PDA

View Full Version : Help Roz! Pics of my amp....

FRANK THE TANK
06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
OK, here are my issues. I can't get the power light to come on. I have changed the fuse and checked the amp with a voltage meter to make sure I have power running to it. Still nothing. I'm at a loss. Next, how can I tell is this amp is even going to be able to power a sub? Can I run my four 6X9's with my head unit (like they are now) and power a sub (or two) off this amp? Am I wasting my time with this old equipment and should I just buy some new stuff? What would you suggest I use as a sub (size, brand, cost, etc...) and amp if I were to buy new ones?
Thanks Chris! I can give you a call or you can give me a call at work if you'd prefer....
Here's my boat just so you have an idea of what I'm working with?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P1010035-med.jpg
Pictures of the amp........ They are all in the Image Center if you need to blow them up for some more detail...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280001-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280004-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280005-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280006-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280007-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280008-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280009-med.JPG

Havasu Hangin'
06-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by FRANK THE TANK
I can't get the power light to come on. I have changed the fuse and checked the amp with a voltage meter to make sure I have power running to it.
I'm not Roz...
...but do you have 12 volts to the remote, too? Speakers and RCAs hooked up correctly?
I wouldn't power subs with that amp...

FRANK THE TANK
06-28-2004, 07:52 PM
No.....:confused:
I didn't know what that was for so I didn't want to put power to it without asking? What is that port for?
Thanks for the help!

MOBrien
06-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Sorry for imposing on your thread, but I'm gonna run into the same issue as you "Frank The Tank" when I go to install my new equip. and figured I could learn something from this one.
ROZ & HH, the remote port is for the turn-on switch right? Should be getting a power signal from the ignition or head unit when it gets turned on...thus powering up the amp???
:idea:
-MOB

MOBrien
06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah and.......
self-imposed Frank The Tank nickname?
That's awesome!
Yer....yer crazy man
I'm tired..
:sleeping:
hehe

Havasu Hangin'
06-28-2004, 08:19 PM
The amp uses the power/ground to run the amp...
...but the remote wire is what turns it on. Most head units have a "REM" (or power antenna) wire coming out, which is +12 volts only when you switch the head unit on. It keeps the amp off until you need it.
I'll bet $1 you solved your problem.

FRANK THE TANK
06-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Just got power. Thanks!!!!!

MOBrien
06-28-2004, 08:27 PM
nice.
That helps me as well HH...thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
06-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Just got power. Thanks!!!!!
Wait til you guys get my bill...

FRANK THE TANK
06-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Any help on all the other stuff HH? You know a lot more than I do about this topic!
What if I used all the power from this amp to only power one small sub? Is that possible while still powering my 6x9's off my head unit?

BoatFloating
06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Wait til you guys get my bill...
Grey Goose and Red Bull.....

BlownHowardCat
06-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Did ya use the blue wire coming out of the head unit ?? :p

BlownHowardCat
06-28-2004, 10:16 PM
FRANK THE TANK...........your in Alhambra?........I'm right by the 7-11 on Mission & Chapel........Ya need any help just send me a msg

Havasu Hangin'
06-28-2004, 11:01 PM
What if I used all the power from this amp to only power one small sub? Is that possible while still powering my 6x9's off my head unit?
I don't think you can bridge that 4 channel amp down to a mono load (one sub). I'd go with something with a little more power for the sub, and use that for the 6x9's.
I really don't like those little amps in the head units...I'd only use them as a last resort.
Just my "non-expert" opinion...

ROZ
06-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Is that RC's old boat???
Sorry Frank...I just got in.. Glad to see good OLD HH was able to help ya out :D

TrojanDan
06-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by BlownHowardCat
FRANK THE TANK...........your in Alhambra?........I'm right by the 7-11 on Mission & Chapel........Ya need any help just send me a msg
That pic sure doesn't look like Alhambra. :D Frank lives just East of Garfield Ave and North of the 10 Fwy. I live on Atlantic and Woodward just a block North of Main St. Small world. :cool:
Sorry Frank, looks like your screwed. Just give Roz your Visa or Mastercard and I'm sure he'll set you up with a pretty phat system. :D

FRANK THE TANK
06-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to get the bar out to open my bank account up and spend some money!!!! Thanks for all the 411 though guys!

SCUBA STEVE
06-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Frank is going to become a stereo addict now. :D
Frank & Dan does your boat stereo play mp3's? Got some new non stop scuba mixes to donate!! :cool:

FRANK THE TANK
06-30-2004, 07:54 AM
My POS radio does not play MP3's........ It barely plays CD's.... LOL
I think I am becoming a radio addict! OK, here's one more question. Can I run my four 6x9's off of this amp and then power two speakers in the bow off my head unit? I think that would do the trick and save me some money since I won't have to buy all that other equipment and I hopefully will be buying a bigger boat in the future.
Thanks for all the help guys!

TrojanDan
06-30-2004, 08:16 AM
I think that would do the trick and save me some money since I won't have to buy all that other equipment
Stop being a cheap ass! Go buy a decent 4 or 5 channel amp and you'll be fine. Is pops raising the rent or what?? :D
Yo Scuba, why sure my head unit plays MP3. :cool: See you Friday at the sandbar.

FRANK THE TANK
06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
You love my rent payment........:D

DOHARA
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
If your on a budget that amp could work to run the 4 6x9's and a 10" sub. If I'm not mistaken either of the channels has a bridged mono connection. He can run the four 6x9's on channels A/B and bridge C/D channels in mono for the sub. It's not the best way to do it but it will work for a budget system then later he can get a class d amp to run the subs and use this amp as a 4 channel for the 6x9's. Low pass the sub at 80hz and high pass the 6x9's at 80hz.

Havasu Hangin'
06-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DOHARA
If I'm not mistaken either of the channels has a bridged mono connection. He can run the four 6x9's on channels A/B and bridge C/D channels in mono for the sub.
Can that amp handle a 2 ohm (2-4 ohm speakers in parallel) load on channels A & B?

ROZ
06-30-2004, 11:26 AM
You 're correct sir.... It's suppose to be 2ohm stable. He can run it in a 3 channel mode. :)

FRANK THE TANK
06-30-2004, 02:00 PM
I have no idea what you all are talking about?????????
:confused:

ROZ
07-01-2004, 08:25 AM
I have no idea what you all are talking about?????????
:confused:
Your amp is a 4 channel model:
Front left
Front right
Rear left
Rear right
The amp can be run 3 ways.
The each pair of the front and rear channels can be bridged(combined) to make it a 2 channel output
The front left and right channels can be run as they are(independent 2 channel) with the rear channels (right / left) briged (combined) to make a mono output (1 channel) to run subwoofers. 3 channel output
It can be run in the standard 4 chanel output
He is suggesting running it in a 3 channel mode. The front left running your 2 left 6x9's; The front right running your 2 right 6x9's; The rear left and right channels briged(combined) to run one or 2 low powered subs. Since you plan to sell the boat, this would be a good option for you.
Because of the wiring configuration (parallel) front 2 channels will give you less resistance, the amp will increase output and will run hotter. You will need to put a fan on it in order to help keep it cool.
Configuration X illustrates how you'd wire your front 4 speakers into your a and b channels
configuration Y ilustrates how you'd wire a single subwoofer to your c and d
Configuration Z illustrates how you'd wire a pair of subwoofers to your c and d channels
* If you want to run 2 subw, I'd consider running them independently. 1 on each c and d channel. This will keep the amp running a little cooler. It really depends on what impedance woofers you have, though...
http://www.bcae1.com/images/gifs/bridg24.gif
:)

KACHINA KEN
07-01-2004, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't power subs with that amp... [/B][/QUOTE]
Ditto, not dissin your shit but that amp is for mid/highs and not many at that. Right tool for the right job = less probs bro.
Kenny

ROZ
07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
If he is selling the boat and wants to have tunes above the quality of his head unit, this is an inexpensive way to go. It fits his need at this time. It may not be the best approach, but it will work for what he wants...
He'll want more the next time around :D He knows it :D

KACHINA KEN
07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
If he is selling the boat and wants to have tunes above the quality of his head unit, this is an inexpensive way to go. It fits his need at this time. It may not be the best approach, but it will work for what he wants...
He'll want more the next time around :D He knows it :D
We ALWAYS want more , thats why were boat junkies eh Rozzy?
Kenny

DOHARA
07-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I agree with ROZ. That amp will work fine for now. It says it's 1 ohm stable. I don't think he's going to be runnin 15" with it, just a entry level 10" or 12" will be ok for some low end he's looking for. :D
dano

FRANK THE TANK
07-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Roz. Your explanation really helped me a lot. I think what I'm going to do is run the three channel example you illustrated. That sounds like the best short term and inexpensive solution for now.
Thanks again to everyone for the input. I would have still been tearing my hair out trying to get power to the darn amp if it wasn't for your guys...... See you in Havazoo this weekend!!!
FTT
:D