PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Computer Geeks

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm stumped on this printing problem I've been having lately. Any suggestions would be great.
I have an HP LaserJet5P that I have been using for about 5 years or so. Just recently it started having problems printing images and PDF files--the printer times out and errors before anything is printed.
I now have to go in and set the advanced settings for the 5P to "Raster" printing rather than "HP-GL/2" which is the default. This would be no big deal but I have to re-set it to Raster every time. Its a little bit of a pain. Why would this happen now and never before? Same computer for 2 years and printer for last 5 years. Did a windows update maybe change something that I didn't know about?
Thanks in advance for the help.
OL

Some Kind Of Monster
06-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Perhaps try wiping and reinstalling your HP software. This is strange indeed. I work with/on this stuff all the time. I'll do some research for you.

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
Perhaps try wiping and reinstalling your HP software. This is strange indeed. I work with/on this stuff all the time. I'll do some research for you.
I don't think I still have the software. You are talking about the drivers? I could probably get them from HP's web site?
Thanks for the help.
OL

C-2
06-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Maybe a software problem?
There are some many damn plugins and image viewers, you have to be careful not to allow the undesirable ones to become the default viewer or program/application.
Maybe a program is defaulting you to new printer settings?
I've only ran inkjets for the past 5 years - I know if that damn cable ribbon gets dirty - it has to be cleaned with rubbing alcohol. That stupid fix has saved me countless hours of frustration.

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 10:40 PM
I just updated the driver and in the process figured out how to make raster the default so I don't have to re-set it every time. If the driver doesn't fix it then the raster setting will at least make it easier for me to print.
Is the raster setting a lower quality print?
Thanks,
OL

MagicMtnDan
06-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I've got the exact same printer and I'm thinking of tossing it out. Let me know if you or anyone else wants it. I don't feel like buying any more cartridges for it.

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I've got the exact same printer and I'm thinking of tossing it out. Let me know if you or anyone else wants it. I don't feel like buying any more cartridges for it.
Mines got 77k pages on it and still going. When it dies I will buy another one similar to it. I don't think its an internal printer issue, I'm pretty sure its a software issue. Thanks for the offer but its probably not worth shipping to AZ.
OL

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Looks like the driver fixed it. Thanks SKOM!!! I knew I would find help here.
OL

C-2
06-26-2004, 10:51 PM
I believe raster and vector are graphic image settings, so something probably switced the printer's default settings, and after you re-loaded the driver it reset them (??)

Outnumbered
06-26-2004, 10:54 PM
It actually prints in raster or vector HP-GL/2 now. So I think the driver was corrupted somehow. I got a new driver from HPs website and its all good now. Thanks for the help.
OL

Some Kind Of Monster
06-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Awesome. I hoped it would be that easy. :wink:

BigBoyToys
06-27-2004, 05:59 AM
I have a HP JaserJet 4 Plus for sale CHEAP if anyone is interested. $75.00 + Shipping. Just replaced the Fuser and added a JetDirect Network card to it. Works perfectly. I purchased it along with some other printers in a LOT from a Bankruptcy auction and am sticking with the LJ 4000 instead of the 4+ Contact me at JimP@pritek.net if interested