PDA

View Full Version : Counterclockwise Drill Bits

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Where can I pick some up? I tried Home Depot, Kragen, Pep Boys and some other local hardware stores, and no dice.
I have a broken off stud in my intake manifold and really need to find some. Please let me know if you can help me out.
By the way, I am in San Diego. Thanks.
Justin

Jordy
06-24-2004, 08:50 AM
I got mine in an extractor kit from Snap On. They're sweet. Half the time you don't even have to use the extractor as the drill bit will take care of running the broken bolt out. :D

19cobaltcd
06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Sear is selling those kits now. Has kind of a drill then grabs the bolt and twist's it out.

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Ah, Sears. I will try them. I would try snap on but I don't have time to wait on shipping. I need to get the bronco running cause it's in they way of my boat and I have a trip scheduled for the 4th. Way to take it down to the last minute :(

Jordy
06-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Ah, Sears. I will try them. I would try snap on but I don't have time to wait on shipping.
Just look for a Snap On truck going down the road. They tend to make stops all over the place and usually have something like this if you don't find it at Sears.

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Just look for a Snap On truck going down the road. They tend to make stops all over the place and usually have something like this if you don't find it at Sears.
Ok, will do. This one is being a royal bitch. There is already a broken off easy out inside the hole I drilled. I am going to apply heat and then redrill nect to the extractor that's already impregnated....

rrrr
06-24-2004, 10:22 AM
You need some of this, the best stuff I have found for stuck bolts. Absolutely amazing how well it works. I sprayed some on the rusted bumper bolts of a '57 Chevy and after ten minutes of waiting they came right off.
AeroKroil (http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/35014000/kanopnlu.htm#anchor173855)

djdtpr
06-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I got mine in an extractor kit from Snap On. They're sweet. Half the time you don't even have to use the extractor as the drill bit will take care of running the broken bolt out. :D
Thats where i got mine from.They will be a little $ more than anywhere else but they do work well.

CA Stu
06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
http://www.jmtools.com
I have one of the 5 piece set (http://www.jmtools.com/details.asp?Itemid=12-2001) , used it several times.
I'm sure you know, but make sure you centerpunch the broken piece dead nuts center.
Cheers
CA Stu

Just Tool'n
06-24-2004, 06:29 PM
The part number is an EXDL10 , 5 diffrent round tapered extractors, c/w the correct LH drill bits for each extractor.
Most dealers tend to stock this item, due to the fact that they are so popular.
Here is a phone number for the San Diego branch office
877-777-1290
Tell them where you are at, & they can give you 2-3 diffrent phone numbers of dealers that are proablibly close to you.
Hope this helps.

Cheap Thrills
06-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Ok, will do. This one is being a royal bitch. There is already a broken off easy out inside the hole I drilled. I am going to apply heat and then redrill nect to the extractor that's already impregnated....
Ouch ! a broken bolt and an ez out broken off within said broken bolt :rolleyes: those ez outs are 10 times harder than any drill bit known to man.
I hate it when that happens. last time that happened to me I ended up drilling at an angle past the ez out in a few places with a small bit . once it was thoroughly wallowed completely out of shape the mess came out . thank the makers of heli coils .
Good luck with it .
C.T. :wink:

78Eliminator
06-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Just got the Snap-On set. I don't even want to use them, they looks so pretty.

CA Stu
06-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Before you go ape shit, there is such a thing as an easy out extractor.
Do a google search for "tap extractor" and you should have aplace to start from.
The last time I had to remove a broken tap, I used some needlenose (as a tap, sorta), a crescent wrench (to lock the needle nose jaws laterally, as a tap handle, sorta), and an 18 pack of Bud Light (as inspiration). Got that cocksucker out, too.
:)
Good Luck
CA Stu