PDA

View Full Version : Storage Questions

rsr
06-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Question for you guys that store your boats in your garages at the river - how do you deal with the gas fumes and what do you do to keep your garage/boat cool? Went up to the house last week after being away for a few weeks,noticed stronger than normal gas fumes/odor in garage. Never leave very much gas in the tank, always drain the majority out before coming home and put it in the truck. Worried for obvious reasons, especially with water heater in garage. Short of asking the neighbor to open it up every few days, not sure what to do. As for cooling, do you guys run swamp coolers, attic fans to circulate air above garage, AC, or nothing at all. Thanks in advane for any and all help with these issues.

phebus
06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
My boat fumes and fries. The fumes are the tanks venting and won't reach flamable levels, and I can't afford to cool down the garage when I'm not there. Neither has been a problem. As a safety precaution, I make sure I don't store the boat with any beer on it, and consume it all before I leave. :D

summerlove
06-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by phebus
As a safety precaution, I make sure I don't store the boat with any beer on it, and consume it all before I leave. :D
I have been known to help him transfer his beer to my mouth on occasion!:D
To also answer the question, I don't leave any windows or doors open and i do not run my swamp. My garage very seldom gets above mid 90's and when I'm there I cool it to about 72-74 degrees with the swamp.
If you're in Havasu, most likely you have an electric water heater so that won't be a problem.
If the odor is that strong, you may have more than a venting problem - possibly a fuel line issue. You may want to check it out.

h2oski2fast
06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Just shut off the water heater when you leave. I don't know of too many people that leave them running after they leave.

HCS
06-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Same here, my boat fumes and fries.
Don't use swamp coolers what ever you do. It's too much moisture.
Things could get moldy. Get some attic fans with heat sensors.
One of those should do the trick.
Home Depot.

summerlove
06-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by h2oski2fast
Just shut off the water heater when you leave. I don't know of too many people that leave them running after they leave.
good point - i usually shut mine down fo rthe summer anyway. Water is so hot it doesn't need to be heated any more!:eek!:

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Stored our boat in our garage for the past 3 years and we've never had a problem with fumes. The garage does not have A/C and it only gets to about 105 anyway. Water heater is electric so I'm not really worried about the fumes. As previsouly said, if you are worried, turn the water heater off.

rsr
06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys - I know that turning off the water heater is a quick fix, just wondered if there were any other options (FYI - it is a gas, not electric heater).
Hardcore-Ski - do you have any experience with the attic fans with heat sensors - do they work pretty good? How expensive?