PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires??

riverracerx
04-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I need new tires on the trailer. What is a good price?
I just got quoted $599.00 OTD from Discount Tire in Havasu for
215/75/14 Carlisle radial tires.
Good/Bad?? Got a better suggestion for where to go in Havasu for tires?
Thanks!

Warlockjer
04-05-2006, 09:50 AM
They say will beat anyones price. I've done alright by them :)

Beer-30
04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I like the Tow Master brand. Have had no come-backs at the shop from them. Blew up several Goodyear Marathons. They stack them wrong.
Tow Masters are lined up sideways to prevent early separations.
Haven't heard good/bad on the Carlisle. Never sold any.

charlyox
04-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I had Carlisle tires on my Exrtreme trailer and 3 out of 4 blewout/came apart. I went with Goodyear Marathons. I think it was less than $4oo for the set.

BarryMac
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I second the Tow Masters, had Carlisles before and had three blow outs with them, I think I paid about 400 for my trailer tires from Discount, I can find the invoice if you like...

PHX ATC
04-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Find some old Firestones from the Explorer recalls and use them. They work great. :crossx:

Jordy
04-05-2006, 10:04 AM
The Discount in Havi put trailer tires on mine in December on the trip from hell. Seems like it was around $400 for all 4 with the certificates. Went with the Carlisles and haven't had any problems. On a 15" wheel though I believe.

riverracerx
04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh by the way, it is for 6 tires. Don't think I mentioned that.
And the boat only tows to the ramp and back anyway. Suprised how the heat and sitting can destroy garaged tires on a trailer.
The ones I have now are going into their 6th season. And they are Carlisle's from Nordic.

NOTALENT
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I went to the Big O Tire in havi....I had the Carlisles on my trailer...blew 2 in one day....When I went to get my new ones....the guy said that carlisles were the worst trailer tire......I got 5 brand new tow masters....went out last weekend....not even 100 miles on the tires....as I was leaving Havi right by Sara Park, I HAD A FOCKIN BLOW OUT!!!! :mad: I will be back there this weekend to share my rage!

rich seibert
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
i just got a set of 4 215/75/14 Carlisle bias tires. i paid 51.50 before tax came to 212.?? w/ tax from henderson tire co 717 564 4647
they don`t stock them but always have it for next day p/u
i run these on my open car trailer ,they were very good to me. these were 8 ply non radial
HOW many ply on the radials?? i never check ??

me4drvr
04-05-2006, 10:50 AM
$444 OTD for Maxxus Radial tires from Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel... they will smoke all over the Carlise and Goodyear's, have had them on my trailer and tow 80MPH with no probs....

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Trailer Tires are junk nomatter how you smoke them !!!
They are less than third rate tires. Put a 80K mile automotive tire on and forget about it !!!

AirtimeLavey
04-05-2006, 10:54 AM
$444 OTD for Maxxus Radial tires from Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel... they will smoke all over the Carlise and Goodyear's, have had them on my trailer and tow 80MPH with no probs....
I like these, too, and I tow everywhere. I think it's Maxxis, though. Worth finding them, and looking into. Have yet to hear anything good about Carlisles, and have had 2 blowouts on same drive, once.

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 10:55 AM
The Discount in Havi put trailer tires on mine in December on the trip from hell. Seems like it was around $400 for all 4 with the certificates. Went with the Carlisles and haven't had any problems. On a 15" wheel though I believe.
I blew two brand spankin new ones a week ago coming here from Fallbrook.
Trailer tires suck !!! :yuk:

Magic34
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I went to the Big O Tire in havi....I had the Carlisles on my trailer...blew 2 in one day....When I went to get my new ones....the guy said that carlisles were the worst trailer tire......I got 5 brand new tow masters....went out last weekend....not even 100 miles on the tires....as I was leaving Havi right by Sara Park, I HAD A FOCKIN BLOW OUT!!!! :mad: I will be back there this weekend to share my rage!
You curb it at all???

Jordy
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Put a 80K mile automotive tire on and forget about it !!!
I suppose that's fine if you're towing a potato chip around. ;)

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Trailer tires suck !!! They are designed to go strieght. They have lower load ratings. They have week side walls. They suck !!! :cool:

Magic34
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Make sure you at least have a load range D for what you are doing and I don't really think that the brand you have would even matter for what you are doing with it.
The current tires that you have on there (due to mfg. year) would have blown out by now if you trailered it more than 5 miles each time. Those Carlisles were garbage back between 1999 and 2003.
The new Carlisles are a different design than those in the past that were blowing out a lot.

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
I suppose that's fine if you're towing a potato chip around. ;)
Look at the load ratings, trailer tires are week !!!

Jordy
04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Trailer tires suck !!! :yuk:
Trailer tires suck !!! They suck !!! :cool:
I'm kind of lost on what you're trying to say here Jim. Perhaps if you posted it a few more times it might become clearer to some of us that haven't figured out what point you're trying to make. ;)

NOTALENT
04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
You curb it at all???
Nope...I towed it from my havasu house to windsor twice, then from windsor starting to go home....got to sara park and BOOM!!!! Smoke everywhere....good thing nobody was behind me..... :mad:

Jordy
04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
trailer tires are week !!!
What does 7 days have to do with anything??? :idea:

NOTALENT
04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
What does 7 days have to do with anything??? :idea:
haha...Thats about as long as it lasted... :rollside:

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm kind of lost on what you're trying to say here Jim. Perhaps if you posted it a few more times it might become clearer to some of us that haven't figured out what point you're trying to make. ;)
Thank you Jordy I think you helped clarify it a little better

Jordy
04-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Thank you Jordy I think you helped clarify it a little better
Perhaps when you get all the bugs worked out of your hovercraft trailer you'll share the secret with the rest of us. For now, I guess we'll just have to stick with trailer tires. ;)

91nordic29
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
carlisle = maypops :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
carlisle = maypops :mad:
No, No, No !!!
Whenpops !!!

spectras only
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Used Goodyear Marathons for years . Never a problem . One must check max tire pressure when cold , not when it's been rolled to the gas station already ;) .

Flying Tiger
04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Proper tire pressure is the key to success.
Check it every time you head out.
A good tire gauge is essential.
And be sure you know what the pressure is REALLY supposed to be.

phebus
04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
And be sure you know what the pressure is REALLY supposed to be.
That is a good question, what is the proper pressure? I always ran the max pressure listed on the sidewall, but when I got new tires, the tire shop asked me what the approx weight of the loaded boat was, and the weight of the trailer. They figured the tire pressure according to the load on each tire, and reccomended a pressure for me to run. It was quite a bit less than the max on the sidewall.
Go figure, after all I've read, I still run the max on the sidewall, and always check pressure with the tires cold. Always had good luck (until I just said that probably) :)

Spotondl
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Never have had a Carlisle tire last a single season... but I also tow 600 miles round trip... There was a class action lawsuit against Carlisle a few years back because of their durability or lack thereof issues... Towmaster and forget it... Also, 6 automotive tires with a decent load rating would work fine unless you are towing a concrete boat... Think Jesse James has towmasters on his dubs?

rrrr
04-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Sounds like incorrect air pressure. I have used Carlisles for years and never lost one. I run 'em at 50 PSI.

purrfecttremor
04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Im thinking he means trailor tires suck!!!!!!! :)

NOTALENT
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Sounds like incorrect air pressure. I have used Carlisles for years and never lost one. I run 'em at 50 PSI.
They installed all 4 and the trailer tire....I saw them check pressure...and there less then a month old soooo I dunno.....

77charger
04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I recently bought some goodyear marathons in a load range D i paid around400 bucks otd.For a regular c range tire i think they were 10-15 bucks cheaper per tire from americas tire co.

77charger
04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
seem to have alot of problems with them when they are used on toyhaulers or travel trailers.They are known for blow outs and people know to check air pressure.Tires are not overloaded either in most cases.My neighbor lost 3 on one trip to glamis 1 blew the other 2 just about ready to(separated)

rrrr
04-05-2006, 06:23 PM
They installed all 4 and the trailer tire....I saw them check pressure...and there less then a month old soooo I dunno.....
After careful reconsideration, I decided the problem is from your habit of running over curbs every time you turn and aiming for potholes. :p :rollside:

NOTALENT
04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
After careful reconsideration, I decided the problem is from your habit of running over curbs every time you turn and aiming for potholes. :p :rollside:
haha...maybe 2 summers ago...but I am now too pro status for that.... :crossx:

Flying Tiger
04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Americas is the only tire store that I could find that offers a good warranty (beyond the lame worthless basic that comes with most tires) including road hazard.
"F" load rating is essential, if they have it in your rim size.
It tows awsum with the 85 lb TP.

Squirtin Thunder
04-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I hate doing this, I hate trailer Tires !!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1467-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1468-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1469-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1470-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1471-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1472-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1473-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict1474-med.jpg

boater012
04-08-2006, 08:27 AM
They are less than third rate tires. Put a 80K mile automotive tire on and forget about it !!!
We have a winner Jim you beat me to it again sir! I will never run trailer tires on a trailer save some money and some long term headaches and just take your wheels down to costco and buy some goodyears or bfgoodrich 80k automotive tires! They wont mount them up if they know its for a trailer at costco so you have to take them down there yourself!!! I have 5 shop trailers and 4 trailers under personal use boats!! only blowouts ive had in more towing than I care to remember was with trailer tires! usually getting new aquisitions home! Ive put 200k on my shop truck( 1975 f-250) and it never gets driven without a trailer hooked to it!!!