PDA

View Full Version : headers

dtr352
06-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Can water jacketed headers be run on a jet boat. I have never seen it done and I was curious. I am sick of the water injection, too many problems. I would really like a set of powder coated over the transom jacketed headers. Does anyone make these.

BrendellaJet
06-28-2004, 07:43 AM
What sort of problems are you having with the water injection? When one takes the time to PROPERLY set it up, they will operate flawlessly. Turning knobs on a regulator and installing gate valves and playing with their settings is not gonna help unless you know what/why you are adjusting them.

superdave013
06-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by dtr352
Can water jacketed headers be run on a jet boat. I have never seen it done and I was curious. I am sick of the water injection, too many problems. I would really like a set of powder coated over the transom jacketed headers. Does anyone make these.
Sure you can and yes they do make them. Just wait until you see how much they cost.
Never seen any powder coated ones but CMI makes some nice s.s. ones. Big $$$$$
Another route would be something like IMCO manifolds with tail pipes. I've seen lots of guys go this route. That would cost much less but still more then ya think.
I agree with ya on the injected headers. I just ran 'em dry.

hack job
06-28-2004, 09:03 AM
i run lighting headers on mine and they are powder coated. they are bitchen cause i can touch them and not have to worry aobut burning my self plus they dont get the attn. from the law like over the transum ones.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3583DSCN2633-med.JPG
;)

dtr352
06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I only ask because I have bassett headers right now and I don't like the discolored chrome. If I run them dry it will get worse and when I run them wet I seem to always have problems with that stupid bassett t. I am rebuilding the motor now and I am going to paint the block and polish everything up. I really want the headers to stand out. I was thinking white powder coat. I have never seen that color done thought it would be cool. I want colored headers I don't care if they are jacketed or injected. Can it be done with injected headers. Thanks for the help. You guys keep my boat on the water.

hack job
06-28-2004, 09:56 PM
lighting will powdercaot them white or if you want to keep the injected headers then you can have them jet hot coated its a couple hundred bucks but it lasts really well( i dont know if they do white?)
good luck

fourspeednup
06-28-2004, 10:09 PM
I only ask because I have bassett headers right now and I don't like the discolored chrome. If I run them dry it will get worse and when I run them wet I seem to always have problems with that stupid bassett t. I am rebuilding the motor now and I am going to paint the block and polish everything up. I really want the headers to stand out. I was thinking white powder coat. I have never seen that color done thought it would be cool. I want colored headers I don't care if they are jacketed or injected. Can it be done with injected headers. Thanks for the help. You guys keep my boat on the water. I actually started a thread on this a few weeks ago in the gearhead section. I wanted to pick up a cheap set of discolored bassets/rewarders and have them powder coated white(funny you mentioned that as well:D )
Jet hot coating(ceramic) is the hot ticket if you want to keep your injected headers. It will even live if you run them dry but I've heard that the color will change a little. I think they will do colors other than grey/silver but it'll probably cost extra

QuickJet
06-29-2004, 12:04 AM
The real hot ticket is HPC coating. They can double layer for the polished look. Another thing you can do to avoid chromed headers from turning blue is to have the headers HPC coated on the INSIDE then chromed on the outside. This process keeps the heat away from the chrome. The headers last way longer and won't discolor. Of course it's expensive, but anything worth a damn usually is.

BigBoyToys
06-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Cermakrome all the way!!!! It's a high heat ceramic coating that looks great! Low maintenance High Luster shine. Here's a Tunnel Ram I had done, and this TunnelRam was sent in as cast from the Edelbrock Factory.
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr2.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr3.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr4.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr5.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr6.jpg
http://www.pritek.net/bboat/tr7.jpg

dtr352
06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Were can all these things be done. Do you guys no of a place in or around L.A. that will do the work. What about a price. From what I have heard from the shops near me it is easier and cheaper to just get a new set of chrome headers from bassett. I sure like the powder coat look but if it won't last its not worth it. Thanks for the tips.

BigBoyToys
06-29-2004, 12:46 PM
I got my TR done at Cap's Brite Hot Coatings in Fresno. They have a website but I can't think of the name of hand. Just do a search on Cermakrome and you'll find it. By the way, it was only $175 to do my tunnel ram.

FoMoCo
06-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree with having the headers Coated I have been running mine for 4 years and thet still look great! I have rewarder Short headers and had them Coated at rewarder when I ordered them!

flat broke
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BigBoyToys
I got my TR done at Cap's Brite Hot Coatings in Fresno. They have a website but I can't think of the name of hand. Just do a search on Cermakrome and you'll find it. By the way, it was only $175 to do my tunnel ram.
Any indication on how it will last and what the maintenence regimen is? Also when/if the stuff cracks and flakes, how big are the chunks? I'd be interested in that coating for my manifold, but would probably only have them do the outer portion so there's no risk of nasties getting into the motor if the coating lets go.
Shoot me a pm if you have a number/web address for em.
Thanks,
Chris

Jet Hydro
06-29-2004, 04:48 PM
LOL...Headers...LOL
I`m not going to say who did these because of the last topic I started about headers, but these are NEW out of the box....Monday
They told me to color sand them..lol... WTF....
Would you pay $900.00 for these?
I`m glad I look over every thing I send out of my shop. I`d never let something go out if it looked like this. They are full of fish eyes and they don't have any shine
I think I could have done better with a spry can
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213P1020404.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213P1020398.jpg

squirt
06-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I only ask because I have bassett headers right now and I don't like the discolored chrome. If I run them dry it will get worse and when I run them wet I seem to always have problems with that stupid bassett t.
http://www.banderlog.com/media/***boat/***boatAdwww.jpg
Here is something that I've been using for over 2 seasons and has been flawless, Has been a set it and forget it thing for me. :cool:I know this might sound like SPAM but it's not, just trying to lend a hand and provide an option. I also know Rewarder is now carrying them along with Rex Marine, and CP Performance. In the past that T valve has bitten me in the butt a number of times, this is a better way:D
Don

565edge
06-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by squirt
http://www.banderlog.com/media/***boat/***boatAdwww.jpg
Here is something that I've been using for over 2 seasons and has been flawless, Has been a set it and forget it thing for me. :cool:I know this might sound like SPAM but it's not, just trying to lend a hand and provide an option. I also know Rewarder is now carrying them along with Rex Marine, and CP Performance. In the past that T valve has bitten me in the butt a number of times, this is a better way:D
Don
Man i was thinking of this item today.I want to run a decent cam in my new boat.I have waterjacketed headers and they keep telling me i will get reversion.well my new cam is 262-272 @.050 and 700 lift on a 114 lobe seperation.Its a solid roller.I wonder if i could run one of those to limit water at a idle and open waterflow up all the way at over 2000 rpm.I dont want it to stop the water completely at a idle but limit it.Do any of you know if it will do that.Thanks

squirt
06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
Man i was thinking of this item today.I want to run a decent cam in my new boat.I have waterjacketed headers and they keep telling me i will get reversion.well my new cam is 262-272 @.050 and 700 lift on a 114 lobe seperation.Its a solid roller.I wonder if i could run one of those to limit water at a idle and open waterflow up all the way at over 2000 rpm.I dont want it to stop the water completely at a idle but limit it.Do any of you know if it will do that.Thanks
That is exactly what it can do! You can hook it up for the standard 1,500 cutoff point or it has the output for a 2,000 cutoff point. Best of all I like the 13 sec dry out feature there is a difference:D
Don
Chit I just read your post again about not wanting to completly cut water at idle. This won't do that....why would you want to do that if ya don't mind me asking?

565edge
06-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Does it shut water off completly at idle or not.I still need water but not all of it.

squirt
06-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Does it shut water off completly at idle or not.I still need water but not all of it.
Yes it shuts off the water at either 1,500 or 2,000 rpms. I posted back before I relized you wanted water at idle....sorry bout that, just wondering why you needed water at idle.....engine cover?

565edge
06-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Engine cover and i have lightning water jacketed headers.I need some water at idle.

djdtpr
06-29-2004, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jet Hydro
[B]LOL...Headers...LOL
I`m not going to say who did these because of the last topic I started about headers, but these are NEW out of the box....Monday
They told me to color sand them..lol... WTF....
Would you pay $900.00 for these?
I`m glad I look over every thing I send out of my shop. I`d never let something go out if it looked like this. They are full of fish eyes and they don't have any shine
I think I could have done better with a spry can.
If it was the same outfit that just sent me a set that did not fit cause they hit the head studs.I called he told me to grind the flanges down then touch up with a can of spray paint.I was allready upset cause i thought they would have turned out a little better for $ 950 oh well what do you do.just smile and say thanks then never do buissines there again.

squirt
06-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Engine cover and i have lightning water jacketed headers.I need some water at idle.
Call Jim Lee and talk to him about it. Maybe he can provide a little signal generator to blip the selnoid or someting...he knows this stuff not me:wink:

BrendellaJet
06-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Last I checked Bassett did not do any coating in house. So those must be brand R? They look like shit. Guess ill get me a set of lemmons.

AmericanThunder1
06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Damn Hydro you get all kinds of luck? And yes I read your last post. Hope you do better on the next set. dtr352 I have read a post before about somebody using water jacketed but I cant remember who it was. I have water injected as well but you can do anything you want for enough $$ and work.

Jet Hydro
06-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Now I didn't say they were Bassett.
But I will tell you that they were done at the same place that the Bassett`s are done :D
We are just going to stick with Brand R for a name;)
Now you guys don't keep Paul and his help at the shop till 12:00am with all those hundreds of phone call`s you guy`s made the last time, I`m still loling about that one :rolleyes:
He didn't coat these!

BigBoyToys
06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
Any indication on how it will last and what the maintenence regimen is? Also when/if the stuff cracks and flakes, how big are the chunks? I'd be interested in that coating for my manifold, but would probably only have them do the outer portion so there's no risk of nasties getting into the motor if the coating lets go.
Shoot me a pm if you have a number/web address for em.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris,
You might want to PM JetBoatGuru (Tony Scarlata) on this forum about the header thing. He has recently had his new race headers done by Cap's and he sounds pretty happy with the coating. This is the first time I have tried the cermakrome stuff so I'm not really qualified to answer all the questions. All I know is that I've heard alot of good things about Cap's and their Cermakrome ceramic coatings, enough that I wanted to try it myself with my Tunnel Ram and I am VERY happy with the results of my Tunnel Ram.

BigBoyToys
06-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Here's a link to Cap's Website Cap's Brite Hot Coatings (http://www.capsbhc.com/coating1.htm)

flat broke
06-30-2004, 09:32 AM
BBT, thanks for the info, I'll have to give them a call.
Edge. What you could do is use an unmodified banderlog box in conjunction with a reduced flow setup on your exhaust. You have a reduced water flow going to the exhaust at all times regardless of idle or not. While this flow would not be enough to cool your rubber hoses at WOT, it should work at idle. Then have the banderlog system to inject the remainder of the water into the exhaust system once you're above 1500 or so. It would take a little thinking to set it up, but it could be done with off the shelf parts.
Chris

Jet Hydro
06-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by AmericanThunder1
Damn Hydro you get all kinds of luck? And yes I read your last post. Hope you do better on the next set.
Boy isn't that the truth :mad: I`m getting use to it now :cool: