PDA

View Full Version : ESSEX Regatta 2004

Todd969
06-29-2004, 06:22 AM
Looks like I'm going to be the first to stir up this mess. What can we say about the ESSEX regatta this weekend? Maybe completely a P.O.S. or maybe just crappy? or completely disorganized? Whatever term you choose it will always be remembered for Amy's nasty attitude ( which she can shove right back up her bum) and Ron's don't bother me finger pointing. From the BBQ ( which was a joke: wait over an hour for 1 hot dog ) to the dinner which ran out of food: stood in line for over an hour. ( we ended up going out to town after already paying 15 bucks a piece for dinner tickets ) Ever since we bought our boat I've had nothing but lousey customer service from them so why should i expect the regatta to be any different? We've attended many regattas with other family and friends and I would have been embarrassed to have any of them with me. I'm going to send a copy of Jack Mitchell's "Hug Your Customer " book to Ron and hopefully he'll see the big picture in succeeding. I'm not the only person out there that has the same feelings, so I do hope others share. My wife and I are seriously ready to upgrade to a larger boat and ESSEX make an awsum product, but with the experience over 2 years it's makes it really hard to buy from them again.

slink
06-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Shoulda bought a Shockwave:D .............beat ya to it Frenchie:p

Todd969
06-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Funny you should mention that, look at a couple of 25's this weekend and really like them.

slink
06-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Give Barry or Bob a call, 909-898-9360 They will treat ya right.

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2004, 07:30 AM
There wouldn't be a need to talk about Amy if that old thread was still around :D
The fact that she's still at Essex speaks volumes about that company's management and sales style. Great boats but...I wonder if their skyrocketing prices have anything to do with their change in attitude? The last regatta they had was quite good and well run. It's a shame to hear this.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Todd, I see you're from Temple City, that's where I grew up, class of 89.
We were at the regatta as well, our third one, and aside from the dinner fiasco, which was obviously a major screw-up on the part of the caterer, we thought it was a good event with the best entertainment they have had on Friday night.
Friends of ours that live in town and were with us on Friday night and all day Saturday, except for the dinner, said it was one of the best regattas they have ever seen in terms of turnout and the beach party and they attend just about every regatta. Are there areas for improvement, with any event of that size, of course there are. Hopefully all parties involved learn from mistakes/miscues that were made.

Todd969
06-29-2004, 07:46 AM
You must have been at the front of the line. Everyone will have different opinions on this subject. I think I was pointing more towards the whole pissing match that I witnessed between Ron, Amy and several Essex cutomers. I love the construction of my boat and couldn't say anything bad about that, but their customer service sucks.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Todd969
Everyone will have different opinions on this subject.
Exactly.
MMD, do you even have a boat yet? LMAO

duffster
06-29-2004, 08:03 AM
It was still a great weekend regardless of the regatta issues.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by duffster
It was still a great weekend regardless of the regatta issues.
Yes, it was! As I said, our group had a great time!

Essex502
06-29-2004, 08:27 AM
We also were there this weekend and had a great time. Got to the registration and got in line Friday night when it open...in and out in about 15 minutes. Relaxed and spent the evening enjoying the Tahitian dancers and music. Great night. Saturday was a little awkward getting the parade started but with over two hundred boats trying to line up for a cruise through the channel you can imagine the difficulty but it went off pretty well.
For the BBQ...yes that was too long to wait for the hot dogs but that was organized by Joker's Wild, I believe, but apologies to Todd if he didn't plan the SINGLE BBQ line. Otherwise, the day went great and had a good time.
Saturday night's fiasco was a complete failure of someone and I don't know whether it was Essex's fault or Shugrue's Catering (their truck was outside) but the one dinner line and running out of food before even a 1/4 of the people were fed was inexcusable. The caterer blamed the early folks in line (self serve bufffet) for taking too much food, but neither did the caterer take our dinner tickets (anyone could have been in line) nor did they have remotely enough food. Ron's appology and offer to refund the dinner ticket charge and his attempt to bring in In-N-Out burgers for everyone was probably the best he could do at the time. I'm not really sure how else Essex could have handled it.
As to any confrontation with Amy and Ron and Essex owners I can't comment as I didn't see that even though we were seated only 1 row from the stage.
I have to give props to Essex and Ron especially for trying to cope with an ugly situation the best that they could. He probably gave away $15, 000 worth of stuff including the Plasma TV. While this might not have soothed the hurt feelings nor the empty bellies I think his effort shouldn't be dismissed.
Overall, we had a good time.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Well said E502 and as you already know since we talked about it during the dinner/prize giveaway on Saturday night, I agree with you.

K9Blitz
06-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Brutal opening thread. I love how the shockwave crew jumped at the chance to move their product! I read Frenchies posts just so I can look at the pic of his boat. Love the graphics.
Anyway, I gotta cut some slack to the Essex folks. They wrote the big check to some vendors that dropped the ball. But that's not the point.
I bet That Jeff Guy wouldn't buy another Commander just because they put on a regatta with a short lines and an endless supply of hot dogs. Though Bayliner (being a Brunswick company) has the resources to throw a flawless bash, I wouldn't buy one of their pieces of crap.
When I bought an Essex, I bought the boat. Not their ability or inability to throw a flawless regatta or stock a gift shop with T's and beach towels.
I will say that Ron is bit eccentric, but as long his company keeps producing a bulletproof ride, I don't care if wears a speedo with black dress socks and sandals to his regattas. I would buy another Essex for what I believe are the right reasons.
Did they really give away a plasma television.

Dr. Eagle
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
completely a P.O.S. or maybe just crappy? or completely disorganized? We've attended many regattas with other family and friends and I would have been embarrassed to have any of them with me.
I am SURE that the Laser Regatta won't be like that.... right guys?;)

Kilrtoy
06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I love how the shockwave crew jumped at the chance to move their product
what shockwave crew is that...:confused:

BENZEEN
06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by K9Blitz
I don't care if wears a speedo with black dress socks and sandals to his regattas.
LMAO! K9Blitz, that is some funny shit.
I was there for the regatta, but missed most of the festivities. It looked like Friday night was a good party. We missed the rest of the activities after the parade on Saturday. We parked in the channel and were too hammered to safely drive anywhere.
We ended up at Kokamos til closing, slept in our boats til 2:30AM. Its sounds as though we did not miss anything. I just regret not meeting more of the Essex owners.
Although I did meet Mandelon and SDlifesaver while floating in a cove on Sunday. Cool Peeps.
-Vik

Ziggy
06-29-2004, 12:00 PM
From my understanding, Essex has a regatta every two years. You'd think that after 2 years of planning they'd get it all right.
But to be fair, most of these events are carefully planned with RSVP and supplies are purchased accordingly....so did everyone that attend RSVP? Doubtful.
I also have heard/seen more than a few displeased comments about Essex's regatta and the arguments within....its a shame.
Bottom line is your at the river, you have a great boat...have fun and roll with the punches...Life ain't perfect.
Like my personal Credo: Whatever happens is NORMAL:D

GBLASER
06-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Wasn't the regatta put on by Jokers Wild Productions? Are they also in charge of the food?

Ziggy
06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Well said E502 and as you already know since we talked about it during the dinner/prize giveaway on Saturday night, I agree with you.
You should be happy HDreamin'...I hear you did pretty good on the poker run:D and a nice airpump too;)
Cool deal :) :D

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
You should be happy HDreamin'...I hear you did pretty good on the poker run:D and a nice airpump too;)
Cool deal :) :D
Yes, 2nd place in the poker run winning $1k was very nice! We had a great time att eh regatta and got to meet some new peeps which was nice as well.
Who do we mutually know? I don't think we've ever met before have we?

Essex502
06-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GBLASER
Wasn't the regatta put on by Jokers Wild Productions? Are they also in charge of the food?
I would think that Joker's Wild was in charge of the food only because Todd's people were there giving out t-shirts, towels, coolies and I don't know what else. Then again...I can't say for sure.
And yep...they did give away a $5,000 Plasma TV. Plus lots of other stuff.

Mandelon
06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BENZEEN
LMAO! K9Blitz, that is some funny shit.
Although I did meet Mandelon and SDlifesaver while floating in a cove on Sunday. Cool Peeps.
-Vik
Thanks for coming over, it was nice to meet with ya. Did your wife give you a hard time about meeting strange guys on the internet???? :D :D

Ziggy
06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Who do we mutually know? I don't think we've ever met before have we? Nope, haven't had the pleasure to meet you yet but you did meet my 6'3" buddy and his 4'11" wife, Dennis and Trina----they're my spies;) :D
Contrary to what I've heard, he said you were very cool....:D j/k
I guess they spent some time with you and E502.:)

Havasu_Dreamin
06-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Nope, haven't had the pleasure to meet you yet but you did meet my 6'3" buddy and his 4'11" wife, Dennis and Trina----they're my spies;) :D
Yes, they did. They sat with us at dinner and hung out on Saturday during teh day and the morning raft up as well. Very cool peeps.

Todd969
06-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Now that I've taken some bashing I feel better. I'm sure Jokers Wild was to blame for the dinner and activities, but I did see Amy get very nasty with another owner and that's when I said Fu** this.
I do agree about the bullitt proof boat, but what happens when something does happen and the customer service side fails? Apparently I'm the only one who has taken their boat in for service there spotless and had it returned with grease marks on the seats and a filthy interior. To top it off Anthony the service manager told me upper management said there job was done.
Kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth going forward.

slowinhavasu
06-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Jokers wild was not in charge of any food, including the start time of the hot dogs, ordering or serving dinner. Ron made it very clear that it was his show and JW was there to guide the program. So to speak. And for the record, it was JW that ran to get burgers to to calm down the crowd. They had no obligation to do so.
I say let boat builders build boats, and regatta people run ragattas !
Overall I had a good time, allthough we didn't attend the dinner.It was the most boats I've ever seen at one reggatta..
Thanks again to Scott and Bill for having us.....be safe

cc322
06-29-2004, 03:56 PM
We had some friends attend and they came away very disapointed with the whole regatta, We drove buy in our boat and the beach looked very nice, alot of stuff for the kids to do, but from what they said waiting an hour for a hot dog just plain sucks, and they were not able to get dinner because the food was all gone, that is just shitty planning imo. It did look like they had a great turn out though. As far as Amy when we looked at Essex she kinda had her nose in the air and got a little tude. Oh well better luck next couple years.

BENZEEN
06-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Thanks for coming over, it was nice to meet with ya. Did your wife give you a hard time about meeting strange guys on the internet???? :D :D
No, she didn't. We have a mutual agreement. She can meet guys on the internet and so can I. I think that works out in her favor!

BENZEEN
06-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Apparently I'm the only one who has taken their boat in for service there spotless and had it returned with grease marks on the seats and a filthy interior. To top it off Anthony the service manager told me upper management said there job was done.
T969,
No, your not the only one. You are right about the management. The underlings try very hard to take care of you, like Anthony, Wendy, and Lewis. But, it seems their hands are a bit tied. Ultimately, Steve has the final say so.
I have only had a couple little things rub me the wrong way. For the most part, they have been on top of my service issues.
-Vik

cola
06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Nope, haven't had the pleasure to meet you yet but you did meet my 6'3" buddy and his 4'11" wife, Dennis and Trina----they're my spies;) :D
Yes I would have to say Dennis and the little women have a very nice boat.:D

Phat Matt
06-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Cola. It was nice meeting you in the channel on Saturday, even though you are from Yucaipa. :p :D

cola
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
I was thinking the same about you two. I think you need to give the blender another chance. Nice boat you have also. We rolled by the Educatot's outside of Parker Sunday night. I thought teachers took off ALL SUMMER.
The best part of the regatta was watching the parade from the beach with your crew.
Late Mike&Kim

Phat Matt
06-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by cola
I was thinking the same about you two. I think you need to give the blender another chance. Nice boat you have also. We rolled by the Educatot's outside of Parker Sunday night. I thought teachers took off ALL SUMMER.
The best part of the regatta was watching the parade from the beach with your crew.
Late Mike&Kim
Maybe I'll try your suggestion and shorten the cord. The EduKATor had to leave early because he is moving his brother up to Wyoming. Otherwise, they would have stayed. We'll be back out this Saturday. I can't wait! :)

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by cc322
waiting an hour for a hot dog just plain sucks, and they were not able to get dinner because the food was all gone
Must have been all The Laser owners at the front of the line! :p :D

Dr. Eagle
06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Wouldn't it be funny to show up with a bunch of different boats with Essex stickers all over them and try to blend in... he he he....

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Wouldn't it be funny to show up with a bunch of different boats with Essex stickers all over them and try to blend in... he he he.... I actually thought of doing that but didn't want to give anyone ammunition.;) :D

THATJEFFGUY
06-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Wow, this Amy chick must be a real "piece of work" ! I went over to Essex 2 years ago too look at boats and she was a total bitch then too ! And the funny thing is, she isn't even hot enough to have a s h i t t y attitude !!

Kilrtoy
06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
And the funny thing is, she isn't even hot enough to have a s h i t t y attitude
maybe she needs a rear end alignment

Essex502
06-30-2004, 05:54 AM
Sure did Ziggy. Got to know (only a little bit so far) Dennis and Trina. Also, talked to Karl yesterday as well!

Essex502
06-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Now that I've taken some bashing I feel better. I'm sure Jokers Wild was to blame for the dinner and activities, but I did see Amy get very nasty with another owner and that's when I said Fu** this.
I do agree about the bullitt proof boat, but what happens when something does happen and the customer service side fails? Apparently I'm the only one who has taken their boat in for service there spotless and had it returned with grease marks on the seats and a filthy interior. To top it off Anthony the service manager told me upper management said there job was done.
Todd...when I have taken the boat to Essex (now it stays in Havasu) the boat was always spotless when it was returned. Usually, someone was cleaning it as I pulled up. Maybe four different occasions. I don't know the new service guy but Alex and Duane before him wouldn't have let a boat go out without it being spotless. My service has been phenominal whenever I needed repair, warranty or just maintenance work.

Essex502
06-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Nope..no Laser owners..we kept a look-out for them.
The hotdog line was long because they got a late start. Announced that it was supposed to start at 12:00 and they didn't starting cooking the dogs until then...of course it takes time to cook them and the line grew as people didn't want to wait too long. Had them all sat back and chilled with a cold one it would have gone a lot smoother. We got in line at about 10 minutes to 12:00 and were - maybe - 20 or so people from the head of the line and it still took us 1/2 hour to get our dogs. Went back for seconds at nearly 2:00 and the line moved in 5 minutes or less.
Did the Essex Regatta in 2002 have a BBQ?

duffster
06-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Hey if going to Essex Regatta 2004 and not getting your hotdog on time is such a big deal you should have stayed home and went to Costco. I was happy to get out have some beers and run the poker run with other Essex boats. Plus it was cool winning a digital camera at the party on Saturday night with raffle ticket from the Havasu Springs pull. But if I did not win anything it would still be a killer trip to the river as always.

Dr. Eagle
06-30-2004, 08:07 AM
I actually thought of doing that but didn't want to give anyone ammunition.;) :D
Still think it would have been fun.......:D

duffster
07-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Dose anyone know when they will post the 04 regatta photos on the Essex web site? Did Jokers Wild take the pictures or was it all Essex.

FIREH2O
07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I hate to make my first post a complaint, but with the Essex service bashing, I can't help but add to it. I had some gel repair done last November (third time back for hazing of previous repair), when I picked it up in January, it was worse than ever. I got the same line from Anthony, "we think it looks good". The problems included surface pitting, color mismatch, sanding marks and my favorite, marks they made with a white grease pencil to outline the area of concern when I dropped it off. The white marks are now under the clear they shot over the repair (unbelievable!).
When I said I wasn't going to take it home like that, I was told it would cost me $10.00 a day for them to "store" it.
I did speak to Ron via phone while I was there, (he was not in that day), he sent the gel repair tech over, and with about an hour and a half, he made an improvement, but it still sucks. Ron also said they would be willing to look at it later this year...right then seemed like the only time to salvage me as a supportive customer. I followed up with a three page letter, of course, no response, unless you count the two regatta invites we got- they gotta be kidding.
I keep the boat in Havasu, and am looking for a new place for future service, etc...

Essex502
07-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by FIREH2O
I hate to make my first post a complaint, but with the Essex service bashing, I can't help but add to it. I had some gel repair done last November (third time back for hazing of previous repair), when I picked it up in January, it was worse than ever. I got the same line from Anthony, "we think it looks good". The problems included surface pitting, color mismatch, sanding marks and my favorite, marks they made with a white grease pencil to outline the area of concern when I dropped it off. The white marks are now under the clear they shot over the repair (unbelievable!).
When I said I wasn't going to take it home like that, I was told it would cost me $10.00 a day for them to "store" it.
I did speak to Ron via phone while I was there, (he was not in that day), he sent the gel repair tech over, and with about an hour and a half, he made an improvement, but it still sucks. Ron also said they would be willing to look at it later this year...right then seemed like the only time to salvage me as a supportive customer. I followed up with a three page letter, of course, no response, unless you count the two regatta invites we got- they gotta be kidding.
I keep the boat in Havasu, and am looking for a new place for future service, etc...
Service in Havasu - I use Savage Marine, some on here like Alco...both are good...when Barney is back from his vacation he's the guy to go to for Gel work - if he takes up that business again.
Seems like the service department took a turn for the worse since Alex left. Both he and Duane before them were impeccable in their care of our boat. To bad...I haven't been back since I moved the boat to LHC just because of the difference.

Ziggy
07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
Wow, this Amy chick must be a real "piece of work" ! I went over to Essex 2 years ago too look at boats and she was a total bitch then too ! And the funny thing is, she isn't even hot enough to have a s h i t t y attitude !!
So you're saying if she was HOT it would be OK for her to have a bad attitude??:confused: I'd rethink that one if I were you, no hottie is worth the BS they can dish out.:D nor worth loosing a woody because she's such a whiner---LOL

Ziggy
07-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Sure did Ziggy. Got to know (only a little bit so far) Dennis and Trina. Also, talked to Karl yesterday as well!
Talked with D&T just a day ago, said they enjoyed meeting you and chatting..They're good people. They're out the whole week, celebrating their Anniversary TODAY..think its their 15th.
Hope Karl is taking good care of you..let me know if he isn't, I'll kick him in the arse:D I think he takes alot of pride in his work. And if you need something CNC'd he does a little of that at home sometimes too;)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Hope Karl is taking good care of you..let me know if he isn't, I'll kick him in the arse:D I think he takes alot of pride in his work. And if you need something CNC'd he does a little of that at home sometimes too;)
Is Karl the satellite guy?

Ziggy
07-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Nah, he's an architect for Summit Homes..E502 has been working with him.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Nah, he's an architect for Summit Homes..E502 has been working with him.
Ah, makes sens. E502, that land baron that he is! :cool:

Essex502
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Different Karl...must be a popular name in LHC! :D

FIREH2O
07-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Service in Havasu - I use Savage Marine, some on here like Alco...both are good...when Barney is back from his vacation he's the guy to go to for Gel work - if he takes up that business again.
Seems like the service department took a turn for the worse since Alex left. Both he and Duane before them were impeccable in their care of our boat. To bad...I haven't been back since I moved the boat to LHC just because of the difference.
Thanks for the info, you're right about Alex and Duane. The real ironic part is last summer, I had a 30 min. conversation with Ron about the fact the customer should not be the only quality control agent at Essex. The conversation took place as I was standing at the curb, waiting for my boat to repaired after it was "ready" the time before last. Thanks again.

Essex502
07-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Firewater...if you're in Havasu look us up...we usually hang in Steamboat - almost always beached - on Saturdays when we're in town.

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I owned an Essex for eight years and after reading through this thread I see Some of you feel the same as I do about Ron. At least he has not changed and he's still arrogant as ever.:wink:
Oh, I went to the two previous regatta's and they were fun and pretty well organized. Doesn't sound like this one went as well.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Oh, I went to the two previous regatta's and they were fun and pretty well organized. Doesn't sound like this one went as well.
The biggest problem was the dinner, other than that it was a great time!

Essex502
07-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I have to admit that I've never thought much about Ron. Met the third brother at the boat show in 2000 and he sold me the boat. That brother (Ed I think) only helped at the boat shows and didn't work for Essex directly. Then met Steve when we picked up the boat. Didn't meet Ron for a while. Might not have bought the boat from them if I'd met Ron first.

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll handle this for Frenchie.... :D
better customer service try here
trade your Essex here (http://www.shockwaveboats.com)

redneckgirl
07-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dicudmore
:eek: LMAO :D :D
RNG

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 09:56 AM
And for even better customer service and great boats try here:
http://ultraboats.com/
;) :D

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
:eek: LMAO :D :D
RNG
I figured you'd like that too RNG :D

duffster
07-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Sorry still sold on Essex. They have a better ride for a 21.

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
in a 21' my $$$ would be on a Hallett Vector
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385hallett-med.jpg

duffster
07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Let don't even start with Halletts customer service. Have you ever tryed to ask them a question at the boat show with out getting a smart ass answer. I agree great boats but the people behind them suck.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Sorry, won't be trading in my Essex for any of those other boats.

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry still sold on Essex. They have a better ride for a 21.
I'd never knock the quality of an Essex. They build great boats. I would have probably bought another one if they built a boat around the same size as my Ultra that had a mid cabin option and was not Imo...ugly like there 25 Tempest. If there's any Tempest owners here on the boards. Sorry if I offend you...... I just think that is one ugly boat. Built nice but just not my taste.

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Let don't even start with Halletts customer service. Have you ever tryed to ask them a question at the boat show with out getting a smart ass answer. I agree great boats but the people behind them suck.
never tried to ask them for anything. I hear they can be a little arrogant though....
I just like the boat. Same with Nordic....they're a-holes in the office but nice boats and Mike along with the rest will do good service on them.

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 10:31 AM
I'd never knock the quality of an Essex. They build great boats. I would have probably bought another one if they built a boat around the same size as my Ultra that had a mid cabin option and was not Imo...ugly like there 25 Tempest. If there's any Tempest owners here on the boards. Sorry if I offend you...... I just think that is one ugly boat. Built nice but just not my taste.
I think the phrase you're referring to there Jim is "There's an ass for every seat"

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Sorry, won't be trading in my Essex for any of those other boats.
I wouldn't be trading "The queen mary" for one of those boats either Scott :D

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
502, trailerjim, RNG, HD.....
you guys know I was joking with the shockwave thing, just wanted to throw that plug in there before FRENCHIE got here and said "shoulda bought a shockwave"
y'all know I have a Cheetah, not a SHOCKWAVE, or a HALLETT

Essex502
07-02-2004, 10:38 AM
At least with Essex, a deal's a deal and the price don't change.:D

Essex502
07-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I agree...tremendous quality and built like tanks. My next boat prolly won't be an Essex either due to the lack of a fast hull in a 28' range....Howard is prolly where I'll end up.

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 10:42 AM
you guys know I was joking with the shockwave thing, just wanted to throw that plug in there before FRENCHIE got here and said "shoulda bought a shockwave"
Lol....I know you were joking as was I. But I'm sure if Frenchie was here we'd be seeing the Shockwave plug soon.;) :D

Essex502
07-02-2004, 10:43 AM
I agree on the fugly-ness of the Tempest. Can't stomach it. Of course, taste is personal.

duffster
07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
This thread needs to get better last time many moons ago Amy actually logged in and went off. If Essex customer service needs to change people need to speak up.

redneckgirl
07-02-2004, 10:46 AM
At least with Essex, a deal's a deal and the price don't change.:D
:D :D That had nothing to do with Shockwave!!! We know it is all in fun!!! :D
RNG

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Howard is prolly where I'll end up.
And I'll be very envious of you if buy one.:D

Essex502
07-02-2004, 10:49 AM
And I'll be very envious of you if buy one.:D
We're only waiting until our bigger garage is done! At least that's the plan.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I know you were kidding Dan, no worries.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I agree on the fugly-ness of the Tempest. Can't stomach it. Of course, taste is personal.
As E502 knows they just added a step to the bottom of the 25 and they plan on re-tooling the deck. The new 27 from Essex will also have a step hull.

Bre
07-02-2004, 11:21 AM
When we had our Laser we had nothing but problems with them when we took it in for service ect. They always took longer than they said they would and the boat always came back dirty. Nice boat..bad customer service. The service manager was an ass too ..we had a nice lil argument outside.
In Havasu we take our boat to Savage Marine and would never use anyone else. If our engine was Coast Guard approved then we could have the choice of Savage and Alco. But we don't. From what I hear from everyone else Alco is just as great as Savage. We all need to save our gel coat/fiberglass repair needs for Barney when he get's back out so he will have some $$ to get back on his feet.:)

Essex502
07-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Bre
We all need to save our gel coat/fiberglass repair needs for Barney when he get's back out so he will have some $$ to get back on his feet.:)
I heard a rumour that Barney isn't going back into the gel repair business when he returns from his "vacation". Can't say it's true...just relayed to me so it's hearsay.

dicudmore
07-02-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree...tremendous quality and built like tanks. My next boat prolly won't be an Essex either due to the lack of a fast hull in a 28' range....Howard is prolly where I'll end up.
have I mentioned that I want a ride on that Howard :confused:
:D

jbtrailerjim
07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
As E502 knows they just added a step to the bottom of the 25 and they plan on re-tooling the deck. The new 27 from Essex will also have a step hull.
That's good news. I guess word must have gotten back to Ron that it's style didn't appeal to a lot of people. A stepped bottom should get that thing to perform a little better too. I remember reading a test done on one with a 496MagHO and I remember the numbers weren't real impressive.

Todd969
07-06-2004, 07:58 AM
FYI: I left 2 messages a day last week for Ron and still haven't heard back. Funny thing is he knows I am interested in the 25 or 27. Customer service will kill this company.
Nice link by those Shockwave people, doesn't even work.
Went and looked at Dana and Commander this weekend. Found Dana to be quite nice and willing to discuss things. The 27' seems to be well built. The sales guy wasn't pushy and understood what I wanted.
Commander was also nice, looked at the 26' there, not quite as exciting as others, but the hull seems to be solid and the transom looks solid. The interior wasn't near what my Essex is, but not Bayliner like either. Good deal for the dollars.
Going to look at Shockwave this weekend.
Since Alex and Duane left Service has been crap at Essex. For those that are west of Ontario, try B&D marine in El Monte, great customer service and very resonable.

FIREH2O
07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
E502, thanks again, sorry for the delay in response, just got back from Havasu. We usually avoid the weekends until late September and October, but we will keep our eyes open for you in Steamboat then.
Not to pile on, but I met another pissed off Essex owner in the Channel this week- same story...Like to see something change, but I'm not holding my breath, and I will be checking out your suggestions for service this off season.

THATJEFFGUY
07-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Todd...stay away from Commander !! You'll have nothing but problems with them ! Just do a search on Commander and you will see that I'm not the only one with this opinion. There are way too many decent boats out there to waste your money on a POS Commander ! Just my $.02.....and get me some popcorn please!!

Ziggy
07-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Todd...stay away from Commander !! You'll have nothing but problems with them ! Just do a search on Commander and you will see that I'm not the only one with this opinion. There are way too many decent boats out there to waste your money on a POS Commander ! Just my $.02.....and get me some popcorn please!!
It goes to show you Jeff that other brands have pissed off customers too, they just don't have as good of a bandwagon driver as you...I understand your plight but your bashing is getting old. Go on with your life.

mtndewdrops
07-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey back on track here, contrary to most stories, we had a great time at the regatta. We met Havasu_Dreamin and Essex502. Thanks guys for letting us tie up at Thompson Bay!
We only stood in line for what, 20 minutes for a Hot Dog at the beach party. Got to B.S. with lots of nice peeps. We enjoyed the poker run very much even though the concitions were rough for a 21'.
We made sure to be quick to get in the chow line at the Aquatic Center and enjoyed a great meal. IMO the drinks were cheap too.
Too bad we couldn't win that Poker Run, heck my first three cards were a A,J,10 of hearts and then followed by a 3 and 8 of clubs.:(
What do you expect for $15 per person??? Sheesh

Kilrtoy
07-08-2004, 11:12 PM
.[At least with Essex, a deal's a deal and the price don't change
Yeah F#$%in Right
lets hear about the problems with the 22 when it first came out, Did they ever do the recall they claimed they were going to do....

Todd969
07-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I spoke to OC the other day and he told me to find you and discuss the Commander idea. On another note I'm about 98.9% sold on the Dana 27 and since that is the wifes name she seems to be going right along with it.
In reply to other Essex people, sorry that I didn't meet more of the happier ones. Apparently I got stuck on the disgruntled side.
I'm beginning to think our boat name has something to do with it.

Essex502
07-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Yeah F#$%in Right
lets hear about the problems with the 22 when it first came out, Did they ever do the recall they claimed they were going to do....
Recall of what? An Essex or a Shockwave? Never heard about either.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah F#$%in Right
This is the first I have ever heard of this. What were the problems? Regardless, a deal with Essex is a deal, they don't move on price.

Essex502
07-09-2004, 08:10 AM
There men of their word. You might not get the word you desire but it will be upheld in my experience.

BENZEEN
07-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Recall of what? An Essex or a Shockwave? Never heard about either.
I don't know if this would be considered a "recall" issue, but I was told by Alex that the Vortex hull had been modified in 2002 for stability purposes.
This modification cost the hull 2-3MPH, according to him. The Vortex in the sales brochure has a pre 2002 test in it. That boat, tested by ***boat, attained 68MPH with the 377 Scorpion.
But, he did not say anything about a recall.
-Vik

Kilrtoy
07-09-2004, 12:17 PM
BENZEEN hit the nail on the head
But when you put real power to it, it would vibrate and have issues with stability. At 70 Plus it was out of control.
For people who dont know about this, I wonder if they were ever contacted.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 12:22 PM
This guy cracks me up. Azz you can see I love my Commander
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616DCP_0438-med.JPG

Essex502
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
BENZEEN hit the nail on the head
But when you put real power to it, it would vibrate and have issues with stability. At 70 Plus it was out of control.
For people who dont know about this, I wonder if they were ever contacted.
Not to necessarily dispute it but who said it was "out-of_control"? Was it like the "unstable" unnamed boat that Hot Boat editoralized (which from private sources I heard was a Lavey)? Or the 270 that ejected the passengers at Castaic (heard it was a Hallett)? Or the DCB that tossed its load a couple of weekend's ago?
This is the first I've heard of a stability issue with the Vortex hull...
Where are the facts?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Not to necessarily dispute it but who said it was "out-of_control"? Was it like the "unstable" unnamed boat that Hot Boat editoralized (which from private sources I heard was a Lavey)? Or the 270 that ejected the passengers at Castaic (heard it was a Hallett)? Or the DCB that tossed its load a couple of weekend's ago?
Where are the facts?
Hay I like no mention of Commander LOLOLOLOLOLOLO, where's thatjeffguy now LOLOLOLOLOLO:D

Todd969
07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Just heard Commander filed for BK. That's strange.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Just heard Commander filed for BK. That's strange.
Yeah so did 3 airlines and people are still flying there planes

Todd969
07-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Agreed! Just found it odd. I didn't knock the Commander. We looked last weekend and if you saw my other post I even said they seemed ok. Every boat has is own +/- and you buy what works for ya.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
No problem, I use to own a 26 Sig before I got the 32 Sig I love them both. Commander does have some service issues but the boats I have no problems with

Essex502
07-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
Hay I like no mention of Commander LOLOLOLOLOLOLO, where's thatjeffguy now LOLOLOLOLOLO:D
Didn't hear the Commanders had handling problems.

Kilrtoy
07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Where are the facts?
I said it was out of control, The owner of the boat said it was out of control and asked me to see if I thought the same and the year that it spent in the shop getting redesigned while my buddy made payments, BUT HAD NO BOAT.
Obviously the owner thought the same that is why he retooled or added a pad to his product....
Dont get me wrong the company did everthing short of giving him a new hull,
WHICH I WOULD HAVE DEMANDED ONE.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 01:14 PM
They have had a few but so does everyone out there. I dont think there is a perfect boat or auto builder out there. Just with and investment you have to check on it and make sure its right. Thats why these are called custom boats. If anyone does not check and there investment while it's being built, dont cry when it comes out F***-up. I was there every other day when my 32 was being built because I wanted to make sure it was right and came out the way I ordered it
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1616Havasu_2004_037-med.jpg

BENZEEN
07-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
This guy cracks me up. Azz you can see I love my Commander
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616DCP_0438-med.JPG
SYO,
Three words, De li scious. Those are some nice Booties. Oh, and the boat ain't bad either. LOL!

BENZEEN
07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Where are the facts?
E502,
Alex did mention that he had experienced problems while testing the first Vortex with big power. He said he was pitched to the floor, but I believe he said he was driving very aggressively for testing purposes. Now, I don't know what he means by big power, but he did say it pushed it deep into the seventies.
According to him, this problem no longer exists. I have never had haddling issues with mine, but then again, I've never seen even close to 70MPH.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 07:40 PM
:eek:

K9Blitz
07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Thankfully they got it right on the 24' Valor. No problems... built solid like a brick shithouse.

RiverKitty
07-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Pics from the 2002 ESSEX Regatta (http://community.webshots.com/album/53803560CDsmeP)

Todd969
07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Eliminator? trying to make a point? Sold our 96 210 Eagle to get
the Essex. Quality wise couldn't compare the 2. It's almost like going from a Bayliner to Cobalt.

RiverKitty
07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
:D

Kilrtoy
07-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Eliminator? trying to make a point? Sold our 96 210 Eagle to get
the Essex. Quality wise couldn't compare the 2. It's almost like going from a Bayliner to Cobalt.
Never heard anyone compare a eliminator to bayliner, That is a first......

Boozer
07-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Thats like comparing Chicken liver to a Porterhouse.
I know first hand. I own the chicken liver and have ridden on the Porterhouse. No comparisson. My cookie cutter was okay at home everyone had a cookie cutter. I better hit the Lotto ASAP to fit in with you guys out here.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
OUCH OUCH :D :D

Todd969
07-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Clarifying: Eliminator to Essex is like Bayliner to Cobalt in respect to overall quality. Didn't say that our Eagle was a POS, but you can tell a huge difference in the construction and workmanship.

duffster
07-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Did anyone take any pictures at the regatta that they can post here.
Essex seems to be having issues posting the ones they took on their web site. I emailed Jokers Wild and they said they will not be putting them on their site and that Ron from Essex owns them.
Nice

Essex502
07-27-2004, 06:15 AM
We have a few but only of friend's boats. One of our friends that attended but wasn't an Essex owner took pictures from the dock in front of the London Bridge Resort...I haven't gotten the CD with the pics on them from him yet but would be happy to post them when I do. We'll be seeing him this weekend.