PDA

View Full Version : Fuel odor

Tom Brown
06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
I installed a new fuel system in my boat and one of the fittings leaked. Now I have a terrible fuel smell. It leaked onto the fiberglass in the bilge so it's a little pourous.
Any ideas on how to handle the odor? What should I clean it with? Spray-9 doesn't seem to touch it. I hessitate to install the new interior pieces until I handle the smell.

Havasu Hangin'
06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Simple Green would be my first choice...

summerlove
06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Any ideas on how to handle the odor? What should I clean it with?
muratic acid.....;)

burtandnancy
06-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Whatever you do, be very careful. You MUST get rid of any leaked fuel. If you can smell it, you've got a problem. You have a possible bomb under your hatch. I've seen many an explosion of boats starting up on the launch ramp with this very problem. Its not just the smell you need to clear up, its the fuel. This is one thing you can't fool around with...

Havasu Hangin'
06-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Do outboreds blow up too?

mickeyfinn
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Fuel will vaporize pretty quickly. The best thing you could do is to open up the area and put in a fan and allow the fuel to vaporize and go away. Not environmentally friendly but the easiest, of course anything else you do without paying big bucks is going to be kinda nasty too.

RiverDave
06-23-2004, 03:47 PM
I would think any degreaser would work?
I'd try using DAWN dishwashing soap and water, simple green automotive etc..
RD

Jbb
06-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Its not actually a fuel odor...Last fall a large wedge of Cheddar...(you all remember the bran and cheddar files,dont you?)...fell into the side panel during a Canatard boat wine and cheese festival brawl...It has finally thawed out and is beginning to stink...

RiverDave
06-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Don't be silly Brian.. It wouldn't have thawed out yet! It's still snowing up in Canatard country!! :D
RD

HCS
06-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Ajax.

riverbound
06-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Just light a match in the general area, it will burn off all the spilled fuel and the smeel should be gone:D :D j/k dont do that.
I have used simple green before and it has worked well.

HCS
06-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
Just light a match in the general area, it will burn off all the spilled fuel and the smeel should be gone:D :D j/k dont do that.
I have used simple green before and it has worked well.
Especially if it's an outboard. Throw a match on it.:p :D

mickeyfinn
06-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Especially if it's an outboard. Throw a match on it.:p :D
Be my luck the damn thing would have so much oil premixed with the gas that it wouldn't burn

ahhell
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Fabreeze??????;)

Mandelon
06-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Take a big dump in there Tom. That ought to cover up the smell pretty quickly. :D

Tom Brown
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Simple Green would be my first choice...
Mine too...

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
muratic acid.....;)
And a little cholorox... your very own gas chamber!:p

Ziggy
06-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Keep flushing with H20, gas is lighter than water so it'll carry it out. Then I'd think drop some ARM AND HAMMER in there and flush a few times, it'll help draw it out of the pores.
An old phone book does wonders to soak up s h i t in bilges:wink:

Ziggy
06-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Take a big dump in there Tom. That ought to cover up the smell pretty quickly. :D
Petrol and methane...nice combo. You crack me up Man.:D

Debbolas
06-23-2004, 06:28 PM
kitty litter?:confused:

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Or a match, that'd fix it up fast........;)

Mandelon
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I had some of those Listerine breath strips things the other day....wow they wake up your tongue.
Dump a gross of those mint puppies down there and it will smell freshy freshy fresh fresh.

Rexone
06-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Tom try some nice fragrant pine incense. The glowing ember should clean the fuel smell right up for you if the fragrance fails. :D

Mandelon
06-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Can you buy ether?

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Can you buy ether?
starting Fluid...:D

Ziggy
06-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Only if he takes Mandelon's advise and covers it with some of his Bran Beefcake:yuk: :D

Danhercules
06-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Put 5 gal of water in with the plug in, and a 1/2 bottle of Dawn or other soap, drive around for a while. Pull the plug, she be clean. Better yet, drive to the river!!!!!

rrrr
06-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Well, I hafta say that Tom is getting his wisecracks back in spades. :D :D
My advice is to search for the odor source with an open flame.

surfer2001
06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I installed a new fuel system in my boat and one of the fittings leaked. Now I have a terrible fuel smell. It leaked onto the fiberglass in the bilge so it's a little pourous.
Any ideas on how to handle the odor?
stick matches should do the trick

Blown 472
06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Any ideas on how to handle the odor? What should I clean it with? Spray-9 doesn't seem to touch it. I hessitate to install the new interior pieces until I handle the smell.
burn that eggbeater pos to tha ground you ****ing canuck mutha ****a. :D :D :p

canuck1
06-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
burn that eggbeater pos to tha ground you ****ing canuck mutha ****a. :D :D :p
In Toms defence F U C K YOU SPICE BOY

Tom Brown
06-23-2004, 10:19 PM
You people can't seem to stay on topic. :(

v-drive
06-24-2004, 03:43 AM
There is a degreaser called oil eater and it will work just fine.
No side effects to mention, not even an oily discharge. Sorry I just had to throw that in. :D v-drive

SILVERWING
06-24-2004, 06:13 AM
TOM LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY A NEW BOAT.

Blown 472
06-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by canuck1
In Toms defence F U C K YOU SPICE BOY
Oh so now he cant stand up for himself?:p

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 06:34 AM
You people can't seem to stay on topic. :(
I think if you scrub the crap out of all the contaminated surfaces with laundry detergent, that would help.
Also, if there is fuel in the bilge, put your plug in the boat and then stick a hose in the bilge and fill it with like 30 gallons of water, then squirt in a bunch of laundry detergent. Then hook the boat up and drive around and let it slosh in there for a while.
When you get home, drain out the water, then fill it back up with plain water and repeat.
That should at least help. You might want to use laundry detergent on your seats and upolstery too. I think if you do this, and just "use" the boat, it will eventually disappate.
That a decent answer Tom?

HCS
06-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
I think if you scrub the crap out of all the contaminated surfaces with laundry detergent, that would help.
Also, if there is fuel in the bilge, put your plug in the boat and then stick a hose in the bilge and fill it with like 30 gallons of water, then squirt in a bunch of laundry detergent. Then hook the boat up and drive around and let it slosh in there for a while.
When you get home, drain out the water, then fill it back up with plain water and repeat.
That should at least help. You might want to use laundry detergent on your seats and upolstery too. I think if you do this, and just "use" the boat, it will eventually disappate.
That a decent answer Tom?
My name is Tom and that's a good answer. Especially for the upholstery and carpet. Laundry soap is the way to go.
It won't leave all the suds you get with dish soap.
The only other thing is when you fill the bilge with 30 gallons of water
go launch your boat and slosh the water around.:D

SILVERWING
06-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
My name is Tom and that's a good answer. Especially for the upholstery and carpet. Laundry soap is the way to go.
It won't leave all the suds you get with dish soap.
The only other thing is when you fill the bilge with 30 gallons of water
go launch your boat and slosh the water around.:D
zoom zoom !!!!!!!!!!!
get that boat on the water dude

Mandelon
06-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm thinkin' you should take the boat out on the lake, pull the plug and sink that sucker. Let it sit underwater for a week, maybe two. Then refloat it and it will be clean. Just like magic.
No, really. Trust me Tom. It will be OK. :p

SILVERWING
06-24-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm thinkin' you should take the boat out on the lake, pull the plug and sink that sucker. Let it sit underwater for a week, maybe two. Then refloat it and it will be clean. Just like magic.
No, really. Trust me Tom. It will be OK. :p
WHEN YOU TAKE A BATH, PUT IT IN THE TUB

Tom Brown
06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
I really appreciate the advice... and the smart assed comments. :D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
06-24-2004, 09:22 AM
I really appreciate the advice... and the smart assed comments. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Always happy to help........:D :D :D