PDA

View Full Version : Escrow County Taxes

Cole Sanger
06-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Am I crazy, or should I be really pissed that my county taxes are going up $55 a month on my house. That's after I pay the $660 that my escrow account is short. I have lived in this house for 4 years and the most I ever paid was a one time catch up escrow fee of $60 and my monthy payment went up something like $15. This is crazy. Am I the only one? I live in Maricopa County in AZ by the way.

Boatcop
06-28-2004, 06:53 PM
You can appeal your increase in Property taxes to the board of adjustment, and if they blow you off, to the Board of Spuervisors.
Although I don't think you'll have much of a chance. The way property values have risen, you'll probably be better off keeping quiet on the whole deal. After a review, they may even raise them some more.
Quick question. Did you do any improvements this past year that required taking out a building permit? And did the improvements increase the value of the property?
Any increase in valuation is limited, based on the previous years value. I think it's 10% of the previous year, or 25% of the difference between it's limited value and full cash value. This however is the "Limited Value" for general property tax computation.
Also check to see if there were any substantial increase in property tax rates for the County, Schools, Fire Districts, Community Colleges, etc.
The County Assessors Office can explain the whole deal to you.
My preperty taxes doubled last year, mainly due to improvements I made on my house. I can't really complain, though. It's still valued at only about 75% of it's market value.

Wicky
06-28-2004, 07:04 PM
My property taxes doubled. No improvements. Just more Govt.

Wicky
06-28-2004, 07:06 PM
BTW, most of the time they will underestimate because they will be liable if they are incorrect.

Cole Sanger
06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
No improvements here either. The last four years they have gone up slightly like I said, but I can't believe this. I refinanced last year, and now I am going to be paying the same as I was before. I didn't take out any money when I refinanced either. I think it is due to living in Gilbert, AZ which is the fastest growing city in the country right now, or so I hear. If the taxes were to stay the way they are now, at $55 more per month, that would be over $19000.00 more over the life of the loan, and you just know they are going to go up over that time.