PDA

View Full Version : Nautical Inn Sold !

fasthtm
04-05-2006, 06:48 AM
After almost two years of speculation, it's a done deal.
Nautical Inn Owner Jack Skinner announced on Tuesday that he and his partners had sold their stakes in the property to LH Ventures out of Scottsdale for about $16 million.
“That's not a precise number, but it's in that range,” said Skinner.
Skinner said the deal finally came together Tuesday afternoon, but several aspects of the finances wouldn't close until September, thus the imprecise sales figure.
Skinner, along with his partners Bill McReynolds, Joe Guilbault and Larry May, bought the Nautical Inn in 1997 for $2 million following a prolonged bankruptcy procedure. May died last year.
Skinner said he will remain as the hotel manager until the end of the month before stepping aside for the new hotel manager, Vern Porter. Skinner said he then would remain at the resort for the foreseeable future as a consultant to the business.
“This is a good deal,” said Skinner.
Other than Skinner, no other staffing changes are expected, he said.
“They'll want to take advantage of the experience here,” he said.
Skinner praised the staff, especially housekeeping, for their hard work over the years. Since the hotel's business is seasonal, relying on the summer boating season for most of its clientele, Skinner said some of the staff is periodically laid off and then called back. He noted that most of their housekeeping staff get a bonus and schedule their trips around the layoffs before showing up at the end of February to come back to work.
“We have pretty good people and we don't want to lose them,” he said. “It's great in this labor market to have staff you know comes back every year.”
While not a part of the deal that closed on Tuesday, the golf course also has been bought by LH Ventures. That deal closed on Feb. 28
“There are a few different partners in that deal, but it is the same company,” said Skinner.
While Skinner had plans to build another 30-suite building on the site of the old Tiki Terrace, he said he doesn't know what the new owners have in mind.
The hotel currently has 139 beachfront, lake-view rooms, a golf course, boat launch and other amenities.
One amenity is the Naked Turtle Bar, which Skinner said the hotel partners on with Craig Reynolds.
“We sold our end of the partnership,” he said. “Craig is keeping his half.”
The deal was about four years in the making, according to Skinner. LH Ventures bought one building and that sale included an option to buy the whole resort. That option was due to expire at the end of April.
“They cut it pretty close,” said Skinner. “And up until Monday I still wasn't sure they were going to close but everything came together.”
As for future development plans, Skinner said he doesn't know what the new owners will want to do with the property, but noted there are 11 undeveloped acres for them to work with.
The Nautical Inn rests on Arizona State Lands with a lease good through 2057. There also are two 10-year options that can be exercised on that lease.
However, the golf course lease is up in January 2015.
The Nautical Inn originally was built in 1963 prior to the founding of the city.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.

SummitKarl
04-05-2006, 07:52 AM
well we will see if it happens,
the last deal fell through (last minute) and the deal before that and the deal before that..
maybe this time it's for real :rolleyes:

OGShocker
04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
I hope they don't mess with the "Turtle". If they do we'll have to find some where else to slip INSman the roooophies! :crossx:

SummitKarl
04-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I hope they don't mess with the "Turtle". If they do we'll have to find some where else to slip INSman the roooophies! :crossx:
the heck with the rooooophies....can we slip him a sleeping pill.....he made me get up for work at 8 fricking AM this morning :rolleyes: :)

MrsSigEpMock
04-05-2006, 08:33 AM
well.... my sources say that they are going to tear it all down by the turtle and rebuild "phase 3". The turtle is going to stay but may be member's only (timeshare)...

OGShocker
04-05-2006, 08:38 AM
well.... my sources say that they are going to tear it all down by the turtle and rebuild "phase 3". The turtle is going to stay but may be member's only (timeshare)...
NOOOOOO!!!!!

phebus
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
I can't beleive they would make that "cash cow" members only.

MrsSigEpMock
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
and the timeshares are pushing 10K right now, but free launching (new ramps soon) 4 pools, all new beach area, storage, etc....
If you know anyone who is an "owner" there, start kissing a** now!

Magic34
04-05-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll be watching in 2 years to possibly pick up the pieces.

LHC30Victory
04-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't worry about "Members Only," Y'all can come as my guests :)

phebus
04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Don't worry about "Members Only," Y'all can come as my guests :)
Thanks, we'll put it on the tab :)

Throttle
04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I have been led to believe that the turtle is owned by someone different than the nautical. :idea:

AirtimeLavey
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
While I hope the turtle stays, with access for everyone, I'm glad to hear this finally happened. I can rest a little easier about having bought a timeshare there last year. :squiggle: :notam: :cool:

Beer Factor
04-05-2006, 10:58 AM
How is this going to effect the First Cabin Club owners? "boat ramps" ect. Anyone?

Bank Boy
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I have my timeshare ownership at a real good price.

SummitKarl
04-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I have been led to believe that the turtle is owned by someone different than the nautical. :idea:
correct!!!!!......I don't know how it will affect HIS lease but it's easy enough to find out.....I am sure nothing will change for this season.......it sure would be a big loss.....if you all only knew how much JUST THE TIP JAR made last year :rolleyes:

phebus
04-05-2006, 11:47 AM
if you all only knew how much JUST THE TIP JAR made last year :rolleyes:
They do know how to pour them. I've walked in there 20/20, and needed a white cane with a red tip to stumble out of there!

Throttle
04-05-2006, 12:09 PM
correct!!!!!......I don't know how it will affect HIS lease but it's easy enough to find out.....I am sure nothing will change for this season.......it sure would be a big loss.....if you all only knew how much JUST THE TIP JAR made last year :rolleyes:
I know how much it had the last weekend :rollside:

meaniam
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
After almost two years of speculation, it's a done deal.
Nautical Inn Owner Jack Skinner announced on Tuesday that he and his partners had sold their stakes in the property to LH Ventures out of Scottsdale for about $16 million.
“That's not a precise number, but it's in that range,” said Skinner.
Skinner said the deal finally came together Tuesday afternoon, but several aspects of the finances wouldn't close until September, thus the imprecise sales figure.
Skinner, along with his partners Bill McReynolds, Joe Guilbault and Larry May, bought the Nautical Inn in 1997 for $2 million following a prolonged bankruptcy procedure. May died last year.
Skinner said he will remain as the hotel manager until the end of the month before stepping aside for the new hotel manager, Vern Porter. Skinner said he then would remain at the resort for the foreseeable future as a consultant to the business.
“This is a good deal,” said Skinner.
Other than Skinner, no other staffing changes are expected, he said.
“They'll want to take advantage of the experience here,” he said.
Skinner praised the staff, especially housekeeping, for their hard work over the years. Since the hotel's business is seasonal, relying on the summer boating season for most of its clientele, Skinner said some of the staff is periodically laid off and then called back. He noted that most of their housekeeping staff get a bonus and schedule their trips around the layoffs before showing up at the end of February to come back to work.
“We have pretty good people and we don't want to lose them,” he said. “It's great in this labor market to have staff you know comes back every year.”
While not a part of the deal that closed on Tuesday, the golf course also has been bought by LH Ventures. That deal closed on Feb. 28
“There are a few different partners in that deal, but it is the same company,” said Skinner.
While Skinner had plans to build another 30-suite building on the site of the old Tiki Terrace, he said he doesn't know what the new owners have in mind.
The hotel currently has 139 beachfront, lake-view rooms, a golf course, boat launch and other amenities.
One amenity is the Naked Turtle Bar, which Skinner said the hotel partners on with Craig Reynolds.
“We sold our end of the partnership,” he said. “Craig is keeping his half.”
The deal was about four years in the making, according to Skinner. LH Ventures bought one building and that sale included an option to buy the whole resort. That option was due to expire at the end of April.
“They cut it pretty close,” said Skinner. “And up until Monday I still wasn't sure they were going to close but everything came together.”
As for future development plans, Skinner said he doesn't know what the new owners will want to do with the property, but noted there are 11 undeveloped acres for them to work with.
The Nautical Inn rests on Arizona State Lands with a lease good through 2057. There also are two 10-year options that can be exercised on that lease.
However, the golf course lease is up in January 2015.
The Nautical Inn originally was built in 1963 prior to the founding of the city.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.
wow bought that place for 2 mil. what a steal nowdays.held on to it 10years made 14million

Procraftkev
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
There tearing down the old rooms to build new units,Wont be members only.There giving us owners the option to purchase hotal rooms in the new buildings by the time shares. 60/40 split :cool:

shadow
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I posted on this several months ago.I heard months ago that the sale was
getting close and pretty much a done deal.Now it's final.Also heard several months ago that the new owners plan is to level the Turtle and the whole corner and build more rooms/suites.I'm sure they will have a bar for guests & visitors,Like the Turtle?I doubt it probablly more of a hotel bar like Martini Bay.
I wouldn't worry about it this season,but don't be suprised when you come back next season.

BajaMike
04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
and the timeshares are pushing 10K right now, but free launching (new ramps soon) 4 pools, all new beach area, storage, etc....
If you know anyone who is an "owner" there, start kissing a** now!
I believe that when I see it....you notice the time share is not mentioned in the press release..... :idea:
:rollside: