PDA

View Full Version : boater to help boaters

truksnboats
06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
This weekend some friends of mine were in Havasu and broke down in the middle of the lake. A number of boats went by without helping regardless of them trying to flag some one down. Finally a boat came to the rescue. Now correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't boaters help other boaters in a time of need??? This boat that "helped" my friends first asked for money then towed them to site 6 not where their truck and trailer was. Now when I heard this I was pissed. How can someone do that. That is just low class to ask for money cause one day they will be in my friend's shoes and need a tow. I have helped many people out and never took or even asked for money. What do you guys think??

91nordic29
06-28-2004, 11:39 AM
of course we should all help and not expect/accept anything except maybe a beer if offered.:cool:

chub
06-28-2004, 11:40 AM
It's against the law to leave someone stranded isn't it? Let alone just not call to at least ask if everythings ok when you see an engine hatch up. I've towed people and been towed and never taken money but I always offer money when I'm bein towed. I hate to admit it, but I've even towed in a lake lice.:eek:

HalletDave
06-28-2004, 11:41 AM
What do you guys think??
They are losers.

riverbound
There is definitely a different class of people boating nowadays. I have always helped people in need, I have been on the recieving end of many tows. In fact the last time I was at the river I helped the same guy 3 times in one weekend. During the tows I even let the guys drink my beers because I knew they were having a rough weekend. They returned the favor by bringing me a case later that weekend. What goes around comes around.

copperrat20
That is messed up!:mad: No one should charge for tow. The one time I was towed I at least offered to pay for a tank of gas and they told me absolutely not. I have since done the same. That is bull shit!:yuk:

Mrs. Restless22
06-28-2004, 11:43 AM
We were stranded one time and someone towed us in after trying to flag down several people.
We felt very stranded and helpless, it sucked to say the least, especially when you know you would do it for anyone and not ask for anything in return.
So in my opinion, you should always lend a helping hand, regardless of if your boating or not....what goes around comes around :)

SILVERWING
06-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by truksnboats
This weekend some friends of mine were in Havasu and broke down in the middle of the lake. A number of boats went by without helping regardless of them trying to flag some one down. Finally a boat came to the rescue. Now correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't boaters help other boaters in a time of need??? This boat that "helped" my friends first asked for money then towed them to site 6 not where their truck and trailer was. Now when I heard this I was pissed. How can someone do that. That is just low class to ask for money cause one day they will be in my friend's shoes and need a tow. I have helped many people out and never took or even asked for money. What do you guys think??
I MYSELF ALWAYS STOP AND ASK IF THEY NEED HELP IF THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE BROKE DOWN. I RUN THE DEZ AND THATS THE WAY WE DO IT. ONE DAY WE WILL ALL NEED A TOW OR GAS. NEXT TIME SOMEONE NEEDS HELP OFFER IT.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
If I think someone is broke down we will stop and ask if they need any help. Towed in two boats in one day back in April. I would never ask for any type of compensation for towing someone in.

BADBLOWN572
06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
It is all about the Karma. I have been on the giving end and the receiving end. Never ask for money when towing, but always offer when being towed in. If I see someone who is in need, I am always there to lend a helping hand. It is people helping people. Unfortunately quite a few people have abandoned that attitude and they have adopted the "whats in it for me?" attitude. F$%k That! Not one to wish bad karma on someone, but eventually they will need help and the only person to help them out will be someone with the same attitude.

TRIMM MANN
06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by chub
It's against the law to leave someone stranded isn't it? Let alone just not call to at least ask if everythings ok when you see an engine hatch up. I've towed people and been towed and never taken money but I always offer money when I'm bein towed. I hate to admit it, but I've even towed in a lake lice.:eek:
I completely agree with you!
I carry tools and a battery jumper with me always....I am the first to help anyone either with mecanical help or just a beer:D

welk2party
06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
I think it is more than just ettiquete to help. It is required to help stranded boaters. To ask for money is both selfish and shows a coomplete lack of class and decorum.:mad: I have towed many in. I myself have not had to be towed, but I assure you I will need to one day. I would never hesitate to help someone in need.

Ziggy
06-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Seems to me when you get your registration, other info provided with it says to help other fellow boaters in time of need. Guess many don't read that stuff.
Been on both ends of it before....its only common sense and decency let alone the safety issue to all boaters in the area.

Her454
06-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Ok how about this..... Only 2 ramps because the water is low. Sunday morning and a guys boat breaks down. He's having pump issues. Needed to go on the trailer to fix it and they couldnt float it because they couldnt get it back to the ramp. While they were waiting for their truck and trailer a line started forming (4 boats) and a guy came stomping down the ramp telling the guy to MOVE, that he was causing a back up and being inconsiderate. The guy apologized with the broke boat and tried to explain his trailer was on the way and the other guy said to get it off the ramp and fix it out in the water......guy tried to explain they couldnt and the trailer was on the way, just a few minutes. The guy was still pissed and ranting and raving about courtesy as I walked up the ramp toward the parking lot. Apparently the wife of another boater who was trying to help was waiting up top for her husband and said that "people just didnt have patience anymore and that one day the guy that was ranting and raving would need help and Karma would see to it that no one would help him". I agreed and responded with "and I hope Im there to see it". The guy throwing the tantrum left his wife in the truck and she was in earshot and jumped out her truck with a big healthy "F-you" to me. I just turned around and said "NOW THATS COURTESY". WTH? Am I wrong? Was it that big of a deal to wait an extra 3 minutes for the guys trailer? Did it ruin their day? Does the same for HELP apply to the launch ramp or only on the water?

welk2party
06-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Ok how about this..... Only 2 ramps because the water is low. Sunday morning and a guys boat breaks down. He's having pump issues. Needed to go on the trailer to fix it and they couldnt float it because they couldnt get it back to the ramp. While they were waiting for their truck and trailer a line started forming (4 boats) and a guy came stomping down the ramp telling the guy to MOVE, that he was causing a back up and being inconsiderate. The guy apologized with the broke boat and tried to explain his trailer was on the way and the other guy said to get it off the ramp and fix it out in the water......guy tried to explain they couldnt and the trailer was on the way, just a few minutes. The guy was still pissed and ranting and raving about courtesy as I walked up the ramp toward the parking lot. Apparently the wife of another boater who was trying to help was waiting up top for her husband and said that "people just didnt have patience anymore and that one day the guy that was ranting and raving would need help and Karma would see to it that no one would help him". I agreed and responded with "and I hope Im there to see it". The guy throwing the tantrum left his wife in the truck and she was in earshot and jumped out her truck with a big healthy "F-you" to me. I just turned around and said "NOW THATS COURTESY". WTH? Am I wrong? Was it that big of a deal to wait an extra 3 minutes for the guys trailer? Did it ruin their day? Does the same for HELP apply to the launch ramp or only on the water?
I can see someone getting a little mifed when the ramp is backing up. However, when he finds the reason to be a valid reason and not someone just being a jerk, HE SHOUDL SHUT THE F UP!

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Just so every knows... we cannot tow anyone... we have holes cut out through the back for our pipes and from what we were told by the old owner.. if we were to tow someone it may possibly rip our whole back end off. So if anyone has needed help and we didn't stop..that is why.

Ziggy
06-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Gee, they sound like a real happy couple---if going to the lake is fun then their homelife must be just dandy:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Patience is a virtue.

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
I am pretty sure your are required to stop and assist, and even if it isn't required by law you should. Even if the operators are all grossly intoxicated and just ran out of gas (that happened at Nacimiento) or it is full of bull dykes (Folsom Lake)... I stop and help. It's the right thing to do.

Mrs. Restless22
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Bre
Just so every knows... we cannot tow anyone... we have holes cut out through the back for our pipes and from what we were told by the old owner.. if we were to tow someone it may possibly rip our whole back end off. So if anyone has needed help and we didn't stop..that is why.
HUH? :confused: How is the back of a boat that weak? That would make me a little sketchy doing 80 :eek!:

welk2party
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Bre
:confused: I do not understand. You don't have any eyelets on your transom? Do you have a ski rope hook?

riverbound
06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Bre
That doesn't sound right that the back of the boat is that weak, you should have that checked out.

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Restless22
HUH? :confused: How is the back of a boat that weak? That would make me a little sketchy doing 80 :eek!:
let me find a pic of it. All we know is what the guy told us. He has his own company and sells boats... so we hope he knows what he is talking about.

Mrs. Restless22
06-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Has it been in an accident before??? :confused: I just dont get that....

welk2party
06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
I would get to the bottom of this pronto Bre. He is either a complete moron or he failed to communicate something to you and/ or you misunderstood. Either way, something is amiss.

TheEduKATor
06-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Our boat broke down on memorial weekend in copper canyon and people we didn't know offered to tow us for no money, but we decided to go with vessel assist because the water was pretty bad and we didn't want to be the buzz kill for our fellow boaters. I would never think about charging someone unless I did it for a business. If the person offered me a beer or gas money then they would have one less beer at the end of the tow.
A new eliminator deck boat pulled up to us when we were stranded that day and asked if everything was okay. With no hesitation, he offered to tow but we had already called for assistance. When he tried to start up his ride, nothing. So I threw him my jump starter, he fired it up and he was off with a big smile and a thank you for the help. All I ask is that you return the favor if you see someone stranded.

Ziggy
OFF TOPIC.
I think the guy must've meant not to tow at 80:D, that can't be right it wouldn't be safe otherwise...besides, helping doesn't mean you have to tow, just assist in one manner or another...like a speed run at 80 to go get some gas for 'em;)

riverbound
show us a pic of the back of the boat.

Three Days Only
06-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Twin engines always solves this problem. You can always limp back. We towed a guy in from the mouth of the river last summer, he wanted me to tow him all the way through the channel to the Lake Havasu Marina, I just said, look im doing you a favor, and I will take you to Crazy Horse, my buddy will take you to get your truck, and then you can over here and pick up your boat. The guy got all bent out of shape and started a pissing match over why I didnt want to tow him through the channel. It was July 4th weekend last year, and there is no way im towing someone through the channel, thats a disaster waiting to happen. After his attitude and bullshit we finally untied his ass and left him between Crazy Horse and the inlet to the channel. Some people just never learn!!! After that incident we pull over and call vessel assist for them, unless there close to a ramp and willing to work with us to get them out of the water in a considerable amount of time.

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Here is a pic. He had half circles cut in the back of the boat for the headers to rest on... so it is not as strong as it would be if he left it how it was orignally made... if you get what I am saying. Anyways here is a pic.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/508/1543boatback-med.jpg

Desert Rat
06-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Been on both ends of the rope. Had a guy waste 1/2 his day towing me in and there was NO WAY he wasn't going to take some gas money from me for it! Well I lost that argument so I had him and his family up at the camp site for beer and New Yorks that night! I have stopped plenty of times to ask if people are ok only to find out the engine hatch is open to get the blender out or more beer...Have even scored a Margarita or two because of these actions...:D

mirvin
06-28-2004, 12:25 PM
It's all karma on the water. People who don't help other boaters will get thiers in the end. I always stop and help. Maybe that's why anytime I've needed help there's always someone there for me;)
mirvin

welk2party
06-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I can see what you are saying now Bre. The exhaust must have been an afterthought. So ,I guess you cannot tube or ski as well.

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
I can see what you are saying now Bre. The exhaust must have been an afterthought. So ,I guess you cannot tube or ski as well.
I think he thinks the top part might rip off with enough weight pulling on it. He didn't say for sure..just said it is weaker now..and to be careful.

welk2party
06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bre
I think he thinks the top part might rip off with enough weight pulling on it. He didn't say for sure..just said it is weaker now..and to be careful.
I would look to see if the boat has plywood in the upper area. That part of the boat is generally laid up strong and with wood. It should still be plenty strong. Put a rope on the ski hook and tug. If the fiberglass flex's then I would not tow. If it feels solid, which it should, I think you should be fine. IMHO

mirvin
06-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bre
I bet you'de be alright towing. You're tow eye should be mounted throught the transom while the cutouts for the exhaust looks like it's cut out of the top of the boat. But I guess if the guy cut the boat said to be careful towing, then, there you go.
mirvin;)

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
If you look at the pic..the ski eye is at the top in between the pipes.
Bottom line..sorry we can't tow anyone if we see you. But we don't want anything to happen to our boat. :D

copperrat20
06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
we see how you are Bre!:eek: You just don't want to be seen towing anything.:p Anyway if you did tow, and you happened to turn and the rope happened to hit one of those exhaust pipes, then the rope would snap so why try!:D

mirvin
06-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Bre
If you look at the pic..the ski eye is at the top in between the pipes.
Bottom line..sorry we can't tow anyone if we see you. But we don't want anything to happen to our boat. :D
How bout we all get on here and second guess whether we can get a tow from Bre;) Oh yeah, no problem. You can tow me. I'll feel bad when your boat get's ripped apart though:D
Seriously though, it would be easy to check to see if the ski eye is through the transom. On most boats the transom goes almost to the top of the top if you know what I mean. I can't see a boat builder putting a ski eye on the back of a boat if it's not through the transom. Or maybe I'm just stoopid and they're never through the transom.......and since you've cut the top out it's not sturdy enough to tow with and that's that:)
You can still help out without towing;)
mirvin;)

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by copperrat20
we see how you are Bre!:eek: You just don't want to be seen towing anything.:p Anyway if you did tow, and you happened to turn and the rope happened to hit one of those exhaust pipes, then the rope would snap so why try!:D
If Andy parents are with us..we will make them tow people:D This last weekend one of Andys buddys was only able to idle back to camp..we had Andys parents help him out. :)

Bre
06-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
How bout we all get on here and second guess whether we can get a tow from Bre;) Oh yeah, no problem. You can tow me. I'll feel bad when your boat get's ripped apart though:D
Seriously though, it would be easy to check to see if the ski eye is through the transom. On most boats the transom goes almost to the top of the top if you know what I mean. I can't see a boat builder putting a ski eye on the back of a boat if it's not through the transom.
You can still help out without towing;)
mirvin;)
We can always give them beer while they wait for someone to come help:D ;)

Mrs. Restless22
06-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bre
Thats my kinda friend :D ;)

Some Kind Of Monster
06-28-2004, 12:54 PM
We broke down on the water a couple weeks ago. So many people went by us on Saguaro that I gave up, tied one end of a rope to the boat and one end to my bely and towed that sucker a solid mile before anyone gave a crap to stop. This isn't the first time I have done this either. Another time I swam that thing all the way in to the boat launch. It nearly killed me.

riverbound
06-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Bre
I'll take that over a tow any day:D

little rowe boat
06-28-2004, 01:10 PM
What goes around comes around,I would never leave someone stranded.

riverbound
06-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
We broke down on the water a couple weeks ago. So many people went by us on Saguaro that I gave up, tied one end of a rope to the boat and one end to my bely and towed that sucker a solid mile before anyone gave a crap to stop. This isn't the first time I have done this either. Another time I swam that thing all the way in to the boat launch. It nearly killed me.
I've been there before, We are members of this private lake in temcula and I went down one weekend to test the boat I got about half way accross the lake when all of a sudden she died and never started again. I sat in the middle of this lake for 3 hours and never saw another boat. I decide to swim the boat back while my wife and kiods were in the boat. When I finally made it to shore I just laid there on the beach for an hour in the dirt. Now when go I make sure there is someone going with me, or at least someone else on the water.

Roxysnow
06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I've towed a couple boats at havasu over the last couple years and even bust out the cell to get vessel assist in the mornings. But sometimes it's difficult to tell whose broke when some people start waving those ORANGE FLAGS! 98% of the time they have people swimming behind the boat or don't lift the engine hatch. I started carrying a RED FLAG just in case of breakdown. But I ever flew by anyone broke. I am sorry! Karma will prevail in the long run!

welk2party
06-28-2004, 01:15 PM
I would just use the oar that all of us are required to have on board. Broke down a short distance from the dock and just paddled in.

Bre
06-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I would just use the oar that all of us are required to have on board. Broke down a short distance from the dock and just paddled in.
:D I would have too. I went and bought another one...but it is sitting in the garage...Andy said we are only required to have one... and he doesn't want it taking up room in his boat.. but if you do break down your gonna need two to get anywhere... hopefully we will never find out how right I am:rolleyes: :D ;)

Sun burners
06-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I once went by and laughed at some people stuck on a sandbar at night,
It was the same boat that went by us laughing saying "I hope you have enough beer"
when we were trying to help another boater out!
I guess they got there karma early!

welk2party
06-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I only carry one. I have noticed that my tunnel moves pretty well with the oar if I sit up front.

HCS
06-28-2004, 01:54 PM
When I had an older boat it needed to be towed, it seemed, atleast
once a year.
I would almost always offer beer or money for the tow. Most of the
time people would not except money but were good for the beer.
One time I had a guy want money for a tow. But he was in a
blown flattie and said he would burn a set of plugs towing us in.
It was a long tow for his boat.
We didn't have a problem with that. So we gave him like 14 bucks.

LASERRAY
06-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Last weekend at Lake McClure I towed a 17' Crownline with a family of four in it from the middle of the lake back to the ramp. They offered me money which I declined. When they asked me why I didn't want anything in return, I pointed to the two ten year old boys in my boat and told the people that I was trying to teach the boys a lesson..;)

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Three Days Only
Twin engines always solves this problem.
Not if you run out of fuel...

Just Tool'n
06-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I know I was born in 1960, I was raised to allways help people out, if they are stranded on the lake. I have personally helped sevral people over the years.
The most memorable was 2 hispanic males that had just picked up a boat, a well used & worn boat. They had launched on the Fresno side of Millerton Lake.
Now you can go for 10-15 from the main ramp till you start up the river channel where it starts to get narrow. These 2 guys are waving & yelling for people to stop & help. No one will stop & help them.
I have my brother & my wife with me, we stop & see what is wrong with them.
Guess what, they put the boat in the water, started going up river with no plug in the boat. She is taking on quite a bit of water by now, neither one knows how to swim. So I tow them back to the closest beach area, so they can put the ass end close to shore, reach under & put the plug in it, then give them a small bucket to start bailing.
I never would think of asking for money or anything like that!
Does everyone remember the Cowboys & Indians. The Indians use to offer the old peacepipe as a token of their appreciation.
In todays world the symbolic peacepipe is the universally offering of A Beer. Or better yet a 12 pack of beer.
Look how far the civilized world has advanced.

77charger
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
If flagged down i will help for sure.at least get them to a ramp.Or if i feel i will be the only one they see or only shot at help i will stop(no flag down needed getting dark,low traffic,cove,etc)I have been in these sits before someone helped out i offered money after and no one to this day has accepted as i will not accept it either.I hit the sand dunes in winter and have also helped many get ubstuck even ine at night in the middle of the dunes so i feel if you help at one time or another the favor will be returned since any boat or vehicle can leave you stranded

riverbound
06-28-2004, 04:16 PM
If you are hard up for money you could get in the habbit of towing people in and you could probablly eat& drink for free all weekend. It would only cost you a little bit of gas.

Jbb
06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I have towed in many....I always carry a tool bag in the boat and am always ready to help......I would never ask for or accept money to help a fellow boater...I was sitting in the Lake last week with the guy who bought my boat...just explaining the boat to him....In the span of 5 minutes 3 boats stopped to see if we were alright.....
I launched my boat 2 years ago....got back in the truck....would not start...fuel pump took a dump at the absolute worst time...very busy day ramp backed up....an embarassing moment for sure......no one said anything rude and everyone tried to help....Thats the way its supposed to be!....You folks need to move to Ga....No drama....:D

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Bre, underneath the swimsteps somewhere theres's probably eyes to tie the boat down to the trailer. Then just tow them slow.. ;) Like barely above idle slow.
RD

RiverDave
06-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Yet another thread BTW, that's really making me question what in the **** is going on up in Havi nowdays?
RD

XTRM22
06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I try to be observant, I have towed people in a bunch, and even pulled some guys off of what is now the mini SandBar, when they accidently go stuck on it. If you are in need you do have to let people know it somehow, I like jumping up and down waving my arms alot:D , The one time I got towed in, I guess people could tell I was having problems, laying over the bow trying to paddle my 22' boat with that cool 3' long aluminum paddle.:D
Chuck

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
There has been one occasion when I couldn't tow somebody in.
My waterpump wasn't doing its job and I let them know that.
Other than that I feel there is no excuse.
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
06-28-2004, 05:38 PM
I even stopped for the broke down sherriffs boat.

Bre
06-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Bre, underneath the swimsteps somewhere theres's probably eyes to tie the boat down to the trailer. Then just tow them slow.. ;) Like barely above idle slow.
RD
There's nothing like that back there to tie the boat down. We only tow it a couple miles to storage... so that's as far as it goes... but all we have is swim steps and that one in between the pipes:confused:

TCHB
06-28-2004, 06:33 PM
I towed a guy in two weekends ago and think we all should help out. Yes today the boaters have changed and helping each other out is becoming rare! We have been boating for many years and know everyone needs a tow sooner or later.

Wicky
06-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by TCHB
We have been boating for many years and know everyone needs a tow sooner or later.
Hit the nail on the head!! Karma goes a long way when your stranded!!
Mow,
Wicky

Some Kind Of Monster
06-28-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't believe it is required to have an oar in an 18' jet boat in Arizona. Besides:
A: It was hot and I wanted to get in the water
B: It was faster swimming.
I sure hope I meet one of you next time I am stuck in the water.

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Wicky
I even stopped for the broke down sherriffs boat.
That's going a little too far......... LOL........:D

plaster dave
06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
your absolutely right people should help out i broke a rocker stud up @ the gordge on fathers day weekend ,and some really nice people towed me all the way to the channel, and i gave them $ 50.00 cause that was all i had THANK YOU SOOOOOO much for the tow who ever you were. they drove a 28' conquest deck boat. white, blue, & yellow.:D

STV_Keith
06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Only guy I have had to help so far was this poor guy with a pontoon in Havasu. He was in the river north of the sandbar when I went by. He was waving his arms so I kept watching him for a few seconds. About 5 boats went by the other way without even looking.
Now, he was kinda off in the reeds, but you could see him pretty plain. So I turned around to see what was up. Here's this guy in I'd say about a 24' aluminum pontoon with a I/O. Said it burned up. Well, the boat is in the reeds, his wife, mother and young'n (under 1 y/o) are in the boat.
Well, my boat isn't going to tow anything. Tried the cell...no service, so I gave the guy a ride to Topoc to call Sea Tow.
The look he gave me when I offered him some goggles for the ride to Topoc was priceless. :D He declined anyway, and I kept it under 70. He called from Topoc, then I gave him a ride back to his boat.
This one was sneaky though. While at Topoc, I decided to top the tank off...he paid the bartender/pump attendant before I could get back to settle up.
What comes around, goes around...