PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds...

Cole
04-05-2006, 07:15 AM
A question for you guys...I have a 71 Kona with an olds that has been sitting around for a few seasons. My parents bought it new in 1971 and its the boat I grew grew up in.
Not long ago this was my baby, it has new paint, interior even had a blown 509 in it for fun, but I dont use it anymore.
I need the 509 for my other boat and was thinking about reinstalling the Olds but it needs to be gone through....$1300 for a rebuild. I talked a rebuilder and they have a long block 454 chevy 4 bolt for $1900 bucks.
Should I rebuild the olds or buy the long block Chevy?
I could part out the olds also if thats the avenue i decide to go!!
anyone else have a motor for sale?

malcolm
04-05-2006, 07:55 AM
So it has a Chevy in it now? If so, just keep it chevy.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
If it's rigged up for a chevy, I'd leave it that way and put the 454 in it. I'll bet you still find yourself hot-rodding either motor to some extent, and the Chevy will be simpler/easier at it. I'm sure you can spread the 455 parts arround here and recoup some of your expenses.
Personally, I'd try to find a used 454/502 MkIV/GenVI 2-bolt or 4-bolt and build it up myself. That way I tolerance it just how I want it, get the parts & want, the CR I want, etc. IMO, a forged crank just isn't needed in an average (or even above average) lake boat, the Cast steel ones can be pushed mighty hard at reasonable revs (under 5500 to 6-grand).
By the way, in the How To section, there's a thread on an article in Chevy-Hi-Performance magazine (current issue) on making a MkIV 2-bolt into a 4-bolt, with the stock caps, under $300 (or so depending on your machinist). I posted the thread from a mag I had on loan a few weeks ago.
My Taylor is the boat I grew up in as well, extra congratulations on the family legacy. I've been slowly upgrading the stock 454 the last 2 winters, as budget permits, then enjoy all summer. Next winter will finish it. Other things are being refurbished as well each year. Next winter should finish ALL of it. It's a sickness. :220v:

starbuck
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
id keep the chevy in it. i just got done building an olds 462ci, no problems with it but i wont build another. im sticking with chevy :cool: