PDA

View Full Version : Shaver Lake 4th of July

LASERRAY
06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Me and some boating friends will be there from the 3rd to the 10th. Camping at Camp Edison. Stop by and say hello.:cool:

69 Elim
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
awesome lake, but the water is still a little cold this time of year. I'll be up there in august. have fun!

LASERRAY
06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 69 Elim
awesome lake, but the water is still a little cold this time of year. I'll be up there in august. have fun! I hear it's very cold, so I'll be driving the boat while the hardcores ski, board, and tube behind-it.;)

Beautiful Noise
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Great Lake we always had a blast on vacations there we might go back next summer,Watch those damn Boulders tho;) :D

Kilrtoy
06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Last time I was at Shaver lake we found 3 hot naked chicks on the little island on the south east side. Well we all know how the story went.
Ok so we took the chicks up there, but it sounded good....

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Last time I was at Shaver lake we found 3 hot naked chicks on the little island on the south east side. Well we all know how the story went.
Ok so we took the chicks up there, but it sounded good.... Continue......................................!:D
I looking forward to watching fireworks from the boat out on the lake. Sounds very cool.:cool:

Dr. Eagle
06-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Ok so we took the chicks up there, but it sounded good....
Sounds like a fine family weekend...:confused:

LASERRAY
07-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Just got back a couple of hours ago from 6 days at Shaver. Here's all the negatives:
Filled-up the boat in Sanger about 10 miles from HWY 168 that takes you up the hill to Shaver. MISTAKE! Thanks to the elevation and reduction in atmospheric pressure, my boat was puking gas all the way up the 5000 ft. climb to the lake according to my sister-in-law that was in the car behind me, and the CHP officer that pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for not useing the turnouts when being followed by 5 or more cars. ( my sister in law later told me after the fact that there were only three cars including herself and the officer). Good thing he didn't notice that my brake lights weren't working. They stopped working en route. Fuses, connectors ok. So looks like it's going back to the dealer for that and the cruise control that took a shit.
So from there we arrive at the lake, find our campsite and start to set-up. We are then douched by an impromptu rainstorm while setting camp. Minor, no water damage but a sign of things to come.
So I decide to leave my boat on the trailer Saturday due to the amount of lake lice, the absence of any available spots to moor my boat among all the Bayliners and pontoon boats, and the general bad attitude of the July 4th crowd. Now keep in mind, the date is only the 3rd, but everyone in a 100 mile radius was at Shaver that day for on the lake, boat-in fireworks display. The July 4th Fireworks were at Bass Lake, just up the road a piece.
Sunday, launched the boat, had the outdrive a little too far down and chipped the skeg on the ramp.
Other then that, a decent day.
Monday, I was sick all day. Didn't leave the motorhome/campsite and stayed in bed 'till 2:00 pm and drank a 12 pack of Arrowhead.
I think it was altitude sickness. Really.
Tuesday, having fun all day untill I hit a submerged boulder and thrashed my prop and damaged my skeg further. I was paying full attention and passed this same spot numerous times that day. The way the skeg bent and the blades bent, it looks like I just hit the topside of the boulder. I was able to straighten the prop blades back to somewhat normal in order to finish-out the trip. But it's going into the shop next week.
Thursday/Today at 4:00pm on the 99 FWY in Delano. BLOWOUT!!!
The right rear "Duro" tire on my Zieman trailer blew to smithereens.
But we all made it home in one piece.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Shaver truly is a beautiful lake.
Surprisingly enough on one of our trips my dad got a ticket from the CHP for the exact same thing. Tranny would not shift out of second if memory serves so he just kept going up in under the mountain assuming the worst case scenairo was to either get towed back down after we had the trailer set up or just coast back down.
I can honestly say that in all the times I've been there, two weeks every year for 10+ years, never expoerienced any problems due to the altitude and that includes drives on up to Huntington and Edison Lake.
As far as hitting the boulder, whereabouts? Was it off the point by the boy scout camp? If so, should have warned you, definite area to avoid. Always go wide there.
Hopefully the sour trip does not discourage another trip there, I really miss the place but the current boat is not suitable for that place.

LASERRAY
07-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
As far as hitting the boulder, whereabouts? Was it off the point by the boy scout camp? If so, should have warned you, definite area to avoid. Always go wide there.
It was in the narrow yet deep channel ( or so I thought. 45 ft on the depth finder ) on the backside of the island, heading towards the dam and the upper marina. BAM! I must have missed it a half dozzen times that day.
You're right, the lake is stunning. Even more enjoyable on Tues. and Wed. after the crowds cleared-out. We spent most of wednesday anchored at the "jumping rock" just fishing and chillin'.:)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
It was in the narrow yet deep channel ( or so I thought. 45 ft on the depth finder ) on the backside of the island, heading towards the dam and the upper marina. BAM! I must have missed it a half dozzen times that day.
You're right, the lake is stunning. Even more enjoyable on Tues. and Wed. after the crowds cleared-out. We spent most of wednesday anchored at the "jumping rock" just fishing and chillin'.:)
So all of the houses on shore are to your left as your heading towards Sierra Marina if I've got my bearings right? Wow, never, ever had a problem over there. All of our problems were always over by the Boy Scout camp and that cove.
Jumping Rock, I'll assume this is on that is the cove Northeast of the Ski School Island. We used to day camp in that cove everyday and we would have the whole cove to ourselves to ski and tube in.
Funny that you mention the launch ramp, in your first message, we never had any problems there but with it being only two lanes we would see plenty of people back their trailers off one of the sides and it was about a 1-2 ft drop from the ramp to the submerged ground, not too good on axles. One year the lake was so low that the ramp no longer usuable, you actually had to drive down the ramp, turn off onto what was normally the ottom of the lake and launch out past where the buoys are marking the no wake zone. The sawmill that is at the bottom of the lake and related buildings was rumored to have "surfaced" that year or so we were told.

LASERRAY
07-08-2004, 10:33 PM
So all of the houses on shore are to your left as your heading towards Sierra Marina if I've got my bearings right? Wow, never, ever had a problem over there. All of our problems were always over by the Boy Scout camp and that cove.
This passage way ( i'll call it ) would be due east of the Boy Scout camp on the back side of the Island. ( not sure of the name). If you were on the back side of the island and continued forward without turning, you would run into the dam.
Anyway, avoid it if you ever make it up there again.;)
A sawmill at the lake bottom near the ramp? That's wild. I was not aware of that.
Jumping rock would be on the same end of the lake as the water tunnel inlet, but due west, inside of the deep cove. It reminded me of a poor man's Copper Canyon.
;)

fourspeednup
07-08-2004, 10:47 PM
My boss is headed out there tomorrow afternoon, I'll send him a link to this thread, sucks about the crappy trip laserray:yuk:

LASERRAY
07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
The sawmill that is at the bottom of the lake and related buildings was rumored to have "surfaced" that year or so we were told. Your "sawmill at the bottom of the lake" story sent me Googling, and here's what I found:
Sawmill At The Bottom Of The Lake (http://www.netptc.net/history/shaverlake.htm) ;)

shueman
07-09-2004, 05:39 AM
Our first trip to Shaver, when I was a teenager, was back in 1960 (yea, I is an old fart..!!). Camped at Dorabelle; no Edison back then.
Anyway, I have 8mm movies of the lake when the water was probably 40'-50' DOWN....!!! We were beached down below the Sierra Marina area and would ski around the corner towards the dam. Part of the old dam was showing out of the water. Obviously no launch ramp; just pull up to the water and drop 'er in. 16' Glasspar/75hp Evinrude.
Don't remember seeing a sawmill, buildings, etc. I'll have to pull out the projector and see what's on 'em. I believe that by '62 the lake was full. Might have been when Edison got involved for hydro-electric production.

Uplink
07-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Just got back a couple of hours ago from 6 days at Shaver.
Tuesday, having fun all day untill I hit a submerged boulder and thrashed my prop and damaged my skeg further. I was paying full attention and passed this same spot numerous times that day. The way the skeg bent and the blades bent, it looks like I just hit the topside of the boulder. I was able to straighten the prop blades back to somewhat normal in order to finish-out the trip. But it's going into the shop next week.
Thursday/Today at 4:00pm on the 99 FWY in Delano. BLOWOUT!!!
The right rear "Duro" tire on my Zieman trailer blew to smithereens.
But we all made it home in one piece.
Here's what happend to me a few years ago at Shaver, I think it was a submerged log. Obsticles are not marked there at all, be carefull. Cost a couple hundred to make the skeg like new again, kinda ruined my day. Had a great time there though, it is a beautiful place. Great campsites too, Have fun, Mark
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194Bravo1damage.jpg

LASERRAY
07-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Uplink
Here's what happend to me a few years ago at Shaver, I think it was a submerged log. Obsticles are not marked there at all, be carefull. Cost a couple hundred to make the skeg like new again, kinda ruined my day. Had a great time there though, it is a beautiful place. Great campsites too, Have fun, Mark
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194Bravo1damage.jpg What part of the lake did that happen?:confused:

Sanger Pete
07-10-2004, 09:13 AM
In 1948, my grandfather, after racing hydros (outboards) for years built an 18' inboard (Chris Craft style) with a "BIG" for that era V8. Top speed was supposed to have been 55-60mph--pretty fast for the day. Anyway, in about 1950, my uncle was taking a hot lap at Shaver and hit bottom off one of those points.. The bad news was he tore everything off the bottom of the boat. The good news was at least it didn't have far to sink. I think over the years, Shaver Lake has claimed its share of boats.
Sanger Pete

Sherpa
07-11-2004, 05:51 AM
I took my family to Shaver once for a camp trip.... I know that
long-ass hill climbing out of the valley was hard on my pickup
trans... (7.3 non-turbo ford, very large cabover camper and boat.
some of those turnouts are short, and I think I pulled out a few
times, but I sure as hell wasn't going to give up ANY momentum
I already had to let a few friggen cars go past..............
--never touched bottom at Shaver........
--Sherpa

LASERRAY
07-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Sherpa
some of those turnouts are short
--Sherpa Agreed! But the CHP dickhead didn't see it that way! Focking rookie!:yuk:

Uplink
07-16-2004, 06:25 AM
What part of the lake did that happen?:confused:
Laserray, probably too late by the time you get this, but it was right off the point called "Fishing Club" about a 1/4mi. off shore.
Mark