PDA

View Full Version : Boating Course Required by Coast Guard????

uncle larry
06-28-2004, 10:27 AM
The National Boating Safety Advisory Council (BBSAC) recently passed two resolutions that will directly affect recreational boaters if signed into law. The council, composed of 21members appointed by the Secretary of Homeland Security, recommends that the US Coast Guard initiate boating safety regulations and propose legislation pertaining to boating safety course certification and personal flotation device use.
If legislation is passed on the boat safety course, the US Coast Guard could impose and enforce a requirement that boat operators running in US Waters show proof of completing a National Boating Safety Advisory Council approved course. This particular resolutions is a reaction to a 2002 National Recreational Boating Survey, which indicated that 65 percent of boat operators had never taken a boating safely course.
The PFD resolution call for the Coast Guard to convene a working panel to initiate an industry-wide promotion of the wearing of PFDÂ’s while boating and an implementation of a PDF Pledge for everyone involved in boating. Coast Guard Statistics indicate that only 22 percent of boaters wear PDFÂ’s while some 440 who are not wearing PDFÂ’s die each year in boating accidents. The goal of the resolution, which stops short of mandatory adult wear, is to increase PDF usage to 44 percent by 2007.

76BARRON
06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
I am not normaly one who like's anything to be made mandatory
but the high number of uneducated boater's and P.W.C. owner' and operators have brought us to this point. I for one, am growing very tired of all the nonsence and nothing being done about it! I do not know if making a safe boating class mandatory is the right thing but untill somone comes up with somthing better
then this will have to do! Untill then Im all for it!
AND.............
to those who reply to this, do you have a safe boating certificate?
I see alot of $100.000+ boat's out there. They must have their
certificate ? RIGHT?
i do
So be safe out there!:)

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 11:16 AM
This is going to be an Ugly topic.. In about an hour.
RD <---- going to lunch

Three Days Only
06-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I atteneded power squadron classes, but never recieved a certificate. I only did it to learn aobut navigation on the ocean. Like why are there black flags floating out in the middle of the ocean about 50 yards apart, Ooh its a drift net, petter avoid that!!!

prosthogod
06-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I have no problem taking a course, and I'll go as far to say even wearing a PFD while under way above wake speed. If that would reduce insurance costs and save lives, WHY NOT? It is now mandetory to wear a seat belt, so why shouldn't you have some sort of protection when you're cruising along and some lake lice takes you out.

Sleek-Jet
06-28-2004, 11:31 AM
So who's going to implement and adminster this?? The Coast Guard if I read that right. So how are they going to enforce this on water ways they don't patrol. I'm from Colorado and have never seen a Coast Guard vessel on any water way there or one in Utah (Lake Powell).
Or will it be the managing agency (park service/forest service, ect...).
I like the part about a "pledge to wear PFD". What happens if you take the pledge and get caught not wearing one?? Do they throw you in PFD jail, ruin your credit, take away your Birthday?? What type of PFD will be required?? The only one that I would consider wearing all day is a Type III (ski vest), and it won't keep my face out of the water if I'm unconcious.
This should be a fun topic. :D

HCS
06-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Aren't they PFD's. A mandatory test might not be bad. But forcing
all people to wear PFD's while boating. That's BS.
Keeping it limited to kids 12 and under. And maybe making it for all boats under 12 feet in lenth might not be a bad idea.
It's going to really suck on a 109 degree day boating around with
a PFD on.

riverbound
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
I would have to agree that some sort of licsensing should be rquired to operate boats, but the PFD thing is a little overboard. I make sure my kids have theirs on anytime they are on the boat or anyewherenear the water.

copperrat20
06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Aren't they PFD's. A mandatory test might not be bad. But forcing
all people to wear PFD's while boating. That's BS.
Keeping it limited to kids 12 and under. And maybe making it for all boats under 12 feet in lenth might not be a bad idea.
It's going to really suck on a 109 degree day boating around with
a PFD on.
That is BS if everyone is going to have to wear a PFD while in the boat!
I see it coming though! And I guess I will have to be the first
"BOATS FOR SALE" make offer!

prosthogod
06-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Don't you all see the whole new market for pfd's that are cool, sexy with boob cutouts:D

h2oski2fast
06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
<----------------------Waiting for RD to get back from lunch.
This will get interesting.

BigDogIvan
06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm all for the training and proof of if you oparate a boat. I was on Havazoo a week a go when several times I had a boat coming at me. I turned the wheel to the right to let them know my intentions. They would turn harder and still pass me on MY right.
As for the PFD's, well i can see both sides of this debate. 12 and under a must. as for the rest optional. But if it becomes mandatory I will be looking for a cooler vest than what I have.
BD

superdave013
06-28-2004, 12:50 PM
I took a class that was taught by the Indiana DNR when I was about 12. At 16 I took the power squadron course. There is alot to that course and if anyone boats in the ocean or a big river like the Ohio or Missippie they should take it.
Come to think if it I should take it again but prolly won't.

Boatcop
06-28-2004, 12:51 PM
First of all, the National Boating Safety Advisory Counsel has no regulatory powers, and only recommends things. Any Federal Regulations would have to be enacted by the US Congress, and signed into law by the President.
As far as requiring all boater to attend and pass some kind of course, this exceeds the authority of the Federal Government, and would be covered by the 10th Ammendment.
For those who don't remember their 6th grade Constitution Test, the 10th says:
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."
The Federal Government has the authority to regulate maritime commerce, as in licensing commercial boat operators, but there is nothing that gives them the right to regulate the status of an individual recreational boat operator, in terms of training, licensing or certification.
Those duties would be left up to the states, as is Motor Vehicle Licenses.
It definitely would make boating safer if all boaters were to take some sort of training, but the States would be better equipped to certify their own boaters, based on the uniqueness and differences in State's waters.
As far as promoting PFD wear, hell, we've been doing that for the 30 years I've been involved in Boating Safety Education and Enforcement.
There have actually been hearings conducted in Congress regarding mandatory PFD wear, and the conclusion has always been that voluntary wear, Public Education, and Public Relations are working to reduce accidental drownings aboard recreational boats.
Don't make too much of this "news". Remember, these are the same folks that recommended propeller guards on all prop boats several years back.

NorCalCat
06-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by uncle larry
The National Boating Safety Advisory Council (BBSAC) recently passed two resolutions that will directly affect recreational boaters if signed into law. The council, composed of 21members appointed by the Secretary of Homeland Security, recommends that the US Coast Guard initiate boating safety regulations and propose legislation pertaining to boating safety course certification and personal flotation device use.
If legislation is passed on the boat safety course, the US Coast Guard could impose and enforce a requirement that boat operators running in US Waters show proof of completing a National Boating Safety Advisory Council approved course. This particular resolutions is a reaction to a 2002 National Recreational Boating Survey, which indicated that 65 percent of boat operators had never taken a boating safely course.
The PFD resolution call for the Coast Guard to convene a working panel to initiate an industry-wide promotion of the wearing of PFDÂ’s while boating and an implementation of a PDF Pledge for everyone involved in boating. Coast Guard Statistics indicate that only 22 percent of boaters wear PDFÂ’s while some 440 who are not wearing PDFÂ’s die each year in boating accidents. The goal of the resolution, which stops short of mandatory adult wear, is to increase PDF usage to 44 percent by 2007.
I hope this includes ALL PWC users also.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification Alan.
Any idea what was burning on the reservation Sunday that required a detour?? The tow South over CA 95 from Agnes Wilson Road down to the 10 sucked!

HCS
06-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Most states, if not all by now, have helmet and seatbelt laws.
I'm sure if any state leads the way in mandatory life jackets while
boating, it will be Crowdifornia.

eliminatedsprinter
06-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Most states, if not all by now, have helmet and seatbelt laws.
I'm sure if any state leads the way in mandatory life jackets while
boating, it will be Crowdifornia.
Ca will require us all to wear biodegradable, PFD's, that are made without any animal products, and have catalytic converters that fit over our a$$*s......;)

HCS
06-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
Ca will require us all to wear biodegradable, PFD's, that are made without any animal products and have catalytic converters that fit over our a$$*s......;)
Their already designing catalytic converters for cow asses.
I'm sure we're next.:D

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Well I'm glad BoatCop shed some light on the issue..
My points minus the profanity are these..
The ****ing ****sockers that keep trying to implement this shit most likely aren't even boat owners. Just your average everyday peaces of **** that feel the need to try to protect other people from themselves.
Mandatory PFD's? You have to be joking..
I ran in the AHBA Spring Heatwave a year ago, and let me tell you that freakin life jacket was the most irritating experience I've ever had in a boat. Next to one of my friends ex chatterbox girlfriends.
RD

76BARRON
06-28-2004, 02:35 PM
just an FYI....... The flatbottom crowd(myself included) have been
using,wearing and encouraging other's to wear life jacket's all of the time! The jacket of choice seems to be LIFELINE !
I am a good swimmer ........BUT !..... If I hit the water at speed the
LAST thing I want to worry about is swimming! specially with a face full of water!or worse!!! but thats just me:)

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 76BARRON
just an FYI....... The flatbottom crowd(myself included) have been
using,wearing and encouraging other's to wear life jacket's all of the time! The jacket of choice seems to be LIFELINE !
I am a good swimmer ........BUT !..... If I hit the water at speed the
LAST thing I want to worry about is swimming! specially with a face full of water!or worse!!! but thats just me:)
76Barron, there's obviously different types of boating.. Running 80+ in a flat bottom is a far cry..... well from just about every other type of boating I can think of.. LOL Flat Bottoms kick ass for an adrenaline rush, of course that adrenaline comes from the fact that there's a realistic possibillity something can go amiss?
To say that everyone should wear PFD's all the time in every boat is assanine to say the least. You guys put your flats in the water and are maybe on the water for less then an hour making passes and then either
A. they go back on the trailer
B. you go kick it somewhere
C. they are anchored by a beach somewhere
It's not uncommon for the open bow crowd to stay in there boats for 7 - 8 hours at a time..
RD

bgchuby
06-28-2004, 02:44 PM
I have been a member of United States Power Squadron since I was 15. I am a total believer in safe boating and agree that we need some help. I for one do not want to see the states issuing a lisense to operate a boat. I and the members of USPS would like to make it that you have to show proof of taking a safety course from either the coast guard or our organization for you to be able to renew your boat regsistration. I go to havasu on a regular basis and we all know that in todays world you can write a check for a 100mph boat and have no clue how to use it Personally if you are running at a high rate of speed and don't wear a jacket than you don't care because at a high speed something can and will go wrong and when you fall out of the boat for whatever reason you need that jacket so that you don't drown while being knocked out. I would also like to see a weekend dui checkpoint stationed just south of the sandbar so that all of the idiots that leave the sandbar drunk don't hit my boat or hurt my kids. Just my opion.

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
BigChubby, at a highrate of speed.. or atleast the speeds that are going to knock you unconscious you realize that most life jackets aren't going to help you much.. Matter of fact they'll probably hurt you even more when they get ripped off your body.
Ironically enough the ones that really will help you more then others ARE NOT coast guard approved.
RD

76BARRON
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I think you are mostly right! However you over estimate me, I am not one of the "FAST" guy's but your point is well takin. I think
I fall somwhere in between both groups with 2-3+ hours a day
on the water W/Jacket. At this point I would proubly focus on safe boating classes most. It's getting RUN OVER that I fear most!
The P.W.C. 's are at the top of my list!!!!!!

bgchuby
06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I just think that over a certain speed a jacket should be worn for saftey reasons. If you are just cruising up the river at 40 to 60 mph no I don't think you need it but if you are running over 80mph than you should have a jacket on. remember murphy's law.

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 76BARRON
I think you are mostly right! However you over estimate me, I am not one of the "FAST" guy's but your point is well takin. I think
I fall somwhere in between both groups with 2-3+ hours a day
on the water W/Jacket. At this point I would proubly focus on safe boating classes most. It's getting RUN OVER that I fear most!
The P.W.C. 's are at the top of my list!!!!!!
Strangely enough when I used to water ski on Parker strip as a kid. The 1st thing I'd do after I fell is unbuckle my life jacket. That was back when the strip was REALLY BUSY though.. I figured if someone missed the flailing arms, the water ski sticking in the air and everything else and was still heading towards me, I'd swim towards the bottom.. LOL
RD

Krazy K
06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Up here in Oregon you have to have a state issued Boater Education card if you want to operate a boat or PWC, no matter how old you are. You have to pass this test to get it. I think it is a good idea, but not the PFD thing. I'm a big boy and it is hard to find vests to fit me.

superdave013
06-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Dave, I don't want to high jack this thread but you must have NEVER been kicked out of a fast boat. lol
I think ski vest suck as you float face down. But they are better then nothing by far.
super (not sayin there should be Mandatory PFD's) dave013

76BARRON
06-28-2004, 03:04 PM
I know the feeling!:D been there ,done that!:D thats called survival!!!!!:D lol.

Sleek-Jet
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I still think they should just outlaw drowning, that would solve everything right there.

HCS
06-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well I'm glad BoatCop shed some light on the issue..
My points minus the profanity are these..
The ****ing ****sockers that keep trying to implement this shit most likely aren't even boat owners. Just your average everyday peaces of **** that feel the need to try to protect other people from themselves.
Mandatory PFD's? You have to be joking..
I ran in the AHBA Spring Heatwave a year ago, and let me tell you that freakin life jacket was the most irritating experience I've ever had in a boat. Next to one of my friends ex chatterbox girlfriends.
RD
I'm sure their not boat owners. Their probably PFD makers. Like
Coleman. Asses probably have never been in a boat.
You flat bottom and hydro owners need to wear jackets, you'd be
fools not to.
When I'm cruizing along in my boaring 45mph ski boat I don't
need to be wearing a PFD. Sheesh. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

HCS
06-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
I still think they should just outlaw drowning, that would solve everything right there.
Like we discussed before. I agree, that's the law we need.
Make it illegal to drown.
That way when they recover the body they can take you away in
handcuffs.:rolleyes:

Boatcop
06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm sure their not boat owners. Their probably PFD makers.
Actually they're made up of people all across the boating spectrum. State and Federal Boating Law Enforcement (Coast Guard, State Boating Law Administrators, etc.) Boat Builders, Marine Surveyors, Boat Supply manufacturers, and several members of the ordinary Boating Public.
The 21 member panel meets twice a year to discuss trends in boating and boating accidents, and see if they can find ways to lower the accident, injury and fatality rate.
EVERY member has extensive boating experience. None are appointed bureaucrats just there for the "prestige".
Since PFDs are required on boats anyway, PFD manufacturers wouldn't get a windfall, since they are on all the boats already.
They actually do some good in advising the Coast Guard, but not all their ideas or "resolutions" come to be.
We wear them all the time while on patrol. The inflatable ones aren't as hot as wearing a conventional PFD, but then again, we're weighted down with about 20 lbs of extra gear.
Most of our fatalities here in the desert lakes are the result of trauma, rather than drowning, or drowning brought on by collision or trauma. But most drowning fatalities nationwide happen in the winter months, in small sheltered lakes. The emphasis on PFDs needs to be placed on those that don't consider themselves boaters, like hunters and fisherman, who use boats merely as transportation to get to their favorite spots.

HCS
06-28-2004, 04:48 PM
I shouldn't be so sarcastic but RD got me going.:D
I have the O'neil neopreme coast gaurd approved ski vest.
There great for my kid, there very comfortable.
They cost a pretty penny but worth it. I wear mine in the boat on
occasions. Mostly after skiing because they keep you warm.
I'm sure there's alot of testing that go into there design.
I don't know how they would decide which people should wear
PFD's in what boats. Obviously making kids wear them is a good
idea.
Once again, common sense comes into play. If your putting you
and your family in a situation that warrants wearing a PFD.
Put them on.
I think making them manditory for everyone in every boat would
be too much forced regulation.
There's times when you need to sit in your boat and relax.
Isn't that the whole idea of boating?

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah right.
Anyone can get a drivers license. Look how many bad drivers are still on the road.
More beaurocratic boooshit!!!
How can anyone want more govt?
I don't get it.
Think about it......paaaaaaaallllleeeeeeeeeeeaaassseeeeee!!
Mow,
Wicky

Rexone
06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey RD what do ya think about the new .02 bac proposal?

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Still there are more drownings in pools and bathtubs than boats.
Everyone now needs a license to take a bath!!!
Think about it people.
More govt=less freedom!!
I thought America was about freedom??
I guess some think differently.
fu.cking revenue generators.
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Hey RD what do ya think about the new .02 bac proposal?
Can I answer that?
Welcome to the new USSR!! Build more Jails!!!
That's what I think!!

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:15 PM
As crazy as it sounds Vote LIBERTARIAN!!!

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Unless you want more rights taken away
It's all about self interest now with the two main parties.
My interest is keeping my money in MY pocket.
And also keeping the govt. out of MY business!!!
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I just returned from the dunes.
The ****ing BLM is trying to shut down the dunes.
They had botonists studying the flowers and the grass at St. Anthony's.
Well, they said the flower they were studying was in a state of emergency.
These flowers grow in the Lava rock amongst the sand dunes.
Well, who in there right mind wants to run a set of paddles through lava rock?
The funnything was they missed the bloom by four weeks.
F.U.C.King ignorance!!!
They also declared the grass on the edges of the dunes were being destroyed by us offroaders. Well, once the wind blows the sand over the grass the grass dies.
They love to change the perspective to their favor.
Kind of like the Kangaroo rat or the milk weed.
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm done.
Anyone else gonna vent?

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boatcop
[B]
The 21 member panel meets twice a year to discuss trends in boating and boating accidents, and see if they can find ways to lower the accident, injury and fatality rate.[QUOTE][
And you know each and every one on a personal level right BC?
I guess you all want to play GOD!! Fckn A man. Get real.
Oh save me please save me!!! Give me one of those great stats of yours.
MOW,
Wicky

shueman
06-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bgchuby
I just think that over a certain speed a jacket should be worn for saftey reasons. If you are just cruising up the river at 40 to 60 mph no I don't think you need it but if you are running over 80mph than you should have a jacket on. remember murphy's law.
Anyone running above 60mph should have a PFD on all passengers, AND A KILL SWITCH attached to the driver.
Just my 2¢

HCS
06-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by shueman
Anyone running above 60mph should have a PFD on all passengers, AND A KILL SWITCH attached to the driver.
Just my 2¢
That's common sense.