PDA

View Full Version : conversion to v-drive

summerlove
06-28-2004, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking of converting my 24' campbell from a bravo drive to a v-drive. does anyone have experience with thisa type of conversion and any idea of costs? Thanks

SPECTRABRENT
06-28-2004, 10:28 AM
I would not do that, its too much $$$$ and I would say the value of your boat would drop. I think in todays market the I/O is worth more than the v-drive.
PM Dave Sammonds, he is in the process of rerigging (motor rails etc.) my boat.
Brent

summerlove
06-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
I would not do that, its too much $$$$ and I would say the value of your boat would drop. I think in todays market the I/O is worth more than the v-drive.
PM Dave Sammonds, he is in the process of rerigging (motor rails etc.) my boat.
Brent
All I really need is to have the big hole filled up and add new underwater gear and a v-drive? I'm already gonna replace the motor....just a thought.....

dmontzsta
06-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I would do it, if you truely love the boat, money is no object. I have converted both of my cars from auto to 5 speed and everyone told me not to do it that it was too much money, but there is a sentimental value that is irreplaceable. DO IT, you have my support :) Just take your time and glass in the hole with nice layers and sand it flat once you fill it. The tricky part is lining up the motor and v drive, you could have a shop that does rigging for boats do that if you do not have the experience.

schiada96
06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't do it. You would be far ahead in finding one that is a v-drive. Cavatation plates and underwater gear 5k in parts

summerlove
06-28-2004, 01:18 PM
All I think I need is the shaft log, strut and rudder. The plates are already there. The engine will already be new and the v-drive will be necessary, along with the supporting linkage(s). I'll have a custome boat shop do the removal and reinstallation and a glass shop do the glass work. Excluding the engine, I can't imagine more than $5K. I could then sell my bravo drive and 7.4 package for about $3-4K and only be out a couple thousand. Or am I on drugs???? Here's the transom right now...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/951HPIM1120.JPG

v-drive
06-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I think you're begging for trouble. That's a nice boat just how it sits or just buy a little v drive boat to get the itch out.
;) v-drive

superdave013
06-28-2004, 01:47 PM
If you want to get some real # on the price talk to Mike @ Prime Marine. 909 484 8338
He is installing the running gear in my schiada and so far his qupted price has only changed due to me adding things.
I think you will want a real cav plate over those trim tabs.
And I think you will be shocked at how much all this stuff costs.

mickeyfinn
06-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Here is a start:
cavitation plate (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2483028727&category=50442)
Foot Feed (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482933689&category=26455)
Or if this one stays reasonable just buy it and rob the hardware:
complete set up (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482884145&category=50442)

spectras only
06-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Summerlove , I'm surprised you need a trimtab at all on your campbell with your shallow deadrise. My 24 spectra doesn't need one at all at any speed;) :p . Convert to a V-drive and get rid of the tabs:D . 5K for the conversion is a low estimate though. Sell the campbell and buy a spectra XL or XS ,you'll be happy. My boat stays on plane at 2000 rpm [mucho cheaper to run than any other drives] . Just tried an OJ 3 blade 14X16 nibral [ Brent ,are you listening ?] turning 4900 RPM with the rex slip ins LS-6 .:)

summerlove
06-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
Summerlove , I'm surprised you need a trimtab at all on your campbell with your shallow deadrise. My 24 spectra doesn't need one at all at any speed;) :p . Convert to a V-drive and get rid of the tabs:D . 5K for the conversion is a low estimate though. Sell the campbell and buy a spectra XL or XS ,you'll be happy. My boat stays on plane at 2000 rpm [mucho cheaper to run than any other drives] . Just tried an OJ 3 blade 14X16 nibral [ Brent ,are you listening ?] turning 4900 RPM with the rex slip ins LS-6 .:)
I'll vote for Bush before I buy a Spectra!;) :D J/K LOL....
(actually - I'll be in the market for a Spectra 18 or 19 in a couple of years for the kids).
OK, so I shouldn't do it..... I'll be in Havasu next week and ask for a price quite, minus engine. I'll let you know what I find out....

raginjo
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I agree with Superdave . Talk to Mike at Prime Marine he will give you the straight sccop on your project. I have seen the work they do in person and I know your Campbell will be in good hands. BTW I am the guy who has been e-mailing you about your "67 Campbell, and if things work out right Mike will probably be joining me to check out your boat. I think that converting your Campbell to V-drive will not only improve your fun factor, but it will also help the value of your boat. How ever that is just my two cents worth, everyone has their own opinions and they are all too willing to share them.

summerlove
06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by raginjo
I agree with Superdave . Talk to Mike at Prime Marine he will give you the straight sccop on your project. I have seen the work they do in person and I know your Campbell will be in good hands. BTW I am the guy who has been e-mailing you about your "67 Campbell, and if things work out right Mike will probably be joining me to check out your boat. I think that converting your Campbell to V-drive will not only improve your fun factor, but it will also help the value of your boat. How ever that is just my two cents worth, everyone has their own opinions and they are all too willing to share them.
The reaon I'm thinking of the conversion is the fact that the 67 is for sale. I do miss my old 71 campbell v-drive but like the space of the 24'.
When were you thinking of coming up and seeing it? I love to make an excuse to go to havasu....

dmontzsta
06-28-2004, 03:41 PM
noooo, he must bring it to CBBB! :)

coolchange
06-28-2004, 04:49 PM
NO way.Not just the hardware but as dave said you'd have to loose those "plates" to do it right and modify the hull to take "real" plates. Then where does the motor sit? Now you have to put floors in it for v drive and modify or replace seats you have and modify or replace the motor box. And a Trans wasnt mentioned either. I see no less than 12K and then you still have a transgender boat.

v-drive
06-28-2004, 04:57 PM
a transgender boat.
Now that's one I didn't think of. :cool: v-drive

summerlove
06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by v-drive
a transgender boat.
Now that's one I didn't think of. :cool: v-drive
It'll be a metrosexual boat.....
Also, almost all campbells are v-drfives, so to have a I/O is somewhat of an oddity. The flooring and engine boax are not a problem. Also, almost all 24' campbells, weather vdrive or I/o have the same tabs I have, so they'll work ok. Remember, this is a big, heavy boat. I dunno, maybe not....

GofastRacer
06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Dude leave the boat as is, you have no idea what you would be in for to change it over(not to mention cost and headaches), it's not worth it there are too many good v-drive cruisers out there for sale that are ready to go for a lot less than what you would have in changing that one over!....My .02!...

bigkatboat
06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Put a 5 degree angle plate on the transom, or leave it alone! Those 'plates' are BS and a boat (V-drive) without plates is BS. Why do you want a V-drive???? Most of the answers here are from PEOPLE WHO 'farm it out' so THEY don't know how to do it them selves!!!! The boat won't be any faster with the 'same' power, so why change???? Those "trim plates" are BS and won't stay up at speeds.

DaveA
06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by bigkatboat
Why do you want a V-drive???? Most of the answers here are from PEOPLE WHO 'farm it out' so THEY don't know how to do it them selves!!!!
MOST of the answers?
FARM IT OUT?
DON'T know how to do it themselves?????
Dude- how informed are you about some of the people who posted above you?
Careful....!
Ok Art & SuperDave...your turn.

Squirtin Thunder
06-29-2004, 12:48 AM
I would say no, I would however upgrade the drive. You could actually pick up some mph 3-15. Crazy right ??? Naaaaaaa, if you upgrade to a 4 or 5 along with the engine you could have a 100mph day cruzer.
My 72 cents
Jim

v-drive
06-29-2004, 03:47 AM
[sorry, double post.

v-drive
06-29-2004, 03:54 AM
[ Most of the answers here are from PEOPLE WHO 'farm it out' so THEY don't know how to do it them selves!!!! The boat won't be any faster with the 'same' power, so why change???? Those "trim plates" are BS and won't stay up at speeds. [/B][/QUOTE]
I might not be a professional but I spent the biggest part of six months re-doing a v-drive boat and it's expensive and time consumeing but you must know more or you wouldn't have made a comment like that. Right?.....v-drive

superdave013
06-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by DaveA
Ok Art & SuperDave...your turn.
I still stand by my post.
Mike @ Prime or Dave Sammonds would be a couple of people I'ed talk to about price if I really wanted to get that done. And I think both could pull it off like it was like that from day one. But it's gonna cost ya.
I did talk to Dave first (because I've known him for a long time) when I decided to FARM mine out. He was to busy so I went to Prime. Mike King is doing the set-up and Don over at Pat's fiberglass is doing the required glass work. I'm very happy so far. Mike Ramarize (sp) has also be great to deal with over at Prime.

GofastRacer
06-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Why do you want a V-drive???? Most of the answers here are from PEOPLE WHO 'farm it out' so THEY don't know how to do it them selves!!!!
Farm it out, don't know what the fk we're doing huh!...If you fkn say so!...:rolleyes:

V-Drive Tom
06-29-2004, 07:45 AM
This is getting GOOD!!
WHO'S NEXT!!:D TOM..

lucky
06-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
Farm it out, don't know what the fk we're doing huh!...If you fkn say so!...:rolleyes:
NO GOD , THE WORLD WAS NOT MADE IN 7 DAY'S - WOULD YOU GET MOR INFORMED ??? :rolleyes: OIEEEEEEE

coolchange
06-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Bwaahhahaha! I thinks he's been out drinkin with Lake Pirate.

superdave013
06-29-2004, 08:09 AM
you guys act like you are shocked at bigkat's comments.
That's just him so get used to it.
I'm sure George @ Finshline has forgotten more then I will ever know. But...... I still FARMED my shit out to someone else. ;)
V Drive Tom, you pot stirer! haha
NEXT

Reddy Too
06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Summerlove,
I have the same boat but with the v drive with similar trim tabs. The trim tabs work fine at any speed so I don't think you would need to change them. However, looking at the picture you may to modify your trailer to accomodate the prop and rudder.

spectras only
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I still FARMED my shit out to someone else. ;)
NEXT [/B] I wish I could farm my shit out to someone else ,but the stuff always come back with some issues,so I do everything myself ;) :D :D :D

superdave013
06-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by spectras only
I wish I could farm my shit out to someone else ,but the stuff always come back with some issues,so I do everything myself ;) :D :D :D
Mine was more of a time and space issue. I just didn't have the time to do it or the space to take the time (that I didn't have anyway) to do it. So good for me that we have the talent in this area to get things like that done. I shoped and I was not shopping price.

63stevens
06-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I have those same trim tabs on my 72 Lavey Craft v-drive cruiser. They work fine for me but my cruiser only goes about 60. If you lean on the tabs they will go down so they are not something you can step on like cav-plates. At speed I'm sure they would get sucked down. If I was to go faster I would have to put on a cavatation plate system .

summerlove
06-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Reddy Too
Summerlove,
I have the same boat but with the v drive with similar trim tabs. The trim tabs work fine at any speed so I don't think you would need to change them. However, looking at the picture you may to modify your trailer to accomodate the prop and rudder.
Hey ReddyToo - saw you guys last time out...
My traailer will need to be replaced, yes. It is falling apart and I hope it is ok for our Powell trip next week! A few rust spots that are now pretty bad....so there will be a new trailer anyway.