PDA

View Full Version : Dog Vomit mold

GBLASER
06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with boats but I need answers.
Just had new sod installed about 4 weeks ago in my back yard. Looks great but about a week ago i started getting these whiteish piles in the grass. I thought that my dog was barfing but the piles did not smell. I kept him off the yard and they still appeared. They look just like slimey piles of barf. I was on the internet last night searching for anything about dog vomit....nothing. Then I finally found a link about "dog vomit mold" HOLY SHIT THAT IS IT....They also call it slime mold. It did not mention a cure or treatment.
Has anyone else ever had this and if so how do you treat it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

HCS
06-24-2004, 06:42 AM
I just put down sod 3 weeks ago. I don't have a dog but I have
mushrooms growing. I have to pick them out every morning until
I mow for the first time.
I think you'll have to do the samething. Your just going to have
to clean it out everytime you see it.:yuk: :yuk:
This goes great with my breakfast.:D

JetBoatRich
06-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Never heard of it, any pictures?
My problem is the grass they kill from pissing on it:yuk:

GBLASER
06-24-2004, 07:04 AM
I too had mushrooms for a couple of weeks........then this stuff. I am going to call the sod company that the gardner got the sod from..... Don't have any pics but do a search for slime mold and you will find it. When it is wet it looks just like ground up cottage cheese. After it dries a bit it has a slimey inside with hard brown clumps. It is the wierdest stuff, and it is only on the tops of the grass.

HCS
06-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by GBLASER
I too had mushrooms for a couple of weeks........then this stuff. I am going to call the sod company that the gardner got the sod from.....
Mold is going to be normal until you cut the watering back.

GBLASER
06-24-2004, 07:09 AM
I've already cut the watering in half since the new sod.?

HCS
06-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Not sure. They told me to water three times a day, ten minutes at
a time for three weeks. Then cut it back to twice a day for a
couple weeks, then once a day for awhile. Then every other day
after that.
That's a lot of water so that's why I have shrooms. They said
they'll go away when I cut back the water. Which is obvious.
Dog barf mold.:confused:

BigDogIvan
06-24-2004, 07:21 AM
My problem is the grass they kill from pissing on it:yuk: [/B][/QUOTE]
This is going to sound funny but it does help the yellow spots.
Go to your local grocery store and get Tomato Juice. Most stores
have there own brand thats cheeper than the rest. My dog runs
about 130 right now so I give him about a cup on his food each
night. Smaller dogs you can give less to according to there size.
It may take a couple of days to see the difference but the spots
won't be as bad. Has to be juice, not V-8 or anything like that.
Good Luck!!
BD

Mandelon
06-24-2004, 07:22 AM
It is a fungus. Like a basidiospore, (mushroom) is a fungus as well. They grow under the right conditions. They sporulate easily and often increase sporulation when faced with drying out.
You should be able to get rid of it as the moisture level drops as your new lawn matures and needs less water. the spores, which are essentially seeds, float through the air normally, a part of nature. Mold and fungi are part of nature's way of consuming old plant materials and without that function we would be up to our eyeballs in old leaves, weeds and grass clippings.
They are not known to be harmful, just ugly. Dig it out with a shovel and replace that section. Reduce the watering and they should cease to grow. different molds need differing levels of moisture. so depending on how much water there is different things can grow.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
06-24-2004, 07:22 AM
I has mushrooms in my sod too. I got sick of picking them so one day I just mowed over them. DON'T DO THIS. Those suckers spread like wildfire. I had to pick em out one by one by the hundreds. I finally got rid of them, but every once in a while one will still pop up. Never had slime mold - sounds gross!

Essex502
06-24-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't know if it works for slime mold but for other pests and fungus I used to use Diazanon sprayed 2 or 3 times a year at a delivery rate 3 or 4 times as strong as recommended. Keeps the grass from getting dead, yellow patches from fungus and cuts the ant population as well. Now I have to use Triazanon as it seems the Diazanon is no longer available.

Dave C
06-24-2004, 07:30 AM
shrooms... sell those bad boys. .:rolleyes: It should help pay for your boat insurance.
There now this thread is related to boats

JetBoatRich
06-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by BigDogIvan
This is going to sound funny but it does help the yellow spots.
Go to your local grocery store and get Tomato Juice. Most stores
have there own brand thats cheeper than the rest. My dog runs
about 130 right now so I give him about a cup on his food each
night. Smaller dogs you can give less to according to there size.
It may take a couple of days to see the difference but the spots
won't be as bad. Has to be juice, not V-8 or anything like that.
Good Luck!!
BD [/B][/QUOTE
Tomato juice, never heard of that:D do you serve it bloody mary style for them:rolleyes:
We will give it a shot, anything if it works.:D

Debbolas
06-24-2004, 08:24 AM
My dog barfed in our boat the first time we took him out....
Note: to Deb, don't feed dog before we go out in the boat....
(very boat related thread,now!)
:D

Phat Matt
06-24-2004, 08:34 AM
We had this stuff growing in our lawn overnight that looked like that spray foam insulation. A nice pile of it. It would start off gooey and by the end of the day it would dry out. Then when you touch it, it would turn to dust. It was really kinda wierd. It hasn't happened for about a year though.

GBLASER
06-24-2004, 08:45 AM
OK I found someone at a nursery that knew this stuff...She said that if I cut the watering to once a day, in the morning, that would help control it. I will probably still need to spray a fungicide though.
HEY PHAT THAT IS THE SAME STUFF!!!!! did you get it when you were watering alot? did you treat it at all or did it just go away?
It cracks me up how much information can be found on these forums," DOG VOMIT MOLD" now that is a all time high.(or low)
Thanks for the help!

WaterBox
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Don't water at night time.

Phat Matt
06-24-2004, 06:55 PM
OK I found someone at a nursery that knew this stuff...She said that if I cut the watering to once a day, in the morning, that would help control it. I will probably still need to spray a fungicide though.
HEY PHAT THAT IS THE SAME STUFF!!!!! did you get it when you were watering alot? did you treat it at all or did it just go away?
It cracks me up how much information can be found on these forums," DOG VOMIT MOLD" now that is a all time high.(or low)
Thanks for the help!
That's too funny! Did my description match it? It just went away because I forgot about it until this post. I was always confused about it though. It's wierd stuff. :)

GBLASER
06-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Your description was right on..Hopefully with the air getting a bit warmer it will just go away

Phat Matt
06-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Your description was right on..Hopefully with the air getting a bit warmer it will just go away
I did some research on the internet about it and one site said in Mexico they will go out at night to find it, take it home and cook it up like scrambled eggs. :yuk: :)

Mrs. Psycho Squid
06-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
I did some research on the internet about it and one site said in Mexico they will go out at night to find it, take it home and cook it up like scrambled eggs. :yuk: :)
Mmmm.... what time is dinner? :yuk:

1stepcloser
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Look something like this?.....
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/fuligo2a.jpg

Phat Matt
06-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Look something like this?.....
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/fuligo2a.jpg
doesn't that picture just want to make you want to go out and harvest it for food? yummy :yuk:

phebus
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure if you mixed it with Goose, the Death Row Boys would drink it :D

Phat Matt
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
In order to understand the slime molds you have to know something about their vegetative structure. They exist in nature as a plasmodium, a blob of protoplasm without cell walls and only a cell membrane to keep everything in. It is really nothing but a large amoeba and feeds much the same way, by engulfing its food (mostly bacteria) with pseudopodia. You may know this process as phagocytosis. So the slime mold ingests its food then digests it. You may recall that true fungi have a cell wall and digest their food with exoenzymes before ingesting it. The plasmodia you see here actually belong to another slime mold, Physarum polycephalum. The plasmodium of Fuligo septica is transparent, like an egg white. In fact the plasmodium is gathered and eaten in Mexico! Usually the plasmodium comes out at night and is collected by moonlight in jars. The plasmodia are brought home, where they are mixed and eaten like scrambled eggs!! If you've been reading my web pages, you know that corn smut is another unusual fungus that's also eaten in Mexico.
What's wrong with people? :confused: :eek:

HCS
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm glad someone found a pic. Now I know what it looks like.:D

Lightning
06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Never heard of it, any pictures?
The spots in your grass from your dogs are due to their food. If you change their diet, you should not have a problem. I use Nature's Choice lamb and rice - no spots. I think it has to due with the nitrates in the food or something.

SoCalHD
06-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Every place in my yard my male Pit pisses is greener and taller than the rest of the grass! I know this because I watch him mark the same places every day. My neighbor keeps joking about putting some kind of sprinkler attachment on his unit.