PDA

View Full Version : E pump benefits?

Nubbs
06-28-2004, 08:10 AM
What were supposed to be the benefits of using an E pump?
Thanks
Nubbs

roostwear
06-28-2004, 08:53 AM
2 that come to mind.... slightly setback engine and you can remove the hand hole cover in the water. I'd trade my E for a G any day.

Nucking futs
06-28-2004, 03:32 PM
NONE!!!!!!:D

Mr Twister
06-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Easier for the builder to install when rigging the boat originally, three point mount = less parts =more profit. IMO not a bad pump. Saw that in some old berk flyer I had. Nothing against "E" pumps at all, as I have seen them propel boats faster than you would think they could go.
SWTD-455 Pontiac

Mohavekid
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I've had two boats with "e" pumps, one with a "c" and one with a "g".
Overall, I like the "e" the best for general all around use.
The "e" is installed "set back" in the boat from the factory. You don't have to spend $$$ to set back your other pump.
This allows the cleanout to be outside the boat and actually useable if you suck something up. You get about 5 inches more room inside the boat with the 'e'. The cables are all low on the right side out of the way. It has a built in ride plate. Although it is not as long as most custom plates, I've found it very effective at modifying the atitude of the boat.
The downside is that the 'e' has a 1 piece bowl so you cannot add a droop or snoot without changing the bowl. I've also heard the "experts" say that the intake angle on the 'e' is too steep and causes some problems in loading enough water in high speed boats. I doubt this considering most fast boats use some type of blocking loader to reduce the amount of water reaching the pump anyway.
My .02.

roostwear
06-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Where the problem is with the E (in my case) is that it needs a shoe to drop the rear of the intake to the keel (the more acute intake angle only makes it worse). This is what I'm fighting right now. I have a ramp loader from MPD and didn't pick any speed over a rock grate. I brought the plate up to 4 degrees, and am HOPING that bringing the bow up and drying it out more will give me more bite. I'll know Saturday :D

1HOTGMCJET
06-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
Where the problem is with the E (in my case) is that it needs a shoe to drop the rear of the intake to the keel (the more acute intake angle only makes it worse). This is what I'm fighting right now.
Doesn't Duane over at HTP sell a shoe setup that fits an "E" pump? Maybe give that a try? Good Luck! :) :) :)

mgar_red
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by 1HOTGMCJET
Doesn't Duane over at HTP sell a shoe setup that fits an "E" pump?
Yes he does. But since I installed one of those at the same time as a blueprinted impeller I can't say which one gave me the improvement..... gained 2 mph gps.
I'd like to think the extended rideplate helps to pick the back end up a bit. Plus that the plate is now running lower in the water compared to the factory setup due to the new mounting position, off the shoe.

BigBlockBaja
07-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, I killed my pump this weekend. It took out the front thrustbearing and killed the impellor with it. I have a new B bowl in my basement. Can anyone give me a run down on parts needed to put this bowl on?
Old impellor..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1636bad_impellor.JPG
Thanks,
Pat