PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Accidents This Weekend

TCHB
06-27-2004, 06:44 PM
This weekend we saw a 28 cat style deck boat going in circles with nobody inside. The engine was reving at about 4,000rpm, and bimini top was torn off. The police boats cleared the area and just watched until the boat ran out of gas. I am not sure what happend???

Lake Pirate
06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
How weird? Sounds like they guy was thrown off? I had so many smart remarks run through my mind I couldn't even decide on one when I first read it.. Sorry...arguing on the internet does that to you. I hope he's ok.

Kachina26
06-27-2004, 06:57 PM
What day/time was this? That sounds crazy!!! I hope the ejectees weren't hurt too bad.

Starloans
06-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess cat style deck boats need lanyards too. I hope everyone is ok.
I saw the cops come blazing out of the channel bout 4 or so yesterday headed north. Later on I saw the meat wagon at Windsor with 1 in the back. Cop car had 2 headed out also. Not sure if it was related. I was thinking it was a lice wreck. Hope everyone is ok. :rolleyes:

RobR.
06-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I think we saw that boat being towed in by vessel assist. It was a Magic deck boat and the bimini top was ripped off. It also looked like there was a problem with the outdrive. The boat was white and purple. The vessel assist guy would not reply when we asked what had happened. It sure looked like he was not too concerned with not tearing it up. He ran it right up against the concrete wall north of the bridge.

Troubles No More
06-27-2004, 07:24 PM
We where at the Windsor ramp about 4/5 pm trying to load up the boat when we saw two police boats waiting for a Magic deck boat with a torn bimini top that was being towed in by tow service.

RobR.
06-27-2004, 07:27 PM
It was closer to 6.00pm when we saw it.

JetBoatRich
06-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Sounds like bad news:(

cola
06-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Thats why you don't get drunk & fight with your family. At least his wife & kid got off the boat first.
Late,

Huckleberry
06-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by cola
Thats why you don't get drunk & fight with your family. At least his wife & kid got off the boat first.
Late,
???????????????

JetBoatRich
06-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by cola
Late,
can you explain:confused:

InKahntrol
06-28-2004, 05:23 AM
We saw the boat running in circles as well, later in the day my dad spoke to a policeman on a boat in the channel, and he said that apparently a young guy was out on the boat alone, somehow managed to fall overboard, than for some reason swam back towards his own (now-abondoned but still running) boat. The officer said that in the process he lost an arm. Very sad deal. The police had to run a patrol boat right up along side, and have an officer jump into the magic to get it stopped.

SandbarScot
06-28-2004, 05:33 AM
Talk about a boat that costs you an arm and a leg!:frown:

Ziggy
06-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by InKahntrol
somehow managed to fall overboard, than for some reason swam back towards his own (now-abondoned but still running) boat. The officer said that in the process he lost an arm. Very sad deal. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Smart move:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nodigg
06-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Ya know, I don't see many drivers using leashes. It scares me to drive without mine even at low speeds. Are they too much bother?

HCS
06-28-2004, 07:50 AM
That sounds messed up.:(
One time a lady was setting on the edge of a boat, not in the seat.
She made a hard turn and flew out. They never found her body.
Fish food.
Stay down in your seat.:eek: :(

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Damn, lost his arm? Wow, that's heavy... boats can be dangerous, that's just tragic. He'll never be the same...

LaveyJet
06-28-2004, 08:49 AM
That makes me cringe why I read that.

FRENCHIE
06-28-2004, 08:55 AM
yea what he said!:(

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
That makes me cringe why I read that.
Yeah, I got a visual in my head right away... really brutal.

cola
06-28-2004, 11:29 AM
The guy was drunk and was running in circles at aprox 4k rpm's and was thrown through his bimney top. I think he was struck by the boat , not sure if he lost his arm. Like I said his wife or girl friend got off the boat & rode back on a ski.

RobR.
06-28-2004, 11:41 AM
It had to be pretty violent to be thrown thru a bimini top. When we saw the boat I thought that it had hit something. The bows for the bimini top got bent pretty bad and it looked like the top it self was ripped. I assumed it had hit a sandbar or another boat. That is a big boat to try and drive like a seadoo.

TCHB
06-28-2004, 12:11 PM
The way the boat looked you know some one had to hit it pretty hard. I did not know the guy lost his arm but I could see that happening if he tried to get back in the boat. The outdrive looked like it was pinned to one side further than normal. Maybe something broke a high speed and the boat changed directions??? Earlier in the day up by the sandbar their was another accident with a couple boats involved. I saw the helicopter up above the area but did not see what happened.

RobR.
06-28-2004, 12:33 PM
I did notice that the outdrive looked wrong. If the outdrive did break and cause the boat to violently turn that would explain how bad the bimini top looked. Either way it is terrible that he lost his arm over the whole deal. Not that it makes it any better but lucky no one else got hurt.

TCHB
06-28-2004, 12:38 PM
If the drive linkage broke would the torque cause the drive to one side.

copperrat20
06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't think so, but if he had it already turned than it might have stuck when it broke or he could have been straightening it out when it broke and it just jerked back to the side without him expecting it.

copperrat20
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
so what happened? Did the cops let it run out of gas or did the patrol boat get up close enough for someone to jump on? Two different stories have been told?:rolleyes:

Tremor Girl
06-28-2004, 01:08 PM
They stopped the boat by throwing bouys with long ropes in front of the boats path. After about the seventh try, they finally snagged and tangled the prop until the boat stopped.

RobR.
06-28-2004, 01:10 PM
That would explain why the outdrive was broke.

tree993
06-28-2004, 02:17 PM
An Article from Havasu's News-Herold
An accident Wednesday evening on the Colorado River north of Parker Dam took the life of one boater and left several people injured.
Emergency personnel from Lake Havasu City, Mohave and La Paz counties, as well as from San Bernardino, Calif., responded to the accident site north of Havasu Springs near Cattail Cove State Park, according to the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department.
The two boats collided: One boat had six people aboard while the other had two.
A juvenile died at the scene, said Lt. Bill Maddox, SBSD, Needles Office. A male in critical condition and the six others involved - four adults and two juveniles - were transported by boat to Contact Point, then taken by ambulances to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center.
At least one of the operators attempted to swerve out of the way, Maddox said.
One boat - the one that had been carrying six people - was traveling in a circle and several of the people involved were waiting for help on the shore when personnel started to arrive.
Authorities were trying to determine whether another person had been on one of the boats when the collision occurred.
Further details, including the names of the people involved, weren't available as the Today's News-Herald went to press Wednesday evening. San Bernardino authorities will continue investigating the collision.
Here's the second article...
Body of second boating victim found
By Sharon Dunham
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 11:22 PM MDT
Officials recovered the body of a 48-year-old California man on Tuesday, nearly a week after he fell from a boat in an accident that killed his 10-year-old son and left an older son in fair condition at a Las Vegas hospital.
Steven Patchett's body surfaced near the scene of the two-boat collision in the Colorado River between the Arizona and California shorelines across from the Havasu Palms resort, said Sgt. Church Willis with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the agency conducting the search by boat and with a dive team. The body was found at 12:30 p.m.
Willis said that searches for a body in the water usually take between three and five days, depending on the heat and on what the victim ate before the accident. Sometimes, officials need as long as two weeks to find victims if they're hung up on something underwater, he said.
At least a half-dozen divers with the county dive team searched underwater from the time of the accident last Wednesday, but suspended diving because of heavy boat traffic Saturday and Sunday. However, officials continued a surface water search on the weekend, Willis said.
Patchett and his sons, of Moorpark, Calif., were on a 32-foot catamaran when it collided with a speedboat carrying six Corona, Calif., passengers about 6 p.m. Tyler Patchett, 10, was ejected and died at the scene. His brother, Stephan, 18, was listed Tuesday in fair condition with head injuries at the Las Vegas University Medical Center.
Passengers on the second boat - a 23-foot Magic speedboat - received only minor injuries
The boys' 12-year-old sister, Kalen, and their mother, Sheila, were at the Black Meadow Landing resort about 20 miles away when the crash occurred.
Though the Patchetts are divorced, they frequently vacationed together, neighbors said.
The driver of the boat that struck Patchett's told police he had been drinking before the high-speed crash, said Sgt. Phil Odom of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. The preliminary investigation indicated alcohol might be a factor in the collision, authorities said.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Boating Accident Investigation Team is investigating the accident.

LASERRAY
06-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by tree993
An Article from Havasu's News-Herold
An accident Wednesday evening on the Colorado River north of Parker Dam took the life of one boater and left several people injured.
Emergency personnel from Lake Havasu City, Mohave and La Paz counties, as well as from San Bernardino, Calif., responded to the accident site north of Havasu Springs near Cattail Cove State Park, according to the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department.
The two boats collided: One boat had six people aboard while the other had two.
A juvenile died at the scene, said Lt. Bill Maddox, SBSD, Needles Office. A male in critical condition and the six others involved - four adults and two juveniles - were transported by boat to Contact Point, then taken by ambulances to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center.
At least one of the operators attempted to swerve out of the way, Maddox said.
One boat - the one that had been carrying six people - was traveling in a circle and several of the people involved were waiting for help on the shore when personnel started to arrive.
Authorities were trying to determine whether another person had been on one of the boats when the collision occurred.
Further details, including the names of the people involved, weren't available as the Today's News-Herald went to press Wednesday evening. San Bernardino authorities will continue investigating the collision.
Here's the second article...
Body of second boating victim found
By Sharon Dunham
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 11:22 PM MDT
Officials recovered the body of a 48-year-old California man on Tuesday, nearly a week after he fell from a boat in an accident that killed his 10-year-old son and left an older son in fair condition at a Las Vegas hospital.
Steven Patchett's body surfaced near the scene of the two-boat collision in the Colorado River between the Arizona and California shorelines across from the Havasu Palms resort, said Sgt. Church Willis with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the agency conducting the search by boat and with a dive team. The body was found at 12:30 p.m.
Willis said that searches for a body in the water usually take between three and five days, depending on the heat and on what the victim ate before the accident. Sometimes, officials need as long as two weeks to find victims if they're hung up on something underwater, he said.
At least a half-dozen divers with the county dive team searched underwater from the time of the accident last Wednesday, but suspended diving because of heavy boat traffic Saturday and Sunday. However, officials continued a surface water search on the weekend, Willis said.
Patchett and his sons, of Moorpark, Calif., were on a 32-foot catamaran when it collided with a speedboat carrying six Corona, Calif., passengers about 6 p.m. Tyler Patchett, 10, was ejected and died at the scene. His brother, Stephan, 18, was listed Tuesday in fair condition with head injuries at the Las Vegas University Medical Center.
Passengers on the second boat - a 23-foot Magic speedboat - received only minor injuries
The boys' 12-year-old sister, Kalen, and their mother, Sheila, were at the Black Meadow Landing resort about 20 miles away when the crash occurred.
Though the Patchetts are divorced, they frequently vacationed together, neighbors said.
The driver of the boat that struck Patchett's told police he had been drinking before the high-speed crash, said Sgt. Phil Odom of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. The preliminary investigation indicated alcohol might be a factor in the collision, authorities said.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Boating Accident Investigation Team is investigating the accident. Thanks for the post, but that was Last Week's Accident.:rolleyes: