PDA

View Full Version : Blythe hot spots and sand bars?

casean
06-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Just bought our first jet boat last weekend and are heading out to Blythe tonight. This is going to be our first time on the water in this area of Blythe. We've been on the water between Blythe and Walter's camp, but never north.
So I was wondering if anyone can give me some the low down on spots to hit up or sand bars to stop at? We are staying and launching at Aha Quin. I'd prefer to head up river if possible.
Thanks,

summerlove
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
I hear the Jack in the Box in Blythe really gets hopping around 8:30.....;)
Actually, other than passing thru, can't help you out at all...sorry!

RexRathburn
06-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi there casean,
Some friends of mine have a place at Aha Quin...it's a great spot.
I am really bad with the names of areas out there, but up river from Aha, there is a big sand bar in the middle of the river where a lot of people hang out (it only takes a minute to get there). If you are up for a good drive, there is a cool sand bar just above Lost Lake. You can pull around the back of it in a little lagoon...it's a good time.
There are a few good spots down river from Aha Quin also. I'm not sure what campground it is, but there is a jetty sticking out and when you pass the end of it look to your left. It is one big sandbar that has a narrow channel the runs between it and the bank.
It's shallow out there, so watch out for stumps. Some are marked and some aren't.
Have a great time. I will be out there for the 4th of July weekend.

casean
06-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks Rex. I'll be sure to watch out for stumps and anything else that manages to climb above the water line.
This being our first trip out, I want to stick to going up river. So the two sand bars you mentioned sound great.
Aha Quin is a great place. Can't beat having an outside bar.
Have a good and safe 4th out there.

summerlove
06-25-2004, 11:17 AM
didn't like my suggestion...oh well! LOL;)

casean
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
didn't like my suggestion...oh well! LOL;)
Only if they have a drive-through on the water :)

Nubbs
06-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by casean
Thanks Rex. I'll be sure to watch out for stumps and anything else that manages to climb above the water line.
Watch out for stuff just below the water line too. My first time to Blythe I ran over a tree branch. I was just idling along, watching for shallow water. All the sudden my boat rocked from left to right. I didn't see anything so I thought it was just a wake. Well, on my way back I noticed it was a big a$$ tree under water about 12". Fortunately there was no damage. Have fun with the new boat.
Nubbs

Danhercules
06-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Remeber the water is high in the morn and goes down as the day goes on. Lowest about sunset. You really get a chance to learn the river with the water down.
My 1st trip was last weekend there. I was at Twin Palms.
The sand bar just above Aha Quin in nice. The one above lost lakes is killer too.
Some stumps marked with white fenders. Just follow another boat if your not sure.

casean
06-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys. So here is what I have learned so far for this weekend is:
1. Head up to sand bar by Lost Lake
2. Head back down to sand bar by Aha
3. Avoid all white painted objects in and out of the water
4. Avoid all objects in water and see #3 again
5. Trailer boat before low water level @ sunset
6. Jack in the Box goes off around 8:30