PDA

View Full Version : Sad News: Lost A Professional Driver Today

LakesOnly
06-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Friends,
Today Billy Sterett, Jr., son of Billy Sterret, Sr./Driver of Miss Bud in 1969, died today during a test-outting in Kentucky.
Among his very many accomplishments as a driver, Billy Sterett, Jr. was named to the Gulf Driver's Racing Hall of Fame in the late sixties, was the President's Cup Winner in 1972 while driving Miss Pay 'N' Pak, and much more.
Billy Junior has been carving out his return to boat racing with a new (& revived) team once again using Lauterbach Hydros. When Miss Bud came to the Afterbay earlier this year, I shot video and had it transferred to DVD and sent to Kentucky for my friend Charlie and the others to view.
My friend Charlie is a respected engine builder on the east coast. He has known the Steretts for decades; he and Billy Junior were college roommates. Charlie has been building the blown Hemi's for the new team. In Charlie's words:
"I finished his engine Thursday and he put it in his hydroplane Friday. We took his boat to the river today and it did fine. Something about the engine was getting tight so I was going to pull it back out and check the bearings. Bill had a friend of his with another hydroplane down there, and that guy offered to let Bill drive his boat. Bill jumped at the chance and while he was out running around 130 mph or so, he nosed it under and it threw him out. We got him to the shore and he was still breathing but unconsious.
He died on the way to the hospital.
Of course I'm still in shock and I haven't cried yet. I want you to be extremely careful everytime you go out!"
I wish the entire Starett family my deepest condolences. Boat racing is in their blood and it shows from one generation to the next.
Paul aka LakesOnly
p.s. I'd like to add that just two weeks ago I was in a boat that had a component failure at 70 mph that all the safety inspection in the world would not have uncovered until the split-second that the part failed. We can never be to careful. Life is short; make it last so that it can be enjoyed.

dmontzsta
06-26-2004, 07:56 PM
This is truely sad news. Thoughts are prayers to his family.

LakesOnly
06-27-2004, 12:23 AM
For decades, the Sterett family has been one of the best known and most respected families in the APBA and the Unlimited Hydroplane Commission.
Says Charlie: "Bill never knew the word 'fear'. The boat was airborne and then nosed in and threw him out the front. I saw it all and I still thought he was going to be alright with maybe a couple of busted ribs, but it was much worse than that."
Billy had dropped out of racing in response to his wife's request...due to their kids. Now that the kids are on their own, Bill's passion was to take center stage. Four hemi's were in the process of being built for the two Lauterbach Hydros.
LO

BILLY.B
06-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
Billy had dropped out of racing in response to his wife's request...due to their kids.
LO Everytime I read this I get chill's. Sorry to hear about this. I remember reading about this family when I was a kid. My condolences go out to his family and friends. I lost 6 customers/ friends in dragboats back in 1986 and it just makes you sick. I think about the safety aspect everytime I go out and run around to the point where I sometimes think it gets in the way....... "But as you say you can never be to careful" !!!!!

Infomaniac
06-27-2004, 02:14 PM
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Da-Bull
06-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Paul, I am so ,sorry to hear the bad news of your friend. My prayers are with you and prayers and codlences to bills family and loved ones. Truely a sad day in the boat racing world. God bless and comfort everyone who knew him in this sad time.
Da-Bull:( :( :(