PDA

View Full Version : Boys in blue getting the shaft again.....

Havasu_Dreamin
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
LA Times Police Pursuit Article (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-062304beating_lat.story)
Video Shows Police Hitting Suspect After Pursuit
One police source alleges that the suspect offered at least some resistance.
By Andrew Blankstein and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
One of several Los Angeles police officers who chased a stolen car suspect down a Compton wash path today was captured on live television trying to kick the man and then hitting him several times with a flashlight after it appeared he had surrendered.
LAPD officials immediately launched an investigation into whether the officer used excessive force in the incident, which began with reports of a hit-and-run driver on the 105 Freeway and ended in a car and foot pursuit.
The man in news footage shot from a helicopter is shown pulling the car into a dead-end street and then running north on a grassy path along a Compton wash.
After about 30 yards, the man appears to surrender by putting his hands in the air and dropping to the ground. Then as two officers have him on the ground, the third officer arrives and is seen apparently trying to kick the suspect in the head and striking his upper back and neck at least 11 times with a flashlight.
LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Berkow said the suspect, Stanley Miller, has been booked for car theft and evading police and is being held at the Parker Center jail. Berkow said Miller was treated for minor injuries, mostly bruising on one of his arms, and released to detectives.
Law enforcement sources familiar with Miller's record said he has five prior convictions for various crimes, including burglary, attempted burglary and weapons charges.
LAPD Chief William J. Bratton, speaking from New York, told The Times: "There is no denying it looks very bad from what is seen on the video. But there should be no rush to judgment before the investigations are completed."
The police chief said he immediately began reaching out to community leaders this morning. "This will be an open and forthright investigation, I assured them."
Bratton said the department launched both criminal and internal investigations into the incident.
"There is no downplaying of the severity of the incident here," Bratton said. "The officers involved have all been put on administrative assignment."
Mayor James Hahn said at an afternoon press conference, "I saw what you saw... it made me angry."
Commentary:WhoTF is the mayor to say something so stupid!?!?!?! He's angry after watching a whole 5-10 seconds of video without even being there and knowing what was going on!?!?! Or taking the time to speak with LAPD Commanders about the status of the investigation!?!?!? No, he's just automatically angry! Sounds like political BS to me!
The Los Angeles Police Commission president, David Cunningham III, said, "I am deeply disturbed after having seen the video. We are going to thoroughly investigate this."
Deputy Chief Mike Hillman cautioned about making judgments based on the news helicopter footage and said the man did resist arrest.
"You cannot tell what the use of force was from the video," Hillman said.
What video does not capture is what the officers may have heard on the ground and what they believed was unfolding, Hillman said.
Because the suspect filed a brutality complaint, an internal investigation was launched. In addition, Hillman said, detectives from the 77th Division were brought in to help investigate the incident, which involved several officers from the Southeast Division.
The incident drew comparisons with the 1991 beating by LAPD officers of motorist Rodney King, also at the end of a pursuit.
Ben Wizner, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, said, "We had hoped we would not see things like this anymore in Los Angeles. This department knows the importance of conducting a thorough and open investigation. It has seen the consequences of what can happen here when the community loses faith in the process."
Commentary: Ultimately, I don't give a rats ass as I don't live int he City of LA but who cares, he stole a car and ran from the police, obviusly he can't function as what would be considered a "normal" member of society.

Ziggy
06-23-2004, 07:43 PM
If he's got that many convictions against him he may be a known felon and considered dangerous by the LE.:confused: ....just a thought.

Debbolas
06-23-2004, 07:45 PM
It just seems simple to me, If you don't want the police to chase you and beat you..............Don't Run!!! :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
06-23-2004, 07:53 PM
You dont want your ass kicked ,
dont steal a car
dont run from the police
Dont resist arrest
Another shit bag will get off to do it again.....
The police chief said he immediately began reaching out to community leaders this morning
How about reaching out to the citizen he VIOLATED and apologizing to them instead for letting their car get stolen.....

Dr. Eagle
06-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
It just seems simple to me, If you don't want the police to chase you and beat you..............Don't Run!!! :rolleyes:
And of course first and foremost;
DON'T STEAL A CAR!!!!!!!!!!

Hallett19
06-23-2004, 08:49 PM
This is wayyyyyy too funny. I dont know if anyone saw the video real well, but what it looks like is the guy was not putting his arms back and the cop was hitting his arms with his flash light. He was not in any way shape or form, beating the shit out him. And on the news, the reporter said, word for word, "the victim had few injuries if any sustained from a blunt weapon like a flashlight, more of which would be taken from the ground he fell on to" Other than, that, the video was taken from so far away, and the guy was so well covered, you cant pin a "severe" beating on the officer, it really does look as if he is hitting his arms to assist in cuffing him. I cant wait to see what is going to happen, its a good thing the officer had the support of our worthless, good for nothing mayor and our police chief.

Oldsquirt
06-23-2004, 08:57 PM
I happened to just turn on the news and see that video play out. Had no idea when, where, why, etc. If you saw the video, it's pretty clear that one cop was way out of line. Suspect had dropped to the ground face first and had 3 cops on him and one standing near his head when the cop in question took some serious shots at his head and upper body with his flashlight.
I do realize that adrenaline can take over in a situation like that, but that is no excuse for what was seen in the video. And, NO, I'm not some kind of crusader for criminal's rights. Like you, I feel scum is scum.

XtrmWakeborder
06-23-2004, 09:17 PM
i just saw the vid and u cant say he was getting hit in the head....he could be taking shots to the arm as the poster above said....this being said, im guessin that this guys carreer because of the attention this is gunna get. what a wonderful world we live in where a cop, who "beats" a guy that steals a car and runs loses his job for something so stupid
ps.. i deffinately couldnt be a cop because instead of chasing his ass id have shot him in the legs so i didnt have to run...lol

Kilrtoy
06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
What ever happen to the good ole days
YOU STOLE A HORSE YOU GOT YOUR ASS HUNG

MudPumper
06-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Whatever the circumstances the media isn't helping any just like always. Just cought the 11 oclock news. The story started at 11 and by 11:02 they played the video 6 times. As for the Mayers actions, it's in his best interest to come out on the side of community activists as apposed to the side of the officers involved. The community activists are the ones who make this big issues about this crap. Just wait, by tomorrow Jess f uckin Jackson will be all over the news. Bottom line, don't run from the cops!!!!!

UtlGoa
06-23-2004, 10:21 PM
When does the media ever help? There a pain in the arse.

unleashed
06-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I have no Sympathy at all for the F#cker that ran from the cops. That A**hole was taking chances at running down innocent people by running from the cops. To bad they didnt beat him more to teach his dumbass a lesson! You never hear the outrage when someone innocent gets killed in one of these chases. Its all about the innocent poor felon! :mad:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

novaguy
06-24-2004, 01:09 AM
"Take Care Of The Problem"
There is no "NICE" way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect.
The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns.
We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we are too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves.
We expect them to keep the bad guy out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face.
We want them to "take care of the problem."
We just don't want to see how it's done.
Charles H. Webb, PH.D.
CSU, Long Beach, California

v-drive
06-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by novaguy
"Take Care Of The Problem"
There is no "NICE" way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect.
The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns.
We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we are too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves.
We expect them to keep the bad guy out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face.
We want them to "take care of the problem."
We just don't want to see how it's done.
Charles H. Webb, PH.D.
CSU, Long Beach, California
I'll second that......v-drive

Huckleberry
06-24-2004, 03:42 AM
In the words of Chris Rock...
"If the police have to chase you, they're bringin' an ass whooping with em!"

Kachina26
06-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Resist or not,if you run you should be beaten. I know that doesn't fly but, that's the way I want it. Besides, what are they supposed to do if the guy won't put his hands behind him? Ask more nicely? "Common, pleeeaase":confused:

OLDRAT
06-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Treating him like a "king" :D
If you don't want an ass whuppin' then don't run you law breaking, record havin', low-life ****sucker.

phebus
06-24-2004, 05:56 AM
Beat him like a baby seal. How could anyone justify not beating him. I hate those community activists!

Essex502
06-24-2004, 06:05 AM
THey're already drawing parallels between the current incident and Rodney King beating. Here comes Johnnie Cockroach. Should have shot him for running. When I heard the live broadcast on the radio, the traffic guy on KNX radio was watching the video feed from the helicopter and said the the officers were hitting him with a baton (turns out it is now said to have been a flashlight) I knew that this shit would be perceived as brutality.
Someone else said ti first - Don't focking run. Don't lead police on a chase through city streets, and furthermore don't steal cars, don't resist and and finally - don't be a focking dirtybag!

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Gosh, we would never want to hurt a criminal, would we. We should be nice and gentle with them, and make it as comfortable for them as possible in prison with three nice meals a day, cable tv, a gym so they can turn themselves into gladiators, and the opportunity to take college courses.
It seems like the media tries to make people who have honest jobs and a decent income feel bad or guilty about it. And when some jackass like this happens to get video taped at A BAD ANGLE that really doesn't show what's going on, we are all supposed to shit ourselves with outrage and sympathy.
Tell you what, if this guy was busting into my car and I caught him, he would have wished those police officers were there.

FRENCHIE
06-24-2004, 07:17 AM
once again too much attention to the police and not the law breaker!!:rolleyes:

Essex502
06-24-2004, 07:32 AM
When a citizen of a society steps beyond the rules of society in my opinion they shouldn't be granted the rights they had within the society. They have stated by their actions that they won't abide by the rules so why should society afford them any rights at all? What about the rights of those that do abide by society's rules? What about the victim's rights? I say "lay into the perp!" For those liberal asses that have the bleeding hearts - call a lawyer when someone is breaking into your house or steals your car.
Cops get shit upon by a bunch of second-guessing bystanders who wouldn't lift a hand to help someone being attacked - "ooohhh, I didn't want to get involved" - but cries "foul" when a LEO comes and takes care of business. Go do the job and then see how fast you judge what these guys have to due and deal with every day.
The media is the worst as they feed off the misery of others. The make money the more sensational the accusations are.

Dave C
06-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Here is how the police do it in Berkeley, CA:
cop: Please, please Mr. Badman, would you kindly get on the ground and put down that gun, if its not too much trouble?
suspect: screw you (brandishes gun)
cop: (reaches for gun, which is not there because the city council took it away) Please Mr. Badman, don't hurt me.
This is where you guys are heading.
FYI, don't go into East Oakland and Berkeley after dark.!

NastyOne
06-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
What ever happen to the good ole days
YOU STOLE A HORSE YOU GOT YOUR ASS HUNG
Thats what im sayin'. He is lucky they didnt just pop a cap in his ass.

KrazyKa
06-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
If you saw the video, it's pretty clear that one cop was way out of line. Suspect had dropped to the ground face first and had 3 cops on him and one standing near his head when the cop in question took some serious shots at his head and upper body with his flashlight.
Have you ever tried to put someone in handcuffs?

Cantrip
06-24-2004, 01:36 PM
And like I said, they guy had few if any injuries !!! He didnt get beat !!
Treat him like a "king" ........ that is one of the funniest things I have ever heard !!! :D

Kilrtoy
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Have you ever tried to put someone in handcuffs?
Yes I have, my wife, and she fights like a mother F$%#er.
Why does everyone keep saying asswhooping,
That guy DID NOT GET BEAT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
He should be glad he did not get his ass whooped .:D