PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive cooling/ Glass fuel tank questions?

JBUSAF
06-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Hey there, another couple questions, eventually I'll get this all figured out? A water line comes in at the shaft seal and goes to the right side of the v-drive from the rear. A line comes out the left of the v-drive and goes nowhere? Should it go to the the shaft log? There is a plug in the shaft log. How should this all be plumbed in? Additionally the drivers side tank has a very small leak where it is glassed in at the back, on the side, it just sort of seeped when there was fuel in the tank. Can I grind out the bad area and re-glass or do I have to cut out the old tanks and go for metal ones? Thanks for help!
JB

schiada96
06-27-2004, 06:22 PM
The v drive can be run with no water just switch to redline gear lube. The tanks if you are going to keep the boat should be replaced with aluminum tanks.
Jeff

SANGER-RICH
06-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
The v drive can be run with no water just switch to redline gear lube.
Jeff
Is there a certain redline gear lube as far as like there is with gear lube? 90?

GofastRacer
06-27-2004, 06:59 PM
If you're going to run water thru the v-drive, you should hava a small pickup thru the floor on the left of the v-drive with a line going to where that long line is now. The line on the right should be going to the shaft log where that pipe plug is. The shaft log stuffing box has a grease fitting on it that means it has a seal and does not need water going there. In fact if you get too much water pressure there you can blow the seal out!...As far as those tanks goes, get them suckas out of there and put aluminum ones in!...

JBUSAF
06-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I will try running without water using the Redline. I was in denial on ripping out the old tanks but I should order some to fit the size and shape of the sides.
Have a great day!
JB

Rexone
06-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Normally shaft log seals that have the fittings in them have mikarta bushing inside that "require" water. If you're not going to run water you will likely have to change shaft log seal assembly to the grease type which doesn't require water.

LeE ss13
06-28-2004, 06:13 AM
Here is the problem with OLD fiberglass gas tanks. The resins they used from the '60s to about the mid-70s don't do well with the pump gas of today. The reason is the additives. MTBE, or Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether will slowly break down the resins until very small pieces of fiberglass cloth will start showing up stuck in the needle and seats of your carburetor. No filter I have ever tried can stop them. Using Union 76 doesn't help much either because the Ethel Alcohol (Ethanol) does the same thing. Go with Stainless gas tanks. Give IMCO a call, they're local.