooked, this is great. I am sitting in my la-z-boy in front of my big screen TV and browsing the internet all at once I love technology:D Oh yeah I also got an ice cold beer in my hand:cool:
Just like Scream and I !!!!!!!!!!
:D

JetBoatRich
06-23-2004, 05:01 PM
I have been using a wireless network for a couple years:D it is the way to go:cool:
Just bought a new laptop and everything is built inside, cleaner connection:cool: so far it works on all wireless connections I tried.
I changed my SSID, as stated above. A little security never hurts.

mickeyfinn
06-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
I have been using a wireless network for a couple years:D it is the way to go:cool:
Just bought a new laptop and everything is built inside, cleaner connection:cool: so far it works on all wireless connections I tried.
I changed my SSID, as stated above. A little security never hurts.
Did you turn off the SSID broadcasting? If not any XP computer will pick it up and connect.

JetBoatRich
06-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
Did you turn off the SSID broadcasting? If not any XP computer will pick it up and connect.
I will check that, it has been a while since I set it up:rolleyes:

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Good points on the security issues Mickey.
esp if your running the routers ethernet 10base connections to other computers and the many server services Windoze enables by default.
like server service, remote desktop, remote registry, secondary logon. just to name a few .
. I'm running my wireless (C) as a stand alone through a hub then from the wireless (C) to another hub (B) split off to the external router (A) from external router (A) through a hardware firewall (D) then through another 10 port hub feeding the network here. 2 Windoze and 4 Linux machines.
so that leaves the wireless open for whoever wants to use it leaving the internal network somewhat unaccessible from the wireless . if somebody did manage to get on the inside from the wireless they are welcome to whatever their little hearts desire they earned it :D
no need to sneak around though all ya have to do is ask :D
C.T. :wink:

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Welcome to my world...........
(when I am home):(

Essex502
06-24-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm not to concerned with security on my home computer. I just didnt want to have to be stuck in the office if I wanted to be on the internet. If other people want to use my connection then they can have at it as long as it doesnt slow me down.
Not to be snide...you better care about security. Do you ever purchase anything over the 'net? How would you like to have your credit card number broadcast to anyone and everyone? Do you use online banking or Bill Pay...watch you bank account as it is likely to be drained. Keep any personal information on ANY of you home computers? It is accessible to all if you don't take the steps to protect it.
There are kids who drive around in cars and can park in front of your house connect to your computer and snag just about anything they want. They can plant a keystroke logger on your computer and get every password you use to access anything on the 'net.
You better be concerned about security.
This message was brought to you as a public service and is not intended to offend.