PDA

View Full Version : Best route to Laramie Wyoming?

TheEduKATor
06-28-2004, 08:35 PM
I know this really isn't boating related, but the boards have been very helpful to me in the past so I wanted to see if I could get some input. We are making a little trip to Laramie, Wyoming and I'm towing my brother's car. I've never made the drive before and not familiar with the terrain or elevation. Does anyone have any info on what would be the best route there for towing. We are thinking of either the 15 into Utah then the 80 though Wyoming or the 15 to the 70 through Utah and Colorado then up the 25 to the 80 into Wyoming. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Eagle
06-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Personally I'd just go up 15 to around provo, Heber City I think it is and cut over to I-80, then just take that to Laramie. I don't think the detour into Colorado would gain you much at all...

Boozer
06-29-2004, 07:22 AM
I know it's none of my business but I'm curious. what are you going to Laramie for?

Dr. Eagle
06-29-2004, 07:55 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1152007.jpg
Maybe he just needs some space... ;)

Phat Matt
06-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
I know it's none of my business but I'm curious. what are you going to Laramie for?
His Bro is going to school there.

Sleek-Jet
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
I would head up 15 to Barstow, then take 40 East, when you get to Needles, STOP!!! spend a few days at the river, then go home.
Make up excuse as to why you didn't show up. :D

HighRoller
06-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Keep it simple if you're towing. 15 to Salt Lake and 80 East. Stay the hell away from I-70 East unless you want to spend night and day climbing two 10,000ft mountains and traversing 6-8% grades! Not towing friendly, even though it is a "short cut".

Dr. Eagle
06-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Keep it simple if you're towing. 15 to Salt Lake and 80 East. Stay the hell away from I-70 East unless you want to spend night and day climbing two 10,000ft mountains and traversing 6-8% grades! Not towing friendly, even though it is a "short cut".
I am not so sure it is a "shortcut" taking 70 at all. I just did a Mapquest request for driving directions for the "shortest route" and it came up with I-15 to I-80. You are right, 70 is a tough tow route.

Wicky
06-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Take a look at the 93N (just outside of Vegas) instead of taking the 15N all the way to the 80. There is a ton of construction on the 15 going through Salt Lake that you might want to avoid.
The 93 is a kick ass highway. Easy towing when there isn't snow. No construction as of a couple of months ago. Besides, you might see a UFO going through area 51.
Mow,
Wicky

CARGUY
06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
I have made the run between here and Denver several times and I am in agreement with what everyone has said. Take 80 across it is better than 70. 70 between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs is o.k., but from Glenwood Springs to Denver is a mo**** fu****.
Good luck!!

Wicky
06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
They've got some bitchin fireworks for sale there from what I remember. Bring some extra cash.

Rev. Williams
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I just made this trip last month when I drove to Wisconsin for my boat..... I went 15 - 70E - 25N - 80E on the way there and that 70E "Shortcut" is beautiful to see but is a lot of work and once you get up into Cheyenne from the 25N you'll actually be past Laramie.
The 15N to the 80E is a really nice drive and the roads are so much better then anything here in CA that you can really fly. (This is the route I took coming home)
FYI:
There's a small diner on Main Street right across the street from the Laramie Harley Dealership that serves up a nice burger !!! :D

TheEduKATor
06-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm droping my bro off for a year at Wyotech. I'll probably take the 15 to the 80 on the way up there since I'll be towing. On the way back I might go through Colorado for the view since I won't have a trailer behind me. Thanks for the input, once again. Sorry Phatt Matt, Dell's will be closed for the next week at least.

Nitro Neil
06-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Get a map and a calculator. They work really well.:confused:

Boozer
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
You guys sound like a bunch of sissy's with your "Towings a bitch" crap. I have towed along I-70 many many times. If you think towing 70 is a bitch try towing up and down the Berthoud pass.
However, take the Colorado detour on your way home. If you don't you'll most likely get stuck going through Colorado at night which is a bitch. Deer are all over the highways at night. If you head through on your way back you'll see it during the day and it is a gorgeous drive.
When are you guys heading out this way?

TheEduKATor
06-29-2004, 04:27 PM
We are leaving tomorrow from san bernardino, not sure when we will hit laramie though, maybe friday sometime.

Sleek-Jet
06-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Boozer is right about coming back.
Take a couple days and see the country. Personally I would take Hwy 285 out of Denver down to Salida, over Monarch pass, to Montrose, the south to Ridgeway and either over "the Million Dollar Hwy" through Silverton to Durango, or peel off and go through Telluride and into the 4 corners, then down through Monument Valley, maybe hit the Grand Canyon then hit I40 and cruise on back to SoCal.
That trip would take a couple days, but I'll be in the 4 Corners area over the long weekend and I'll buy you guys a beer if you come back that way. :D
Sleek "Born and Bred Colorado Native" Jet

Phat Matt
06-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
I'm droping my bro off for a year at Wyotech. I'll probably take the 15 to the 80 on the way up there since I'll be towing. On the way back I might go through Colorado for the view since I won't have a trailer behind me. Thanks for the input, once again. Sorry Phatt Matt, Dell's will be closed for the next week at least.
Where am I going to get my tacos and 40's now? :confused: ahhhhhhhhh :D

LHC Kirby
06-29-2004, 09:27 PM
TheduKATor check your PM

BarryMac
06-30-2004, 05:18 AM
how about a 747...:D
gjb