PDA

View Full Version : Where does my gear oil go?

Relaxalot
06-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Help! Last time I was out I noticed the gear oil resevoir dropped about 1/2". Where does this oil go? Is this not good news? Every time I go out I notice a small amount gone 1/4" to 1/2". Any suggestions?

Havasu Hangin'
06-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Most caps leak a little.
Any sheen in the water?

CARGUY
06-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Relaxalot
Help! Last time I was out I noticed the gear oil resevoir dropped about 1/2". Where does this oil go? Is this not good news? Every time I go out I notice a small amount gone 1/4" to 1/2". Any suggestions?
This happened on my last boat and is happening again on my new boat. Several mechanics have told me that the drive lubrication systems get air pockets in them and even though they don't leak it is normal to have to put drive oil in them. Don't know if this is true but it is what I have heard. Keep filling it up and if there are no leaks the air should eventually vent through the cap and you should not see it go down.

Relaxalot
06-23-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't see any leakage at all. No sheen in the water. Everything operates fine. I was just wondering, maybe it's air pockets?
Thanks,
Dan

77charger
06-23-2004, 08:54 PM
is the boat new or oil changed recently?When i change mine for the next 8 hours(run time) it drops a little then i fill up and no change.