PDA

View Full Version : brendella 2" runner, how fast before they get flighty? need some advise HELP!!

Da-Bull
06-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I am thinking of a new motor this winter. Thinking 468 BBC 13 or 14.1 comp. tunnell ram, 1050 dominators, roller motor. Maybe even a 540 BBC. I am running a 460 BBC now dynoed at close to 600 HP. runs about 96 to 97 mph. Does anyone know at about what speed those 2" runner's get flighty? I have heard alot of of different things. and any sugestions of motor combos to get me into the 9 sec to 8.90 sec bracket? The boat handles great now, but any advise would appreciated. I also plan on working over the hull and speed coating the bottom as well. I have a lot to learn in this boat race scene.
Thanks, Da-Bull:D :D

Dave Sammons
06-28-2004, 07:31 AM
I did some work for a guy who had a 2" runner Brendella. He was doing about the same thing you're proposing. Rebuilt his downpedal assy(the downpedal is your friend, especially with a 2" runner!), and put a whirlaway in the v-drive. As I remember, I only put the plates up about an 1/8th. The boat, as you say, was very predictable and felt very stable. He built a 496 roller motor for it and ran in the low 9's. The main thing is you want the boat to ride fairly flat and let the runners do their job, you don't want it sett'in way back on the tail like a XH 5-11 Hondo. Most of those boats were set up to go racing, so everything should be in the right place to run 115-120mph. It would be interesting to know where the strut/motor/v-drive are in the thing.

LeE ss13
06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Call Auto Marine Engineering in Glendora CA. Talk to Tom Label. He drove one in the '80s. I believe he ran Comp Flat with it. (626) 335-1315. IMO they trapped too much air so they were not very forgiving.

Fiat48
06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Also saw one at CDBA meet in Dexter a few years back. Huge runners but I did not look at how much rocker was in the bottom.
FastVdriver and Voodocanoe run with CDBA. They may be able to contact the guy and get his experiences.

Sangster
06-28-2004, 12:51 PM
You can also contact Marty / Brendellaracing here on the boards, he has one...

Kindsvater Flat
06-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Here is Marty's boat running.
Marty (http://www.schoutenranch.com/video/marty.wmv)

voodooCanoe
06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
My hull is a Howard , but the bottom is the same. Runs very stable and it will handle the 9's no problem. Merle Colvin also runs
a Brendella with CDBA and is very stable. I don't think it would like to go into the 8's with the hull, but thats a big jump.

SUI-CY-COLE
06-28-2004, 07:14 PM
get a hold of marty or john rossi......that boat looks safe as hell!

Brendellaracin
06-29-2004, 12:06 PM
We've had ours for three years now and I love it.
The boat had been owned by two different friends of
mine and had both an injected and a blown motor in
always handled great. I put my 10.5 comp. 468 BBC
with a solid lifter cam and iron heads and it and ran
103 to 106 mph at 7200 -7600 rpms consistantley with 15%
gears and an 11 / 16 prop. My boat has quite a bit of
rocker in it and sometimes I do run it alittle too dry, but
I'm always trying to get as much as I can out of my old
tunnell ram motor.
The boat does trap quite a bit of air and rocks side to side
alittle on the top end, especially when run in alittle chop.
It has only got out of shape on me once and that was driver
error :( I was told the up to about 125 mph the boat is
really predictable, but after that it traps too much air and
starts to get really flighty .:eek:
This year we put a 526 CI 14.1 comp injected alcohol motor
in the boat and after ALOT of hard work and help from my
friends we ran it on fathers day . We are still playing with
the gears and prop trying to find the right combo, but one
thing for sure is I'm on the plate alot more than ever before.
Da Bull, your boat should run great with the setup you're
discribing. If you have any questions give me a call.
As you can probably tell I'm really excited about our new
motor combo and it's cool to hear that someone else in the
area is running a Brendella 2" runner also.
Good luck, and give me a call anytime. 707-795-1474
See Ya!
Marty & Cheri
:cool: :)

Da-Bull
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Brendellaracin
We've had ours for three years now and I love it.
The boat had been owned by two different friends of
mine and had both an injected and a blown motor in
always handled great. I put my 10.5 comp. 468 BBC
with a solid lifter cam and iron heads and it and ran
103 to 106 mph at 7200 -7600 rpms consistantley with 15%
gears and an 11 / 16 prop. My boat has quite a bit of
rocker in it and sometimes I do run it alittle too dry, but
I'm always trying to get as much as I can out of my old
tunnell ram motor.
The boat does trap quite a bit of air and rocks side to side
alittle on the top end, especially when run in alittle chop.
It has only got out of shape on me once and that was driver
error :( I was told the up to about 125 mph the boat is
really predictable, but after that it traps too much air and
starts to get really flighty .:eek:
This year we put a 526 CI 14.1 comp injected alcohol motor
in the boat and after ALOT of hard work and help from my
friends we ran it on fathers day . We are still playing with
the gears and prop trying to find the right combo, but one
thing for sure is I'm on the plate alot more than ever before.
Da Bull, your boat should run great with the setup you're
discribing. If you have any questions give me a call.
As you can probably tell I'm really excited about our new
motor combo and it's cool to hear that someone else in the
area is running a Brendella 2" runner also.
Good luck, and give me a call anytime. 707-795-1474
See Ya!
Marty & Cheri
:cool: :)
Marty, thanks for the advise. But I have a stupid question? When you guy's talk about "too much rocker" what do you mean by that, are you talking about plate or downpedal? Like I said I'm new to the game and have alot to learn. But, I love my boat big-time and am excited I have met someone running the same with some much appreciated experience. I would post a picture, if I could figure the damn thing out. LMAO
Thanks,
Jeff and Barbara
:D :D :D

Fiat48
06-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Rocker is the bottom shape of the boat. Kinda shaped like a bananna if you have a lot of rocker (like my Tr-1). A lot of rocker makes the boat want to ride on it's tail and nose high.

BrendellaJet
06-29-2004, 04:01 PM
can you guys post pics of the bottom ? Curious to see what it looks like.

T-Bag
06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Da-Bull
Marty, thanks for the advise. But I have a stupid question? When you guy's talk about "too much rocker" what do you mean by that, are you talking about plate or downpedal? Like I said I'm new to the game and have alot to learn. But, I love my boat big-time and am excited I have met someone running the same with some much appreciated experience. I would post a picture, if I could figure the damn thing out. LMAO
Thanks,
Jeff and Barbara
:D :D :D
Bro you have to get the thing to go 100mph first!!!!!! And maybe a little seat time, I have'nt even seen you at any events yet what gives????? You need to come play with the bahner first!!!!!:D We'll be at the bridge on Sat the 3rd I expect to see ya there unless your SCARED.....:eek:
I still need a little help :D :D

Rick James
06-30-2004, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by T-Bag
[B] You need to come play with the bahner first!!!!!:D
Youze mean da JET boat. Dat boat is fly, my brother. RJ

Jr. bentpipes
07-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by T-Bag
Bro you have to get the thing to go 100mph first!!!!!! And maybe a little seat time, I have'nt even seen you at any events yet what gives????? You need to come play with the bahner first!!!!!:D We'll be at the bridge on Sat the 3rd I expect to see ya there unless your SCARED.....:eek:
I still need a little help :D :D
Thats it!!! You have been CALLED OUT there DA-BULL!!! Whats it going to be?????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jr. bentpipes
07-02-2004, 09:51 PM
These are pics before DA-BULL bought the boat from a friend, during the build stage. I cant believe that there is not more input on this one, to my knowledge they made two different runner bottoms, one narrower( I believe that marty's boat is one) and one wider, like this one, nobody knows why that I ever heard of ,but then I have never really researched it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1492MVC-006F-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1492MVC-005F-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1492MVC-003F-med.JPG